US Military Base Shooting...

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

Re: US Military Base Shooting...

Postby Dossenator » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:32 pm

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_fort_hood ... ng_suspect)
WASHINGTON – U.S. officials say a Pentagon worker on a terrorism task force looked into Fort Hood shooting suspect Nidal Hasan's background months ago, and concluded he did not merit further investigation.

Two officials say the Washington-based task force was notified of communications between Hasan and a radical imam overseas, and the information was turned over to a Defense Criminal Investigative Service employee assigned to the task force.

That worker wrote up an assessment of Hasan after reviewing the Army major's personnel file and the communications.

The disclosure is important because it shows the Defense Department was aware since late last year of Hasan's contacts with the imam.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.

Explain to me why there is any tolerance on this issue. If you are speaking to known radicals, people on the most wanted list, dangerous Islamic terrorists....no matter what your conversations intell...then how do you keep a military job. He should have been dismissed.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:45 pm

The answer is because we are spending our time, effort and talents to make sure plane passengers do not take more than 3 ounces of after shave on the plane.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:34 pm

Doss, I would encourage you to read this op-ed. It's spot on IMO. 8)

Cal Thomas never pulls punches from what I've read and that always makes interesting read to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/11/10/cal-thomas-hasan-muslims-military-political-correctness/
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Derek wrote:Doss, I would encourage you to read this op-ed. It's spot on IMO. 8)

Cal Thomas never pulls punches from what I've read and that always makes interesting read to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/11/10/cal-thomas-hasan-muslims-military-political-correctness/

Thanks Derek...I enjoyed that read as well. I hope America wakes up before it's too late. However, it does not help when we have a president that tries to devert the truth in almost every speach...just like he did today during the Fort Hood ceremony. How many 911's, Cole's, Embassy Bombings, Suicide Bombers on a daily basis often killing Americans, and Fort Hood's will it take to make people realize what we are truly up against here.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:36 pm

Derek wrote:Doss, I would encourage you to read this op-ed. It's spot on IMO. 8)

Basic truths. We have to start talking in true terms.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:44 am

I could almost hear the strains of "Onward Christian Soldiers" as martial music playing in the background. The hair on the back of my neck stood up.

Ah Americans! At least we are consistant.

Yep, we did throw japanese americans into camps when we were at war with the japanese. They might have been sympathetic to the japanese cause and do untold damage. And, they were "Japs", weren't they?. We didn't do so with our good german american citizens although we were at war with germans. They were more "like us"...just good Christian lads who just happened to be german in origin.

Absolutely...we must identify and separate muslims...maybe laws can be passed to demand that they wear an identifier on their clothing (maybe a yellow star or something), maybe forbid their entry into the military. Why stop there? After all, all muslims are out to destroy us.

We need a Goebbels like anti muslim media campaign...maybe some of those Nazi anti jewish posters could be recycled with a change in art.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:21 pm

I remember when I entered the military I had to sign, as all military people did, a form that listed...I do not want to exaggerate...but would guess...almost 500 organizations and attest that I did not belong to or have sympathy with any of them. They were mostly communist, I think. Did anyone else remember that list?

This was a case, it seems, where there was a lot of information on this guy and no one did anything. That seemingly is what government does best....gather information and do nothing. When they do something, they have gathered zero information.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:55 pm

The FBI and army really didn't have that much to work with.

Major Hasan talked via email to a radical imam, now considered a terrorist, who used to be imam at his mosque. The emails were innocuous in nature and proved to be related to a research paper that the Major was writing.

What are you going to do? The guy doesn't have a glass head. You don't know that he is dangerous from the emails. Talking to a radical imam about philosphy in treating soldiers is not the same as plotting destructive acts.

One can say, I guess, that talking to a promoter of terrorism, even on an innocent subject matter, should have raised more of an investigative red flag. But, that is only in hindsight.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:23 pm

And..I think Lieberman is playing to the audience. He will hold hearings to examine the "whys" of Major Hasan's rage and massacre and what could have been done to stop it.

Joe Lieberman tried to put the Fort Hood slaughter in a religious context, specifically in an Islamic context. Now, he won't say that the problem is not Islam but fanatics of all faiths. I mean, just because the history of the world has been scarred by one religious massacre or assassination after another by people of all faiths is no reason not to single out Muslims.

