Understanding Obama and our times.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Understanding Obama and our times.

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 am

WoVeU wrote:When I get done messing with little car designs...one day I want to design a 10 gauge belt fed auto.

Just for personal defense. A little something something.

They used to make a 12 gauge called the "street sweeper" You can't get them anymore, but it had a revolving magazine that was similar to a revolver except it had an automatic cartridge ejection system. It shot 12 - 12 gauge shells with shot or slugs. It looked alot like a tommy gun with a little wider magazine cartridge. It wasn't the most fun thing to shoot, but it was a very intimidating weapon. So much so they banned it in the US because it had no sporting use at all. Short barrel, not accurate at distances, it only had one use.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:34 am

Spence wrote:
WoVeU wrote:When I get done messing with little car designs...one day I want to design a 10 gauge belt fed auto.

They used to make a 12 gauge called the "street sweeper" You can't get them anymore, but it had a revolving magazine that was similar to a revolver except it had an automatic cartridge ejection system. It shot 12 - 12 gauge shells with shot or slugs. It looked alot like a tommy gun with a little wider magazine cartridge. It wasn't the most fun thing to shoot, but it was a very intimidating weapon. So much so they banned it in the US because it had no sporting use at all. Short barrel, not accurate at distances, it only had one use.

1 use...isn't that how we made those 80's jeans? A manufacturing tool!

I have seen that piece...but not for some time. (Never live and up close.)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:24 am

I'd also like to machine a new rifle (barrel and chamber). Using a .458 to .470 sized cartridge with a 150-180 grains bullet, hard steel alloy like 1090. Applying a progressive 36" barrel w/ rifling between 8.5 and 9.5 tpi. Something that could roll out above 5200 fps projectiles with high spin!

I've long wanted to attempt a dual engine gun. Employing a propellant cartridge but adapting a ceramic barrel at the core of a linear electromagnetic solenoidal-accelerator. This thing would only shoot .222 to .243 sized rounds (steel-ferrous bullets) but the barrel would be nearly as big as your fist and require something in the range of a 625 CCA car battery to power it. A 42" barrel having 50 cascaded solenoids (CO2 cooled, ~200 amps, 480Hz, ~72V full rectified reversible wave) to advance the acceleration of the bullet through the barrel length. One heavy system, but you'd be setting up shop 2+ miles from the target! I think you could achieve more than 6000 fps muzzle velocity.

Either could be used to really put the AT&T on somebody! 8)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 am

WoVeU wrote:
Spence wrote:

1 use...isn't that how we made those 80's jeans? A manufacturing tool!

I have seen that piece...but not for some time. (Never live and up close.)

I got to shoot it. It wasn't really made for target shooting. You didn't really even need to sight it. Close was good enough. The spray up close covered a wide patch. It would have been a good weapon for crowd control. :lol: :lol:

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:28 pm

How long ago was it that you got to shoot it?

If they made it with a longer barrel it would be one Hell of a bird gun!
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:09 pm

WoVeU wrote:How long ago was it that you got to shoot it?

It was probably 19 or 20 years ago. It must have been that long because I wouldn't have shot it if it was a banned weapon. That would be wrong. :wink: You could wipe out a whole flock of birds if you caught them all in one area on the ground. It wasn't good for shooting one bird. Especially in the air.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Spence wrote:
WoVeU wrote:How long ago was it that you got to shoot it?

It was probably 19 or 20 years ago. It must have been that long because I wouldn't have shot it if it was a banned weapon. That would be wrong. :wink: You could wipe out a whole flock of birds if you caught them all in one area on the ground. It wasn't good for shooting one bird. Especially in the air.

Ahhh! The Reagan Days. When it was OK, even encouraged, for an American to keep an arsenal. Something that allowed a man to feel all warm and cozy in his home (that he could actually afford.)
R. Reagan

Return to “Off-Topic”