graduate degrees

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Wow, rolltide ... that's a tough question. Both can be rewarding, so it probably depends on what you believe you are best suited for.

UVA is a great school. Check it out thoroughly, I don't believe they allow part-time students in their MBA program so you would have to become a full time student and their Law School is difficult to gain admission to.

And besides, the football they play there is no where near what you are used to. :lol:

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:46 pm

UVa beats its' students with a stupid-stick.

But that's just a Hokies' perspective =]

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:07 pm

Hey Matt,

If you think those blue-bloods turn their noses up at Hokies, try being a Mountaineer. :lol:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:13 pm

Kind of sounds like you've reached that point in your career where you are looking for advancement. Want to be a decision maker versus a decision executor ..... check them out carefully, rolltide ... go where you think you will find happiness.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:29 pm

Go for the MBA degree. If you are good you can end up running a company. Not that corporate law isn't lucrative, but it is harder to navigate that world. A lot more goes into it then just being good. With the MBA it is about talent. If your good people notice you and you advance.

If your going out of state, why don't you look at Ohio State? They have a very good business school and internship programs. Columbus is a city with a lot of jobs in that field. And of course, the football is more like what your use to. People have told me that Ohio State is second only to Alabama when it comes to out of control fans.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:12 am

Just curious, rolltide ... does your current employer offer educational assistance for their employees?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:01 pm

Seems to me it would make a lot of sense to enroll in the MBA program at UAB and let them pay for it. Unless in your judgement it would not be a good fit. :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:12 am

rolltide wrote:Spence, don't turn on me, but I have been looking at Michigan. Ohio State actually is another school I would like to check in to. Northwestern is another, but they are very tough to get into.

Michigan is an excellent school, (excepting football :lol:) They have top notch facilities. The opportunities after you get your degree are better in Chicago and Columbus. Northwestern is a really fine school, they are second to no one, but if you want sports programs similar to what you are used to in 'Bama. Ohio State, Michigan, or even Notre Dame would be the choice in the North.

The Ohio State campus is huge. Being in the city, you there is a lot to do all the time. (some could say too much) As long as you have your priorities right, though, Columbus a great place to go to school. If you get distracted easily it isn't a great choice.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:34 am

Try West Virginia University and Marshall University on for size, rolltide. :D

http://www.wvu.edu/Majors/#College%20of ... 0Economics

http://www.marshall.edu/lcob/

Return to “Off-Topic”