But, I do wonder where his outrage was when in 1994, a Brooklyn Jew, Baruch Goldstein, massacred 29 Palestinians at prayer in Hebron? Did he condemn and examine the Jewish paranoia and rage that drove him and the cranked up Holocaust victimology used to excuse his deeds?

Nor will he recognize the ugliness of some current Isreali thought that preaches that murdering arab babies is OK because they might grow up to oppose Isreal. Two Rabbi's have been interviewed in the Hebrew papers and have said..."There is justification for killing babies if it is clear that they will grow up to harm us, and in such a situation they may be harmed deliberately, and not only during combat with adults."

Other Rabbi's preach justification for murder...

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1126890.html

We should condemn the jihadists and guard against them. They are a monstrous bunch and they pose an immediate threat to us all. But they are not unique or alone. All "faiths" have their bloody jihadists. The irony is that the haters who adhere to other faiths are now ganging up on Muslims with the argument that "Islam is different."

Really? Different than what?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Liberman is a typical politician - playing to an audience. My take on this is we need to prosecute this guy to the fullest and move on. I agree with BB on this one.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 am

After BB's post that turned an anti-PC argument into a Communist Bronze Sculpture....I agree on those points. Nutzo's everywhere, including atheists...they then act out for political reasons.

The difference is, you couldn't find millions of Jewish or Christian people killing civilians over the last 50 years under a pledge, and pledging to do even more. These aren't nuts and mentally broken people that find cause to kill for, this is a "Cause" that creates mentally broken people. This thing is like Vietnam on Steroids and PCP. Dishonorable people squirreling around amongst society, killing people going about their daily lives. This "war" can not be won with militant and honorable means. I promise that. So you break the Taliban, 2 years later a new name and the same old killing. If I made a list of any "type" of people in society and decided to kill as many as I could, how many could I take out before they got me? Depends on my patience, resources, and skill, I find it hard to believe how few they have killed. These aren't warriors they are hunters. Hunters who go into Zoo's and Wildlife Retreats and Reservations to claim their game.

When we quit buying Middle Eastern oil THEN the problem will go away. They have basically no other resource. I have never seen sand bullets.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:14 am

Not in recent history, but we have all had our day. :wink:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:18 pm

Spence wrote:Not in recent history, but we have all had our day. :wink:

I can buy Christians and Jews being off-based and fanatical and radical in the past. I would think they behaved with less cowardice from what I have read and heard. Much slaughtering in darker ages...best I can tell they lined up and brought it to the enemy, right or wrong. Hunting civilians is as cowardly as it comes!
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Not just in the past but even today we have radicals do things in the name of Christianity. The guy who killed the abortion doctor, for instance. I am a christian and I believe in the teachings of Christ, but I conceed that there are plenty of people that do things in the name of Christianity that you or I would not condon. Even sects of people - as in those from Waco - some years back. All religions have their share of unsavory people. I know some Muslims, not many - but some. Except for the way the worship, they aren't that different from me. They are citizens of this country, they vote, the pay taxes, they gripe about the taxes, and they raise their families just like I do - except for their religious customs - they are the same as me as far as I can tell. I like to form opinons on people individually, not by any particular grouping. People have in the past assumed things about me, that couldn't be further from the truth, because of sterotypes. This shooter may have been part of a subgroup of religious fanatics. He may have been a singular fanatic. In either case he wasn't wound to tight and should be brought to justice according to the law. That doesn't mean we should seek a measure of justice from his family or anyone else not involved.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:35 am

1. The US has seized 4 mosques, and a New York City Tower linked to Iran...all in the US (in New York, California, Maryland, Texas, and Virginia).

"Federal prosecutors took steps Thursday to seize four U.S. mosques and a Fifth Avenue skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization long suspected of being secretly controlled by the Iranian government.

In what could prove to be one of the biggest counterterrorism seizures in U.S. history, prosecutors filed a civil complaint in federal court against the Alavi Foundation, seeking the forfeiture of more than $500 million in assets."

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091113/ap_ ... forfeiture)

2. Also, Hasan was charged with 13 counts of murder today...possibly 14 since one lady was pregnant. I find it ironic that they may charge him for murder of an unborn child when we as a nation have allowed over 50 million abortions (murder) since Roe v Wade. I am all for charging him for 14 murders. And what about any charges against the 30+ people he wounded.
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091113/ap_ ... d_shooting)

Return to “Off-Topic”