Understanding Obama and our times.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Understanding Obama and our times.

Postby WoVeU » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Foreign cars can be as nice as they want....I'll never buy one! Many American car parts are made over seas, but other parts are made here and they are assembled here, and the profits stay here!

We have too little manufacturing here now and I am not going to contribute to its further demise. I find myself often thinking I'm the Last American, as it was defined to me some 30 years ago...and was likely a 10 to 20 year old relic then.

All we have are finance, insurance, sales, advertising, lawyers, and other non-fundamental jobs left. (That is as nice as I can refer to those jobs!)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:48 am

I understand where your coming from WoVeu. I feel like one of the only people who actually cares for this country here in CA...I don't get that vibe at all in Arkansas. Might be the same country but I feel like I am living in a foreign land sometimes.

Not all so called American cars are assembled on our very own soil: I just looked it up and every single Ford Windstar minivan is assembled in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. I owned one of these Canadian made American cars.

I just spoke to my brother-in-law who has a Ford Mustang. He said his engine was built in Canada and his transmission was built in Mexico. So, much for an American muscle car.

Here is a great article "Is it made in America":
(http://autos.aol.com/article/car-news/i ... 2409990001)

Some interesting points from the article:
1. Honda Accords are built (assembled in Ohio) and 70% of the parts were manufactured in the US.

2. Ford Fusion's are built in Mexico with only 50% of the parts coming from the US....this explains why my grandparents ford fusion was a piece of junk. :D

3. More than three-quarters of the parts in Dodge's new Nitro SUV, which is assembled in Toledo, Ohio, are American or Canadian. But the profits go to Germany because Dodge is part of DaimlerChrysler.

4. Toyota Camry's are built in Kentucky, Toyota Tundras are built in San Antonio Texas, and Toyota Corollas are made in California...but the profits are shipped to Japan...Toyota says that they have created "lots of new jobs and a $15 billion U.S. investment." "It helps that Toyota announced that a new assembly plant will be built in Tupelo, Miss., its fifth in the USA, with a goal of increasing production by 600,000 vehicles by 2010. Honda is also building a new assembly plant in Indiana."

"We are committed to building where we sell," says Toyota spokeswoman Martha Voss. "No one is adding more capacity than we are."

5. Ford Expedition is the most American vehicle you can buy: 95% of every part was made in the good old USA...and they are assembled here as well. But who is going to buy one these gas guzzlers?

6. "Among Japanese brands, Honda had the most domestic content at 59 percent."

Read the article for more....

Pretty interesting stuff.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am

Oh I know what your saying.

1 - NAFTA and Bill CLinton....absolutely brilliant!
2) The Big Reason - We made Japan and their companies so rich and brought up their cost-of-living so much it was cheaper for them to build it here.
3) Unions - 30 Something was a show...it isn't supposed to be what you pay an hour for some guy who took 2 days to learn how to mount a fender with the aid of automated production.

Chevy, Ford, and Chrysler do all they can here and still keep prices down. SO you know...Mazda has long used many Ford parts. Isuzu uses many Chevy parts. Mitsubishi uses Chrysler. Also Chrysler is not partnered with Daimler any longer.

I could understand people buying a Toyota or Honda (from what they know, many built here) but they have made it a goal to put the Big 3 under, that is a fact. Then guess what...they'll own us...you'll pay what they want you to pay for a car. They will then own the US Domestic market...then they will pressure Congress to tariff the imports, and they can back it up...they have a home to go to. Then they will haul all those dollars off to Japan.

Big point - Americans have been very ignorant of economics and other things so long that they can't readily see that we are in real trouble...no fix in sight! American are cultured to do what seems to behoove them today...hence they save nothing...and buy what they think is the best deal for the moment. Problem is, moments do not last!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Anyone sick of hearing Barney Frank? :evil:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:22 am

Derek wrote:Anyone sick of hearing Barney Frank? :evil:

yeath I am.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Spence wrote:

yeath I am.

Haaaaaaah! :lol: :lol: :lol: That was awesome!!!! Wish Ida thunk it! :mrgreen:

I can't stnad to see or hear the guy...what a clown! 3 minutes in a room with him and I'd be in jail....I'd be laughing and celebrating...but I'd be in jail!
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:28 pm

WoVeU wrote:
Spence wrote:

yeath I am.

Haaaaaaah! :lol: :lol: :lol: That was awesome!!!! Wish Ida thunk it! :mrgreen:

I can't stnad to see or hear the guy...what a clown! 3 minutes in a room with him and I'd be in jail....I'd be laughing and celebrating...but I'd be in jail!

Nice responses. 8) 8) 8)

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Obama goofed and referenced the Special Olympics in describing his bowling game.

Hard for me to put in a box. I have to admit I've made similar comments in some form of jest. I wouldn't think I am insensitive to people with special needs. On top of every problem we have, this stuff concerns people. This has been said before!!!! I really think these type of things being a concern is one of the chief reasons we have so many real problems. We are too caught up in dumb crap (can't joke or laugh at ourselves) that we don't leave enough room in thought or group think for cognitive thought on real needs. The masses are hand-cuffed in PC.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Yeah, of all the things to blast him about, that is the most petty. The media should focus more on what the results of his official actions may be or point out the things he promised to end, that he has now decided are alright. :roll:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:11 pm

I give credit where it is do...I think he has done a bang up job of having his hands in so much and being out there. This would be an easy time to show up when you can point to some good points...even if those be small.

How in the world anybody wants that job????? I need to find some near election day and near last day of term pictures of some recent presidents.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:14 pm

R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:50 am

Ha! Reagan didn't age a bit in looks. 8) :lol: That's how good he was!!

Good lord, GW put on some serious age. :shock:

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:08 pm

Wow...the one that got me was Woodrow Wilson. He served for 8 years but I would swear looking at those pictures that he served for at least 30 years. He looks twice as hold after 8 years then he did when he entered office.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:29 pm

I've been trying to defend Obama somewhat around my little circle who like to criticize him at every turn (I'm talking about conservatives that I know), but this presidency is really starting to get on my nerves. Who would have guessed about 10 years ago that we would have the government buying private companies that are "too big to fail"? This thing is such a charade. From my knowledge, AIG is a very politically active company as far as donations go and the politicians are just returning the favor and now scapegoating the new CEO. Not that I'm surprised that Democrats are worse than the last years of Republican leadership. :roll:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Eric wrote:I've been trying to defend Obama somewhat around my little circle who like to criticize him at every turn (I'm talking about conservatives that I know), but this presidency is really starting to get on my nerves. Who would have guessed about 10 years ago that we would have the government buying private companies that are "too big to fail"? This thing is such a charade. From my knowledge, AIG is a very politically active company as far as donations go and the politicians are just returning the favor and now scapegoating the new CEO. Not that I'm surprised that Democrats are worse than the last years of Republican leadership. :roll:

Give it time to work.
It took 8 years to get us in this mess,12 week will not erase it.

Return to “Off-Topic”