The Boston Tea Party

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19024
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

The Boston Tea Party

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am

From Edward Brooke to Scott Brown. :shock:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby WoVeU » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Do you think this could be a temporary reprieve from moving further towards Socialism?
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19024
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 pm

WoVeU wrote:Do you think this could be a temporary reprieve from moving further towards Socialism?


I think that even the people of Boston are starting to realise what all of this is going to cost and that Obama can't possibly get all the money he needs from the rich. If I were Brown, though, I wouldn't get too comfortable in that seat. There is a reason Teddy Kennedy held that seat over 40 years. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby WoVeU » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Yes, I too believe the "ship of change" has been found in the Harbor being tugged by a ship of cha-ching! Even by many of those who were applauding the christening! :roll:

Too bad in some ways...I wanted to try a bunch of "change promise" at my next job interview. :cry:
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19024
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:59 pm

My view is that there does need to be health reform. I just think the states should do it individually. The problem with the federal government is that once they do something it adds so many layers and creates so much dependence on so many different parts that you can't control it or fix the problems. You just create more problems. Let 50 states solve it they way they think is best. Then let those same states look at all the other states and decide who is doing it right and change it. Maybe the conservatives have the best plan or maybe the liberals will - I don't know - but by getting 50 different ideas into practice the states will eventually find four or five plans that work well. Trial and error - yes - but the states will learn quickly what works and what doesn't. They can adjust. The federal government has no real way to compare and dump the bad for good.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby WoVeU » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Spence wrote:My view is that there does need to be health reform. I just think the states should do it individually. The problem with the federal government is that once they do something it adds so many layers and creates so much dependence on so many different parts that you can't control it or fix the problems. You just create more problems. Let 50 states solve it they way they think is best. Then let those same states look at all the other states and decide who is doing it right and change it. Maybe the conservatives have the best plan or maybe the liberals will - I don't know - but by getting 50 different ideas into practice the states will eventually find four or five plans that work well. Trial and error - yes - but the states will learn quickly what works and what doesn't. They can adjust. The federal government has no real way to compare and dump the bad for good.


I am big on the 50 platforms of development that we have lost. Wal-Mart is just a store...yet they use their vast amount of stores, markets, and relations to try new things through a launch, trial, and testing. Many companies do this but we don't with government, stupid.

My big problem is Insurance Companies. We pay for health care and an insurance industry...how affordable can you possibly make it. Replacing it with government control just shifts the problem from profit hogging to 0 competition. I think hospitals and doctors offices (family practices) should be linked at some level. Then they should take the people processing insurance claims to people receiving membership payments and investing these. Just cutting out the massive middle man. How much money was made in health insurance last year? And how much did they spend on internal overhead? (So, how much of the big pile that went through the IC's made its way to medical payments?)

Then you have all of the liability and paying for the lawyers on top of this? Which is already on top of massive spending clearing Medical Safety (FDA, AMA, etc.) and the related requirements. It is just a quagmire!

But we have this mess everywhere, I deal with the NFPA (NEC), UL, and all of the requirements on products. Trust me, the spending greatly exceeds the quality and safety it delivers. It sometimes even gets in the way. If we just paid for the Manufacturing, (Proper) Engineering, Required sales and Management staffing in this country (and around the world to a large degree) we'd have a lot more people earning a living and enjoying a much higher quality of life all around!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19024
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 am

I'm not a big fan of how insurance works now either. Insurance used to spread the liability among all their clients and also spread it out of a period of time. Now they want to recover their payouts every single year by the actual group that is insured. Lots of the reasons for that is companies started shoping around and changing policy's every year.

I don't really know enough about how to spread the risk around to make it work. You would have to have a layer of underwriters so make sure it all works. I think - as much as I hate to say it - that insurance should probably regulated like a public utility. Insurance has become a part of our lives that we can't do without and it is also at it's core a monopoly because they are all so interconnected.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5453
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Derek » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:36 am

I am in Boston right now, and I've talked to some people around here that I am working with on a project, all of them Brown supporters.

Just to think that they had 2.2 million people show up to vote on an off-election is pretty amazing.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

- John Madden

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19024
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Derek wrote:I am in Boston right now, and I've talked to some people around here that I am working with on a project, all of them Brown supporters.

Just to think that they had 2.2 million people show up to vote on an off-election is pretty amazing.



I'm going to Boston late this summer. I have been looking at places to stay - I've been looking at a place called the Liberty Hotel. Have you seen it ? I'm taking my wife and we wanted to stay somewhere that had local flavor not one of the chains. I just get nervous not knowing what I am going to walk into.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10235
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:51 am

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:30 pm

The reason they elected Brown was because of the failed policies of Romney Care. Massachusetts is a very liberal state, but they've experienced and denounced a certain version of health care reform.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 9-27

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5453
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Derek » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:48 am

Spence wrote:
Derek wrote:I am in Boston right now, and I've talked to some people around here that I am working with on a project, all of them Brown supporters.

Just to think that they had 2.2 million people show up to vote on an off-election is pretty amazing.



I'm going to Boston late this summer. I have been looking at places to stay - I've been looking at a place called the Liberty Hotel. Have you seen it ? I'm taking my wife and we wanted to stay somewhere that had local flavor not one of the chains. I just get nervous not knowing what I am going to walk into.


I'm staying in a suburb of Boston called Concord, doing a project with Welch's, the grape juice people.

Not heard of that hotel. Give me a street name and I'll ride by next week and check it out if it's not too far from me.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

- John Madden

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19024
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:52 am

Charles Street on the Charles River basin. It is downtown beside Mass. general hospital. It is the old Boston jail remodeled into a hotel. I can't tell you how far it is because I have never been to Boston. Don't go out of your way if you aren't going that way. I made the reservations so I am going no matter what. I figure because the people of Massachusett were willing to look past their majority and vote against an out of control government that the least I could do is go there and spend some money.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby WoVeU » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Spence wrote: I figure because the people of Massachusett were willing to look past their majority and vote against an out of control government that the least I could do is go there and spend some money.


:lol:
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19024
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Could it be that they finally get it ?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-01-25-reid-deficit-plan_N.htm?csp=34&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

If they make it impossible to waive the limits without raising taxes, if the bill actually has teeth, then it will force the american people to decide what is really important and what they can live without. A good thing IMO. Although I am not as keen about the bill they are adding it to borrowing another 2 trillion before the rules come down on them.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

User avatar
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 6074
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Location: New Braunfels, Texas
Contact:

Re: The Boston Tea Party

Postby WoVeU » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Spence wrote:Could it be that they finally get it ?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-01-25-reid-deficit-plan_N.htm?csp=34&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

If they make it impossible to waive the limits without raising taxes, if the bill actually has teeth, then it will force the american people to decide what is really important and what they can live without. A good thing IMO. Although I am not as keen about the bill they are adding it to borrowing another 2 trillion before the rules come down on them.


BS! What a crock, I don't buy this for a second...not one! This is an obvious grand-standing mission in an attempt to stop the mass public opinion swing of the Democrat Party! You posted this right where it should be.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest