roger the rocket

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:08 pm

He is coming off what amounts to spring training and facing major league hitters that are in full stride. If anyone can do it, it is him, but I don't like his chances for tonight. It really depends on his control, if he has good control he won't have problems. I just don't know how he could have full comand of his pitches being off so long.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:54 pm

He's definately in the top 5, of all time greatest pitchers.

In no particular order

Sandy Koufax
Nolan Ryan
Greg Maddux
Roger Clemens
Phil Neikro
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:56 pm

What made Clemens so good was his control. He could throw heat, but he was very good at hitting his spots. If he can still do that he will be effective. Still even though he had a good start you have to wait until he gets a little tired to see if he can still gut it out.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:35 pm

I think we'll have to give Clemens 3 starts for Houston before an assessment can be made. We know he isn't at the top of his game when he pitches "decent" against minor leaguers. He was striking guys out at will for the San Antonio Hooks (AA, I think) but didn't do so hot in AAA for Round Rock. He'll start his best stuff in a couple starts, just a little time is needed.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:15 pm

Oh, I think he will be alright. He is a work out nut so he will be in good shape. It is just hard to come in in the middle of June and have to face hitters that are going full speed. At the start of the season pitchers can get away with stuff they can't once the hitters start seeing the ball well.

Return to “Off-Topic”