Bobby Knight Resigns

A place to chat about that other college sport during the football off-season.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Bobby Knight Resigns

Postby BYUfan1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:31 am

In a surprising move Monday night, Texas Tech head basketball coach Bobby Knight resigns. Pat Knight will take over immediately. He was appointed his father's successor back in 2005. Texas Tech beat Oklahoma State on Saturday giving Knight his 902nd victory.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Bobby Knight Resigns

Postby GoBoilers » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:55 pm

He was colorful!!! (Careful lotsa profanity):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7KijRfU-c&NR=1

Also:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/thenet ... t_indiana/

I am still gonna miss him. Was a great coach. Just never could play for him. One of us would be dead, probably me. He's a big 6'5" 245! I am 6' 3" 205. LOL

Sidebar, Gene Keady I believe was 21-20 against Knight! One of my worthless facts.

I remember watching the early 60's OSU vs Purdue with John Havelichek (sp), Larry Siegfried, & John Lucas. Knight was the 6th man. I consider this team the equal to any UCLA "team". All great.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:26 am

Keady was a great coach. One of my favorites growing up.

Bob Knight was a jerk. What you see is what you get. He was also a very good basketball coach that never put an unprepared team on the court. Graduated his players. Never had a hint of running a dirty program and a guy who supports his former players for life. He is a guy maybe that I would like to play for, but would never let my kid play for him. Not a guy that I would ever want to hang out with or have as a neighbor.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Spence wrote:Keady was a great coach. One of my favorites growing up.

Bob Knight was a jerk. What you see is what you get. He was also a very good basketball coach that never put an unprepared team on the court. Graduated his players. Never had a hint of running a dirty program and a guy who supports his former players for life. He is a guy maybe that I would like to play for, but would never let my kid play for him. Not a guy that I would ever want to hang out with or have as a neighbor.

Agree 100% with you except I couldn't play for him. He was a jerk but, a great coach. I'll miss him only because I wanted to see what coaching and shenanigans he would pull! Entertaining!

Feinstein's book was really on to his persona. Such as the players had to eat vanilla ice cream at the training table, Knight could eat any flavor! Or, new freshmen would occupy the seat of a departing senior at that was his seat for the next 4 years. I love that fact Keady was 21-20 againts him!!!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:00 am

Yeah, Bob Knight did much better against us. He took a special pride in beating his old school. :roll:

Knight has the bootcamp philosophy. Tear them down and build them back up the way you want them. The ice cream thing was just another example. His was of telling them he is the one who calls the shots. Woody Hayes was cut from the same cloth. Lots of people (buckeyes) didn't like the old man when he was coaching. It was only after that Buckeye fans as a whole professed admiration. Like Knight, Hayes was two different people. He was a stubborn, egotistical bully who didn't ever consider that fact that he could ever be wrong. He was also a guy who was very loyal to his former players and did everything in his power to graduate them. His grad rate was 85%. He regularly visited children's hospital and did lots of good work. He was also the guy who went for a two point conversion in a blowout game against Michigan. Just because they were Michigan. (said he did it because he couldn't go for three) Knight and Hayes shared lots of the same good and bad qualities.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “College Basketball”