World Cup (Can Someone tell me?)

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:16 pm

I just can't watch soccer. Maybe if they scrapped a little more.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:14 pm

Anything the French are good at has to invove a lot of whining.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:02 pm

Soccer is not a great game, but it isn't terrible like many people think. I don't mind it. It can get a little boring when the final scores are 1-0 all of the time. It's like, "I spent 2 hours watching a game....for THIS?!" I just don't find it worth watching all of the time unless you have a scoring match. When it is 2-2, I might tune in because there is a chance they'll score again.

I do feel that ESPN is forcing this down our throats because ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 are airing this event. They seem to have the attitude that, "The World Loves It, So Should We. Look What We're Missing Out On! Make Sure to Check Out ABC for Iran and Mexico".
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:02 pm

Of course you do, these are just opinions. I think soccer is so much rougher than the credit they get.

So, how do you like our chances against Ghana? That was a crazy loss for the Czechs. So how about Ghana potentially qualifying? That'd be crazy, considering the Czechs, Itallians, and Americans were 3 of the best teams in the entire field.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:56 pm

I think Ghana is going to advance. As in they'll beat the U.S.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:20 pm

Hey guys, I was curious if you think that soccer is "catching on" in America like ESPN says it is. I don't think it is. The World Cup is a heck of a lot better soccer than the MLS or any of those other leagues in my opinion. So, I think when people tune in to watch the LA Galaxy and the New England Revolution and find it boring, yeah, then it will bomb. People in the U.S. aren't just going to start caring about Manchester United and Henry (I think that's how you spell his name, he's French, isn't he?).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:47 am

There are a lot of kids playing soccer now, so I would think that it should be catching on here. A guy I went to highschool with has a kid who just sign to play soccer for Ohio State. His dad was a heck of a football player and I don't think he ever played football, it was always soccer and track. He isn't an undersized kid either. I think he could have been good enough to get a D-1 scholarship as a DB.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:43 am

I watched a little bit of that game. You're right about those officials.

The Mexico/Argentina game was good too. That was a great shot to end the thing. I picked the Netherlands to win the whole thing, so I guess that prediction is toast.

Return to “Off-Topic”