Spence, Can't you throttle this guy?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Spence, Can't you throttle this guy?

Postby donovan » Thu May 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spence, Can't you throttle this guy?

Postby Spence » Thu May 30, 2013 11:25 pm

There are times I would like too. Gee is very well liked at Ohio State. He is a nice guy, believe it or not. I have a picture of him and my kids doing O-H-I-O on my wall in my office. He is also a major league dork. He often makes off color comments trying in vain to be funny. I doubt he has anything against catholics. He is your typical college type, but he is also a religious guy. I believe he is a practicing Mormon. I don't know him personally, but I have met him several times and he seems generally interested in people. He just has a bad habit of sticking his foot ankle deep into his mouth.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am

He needs to practice more diligently then.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri May 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Oh, I agree. He spends most of his life in the public eye. He runs a university with over a billion dollar budget. He should know what is exceptable public speech.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Setting aside briefly the nature of Gee's foot-in-mouth disease here, I just have to appreciate that this article is from Detroit News. That fact gives me a warm feeling inside, like it's the end of November and some stuff will always remain reliably true. Never let a rivalry go to waste, even in the middle of the off-season. :mrgreen:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:12 pm

That's how we like it. :lol:

His name it E. Gordon Gee. E.G.G. for short. Guess his parents knew from an early age. :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 am

Gee has a history of making offensive statements...he just doesn't think things through.

I can imagine the stink if one substituted his comments about "those catholics" with "those jews" or "those blacks".
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 pm

billybud wrote:Gee has a history of making offensive statements...he just doesn't think things through.

I can imagine the stink if one substituted his comments about "those catholics" with "those jews" or "those blacks".

That isn't lost on anyone here either. I believe that if it were not for the fact that he raises 2.5 billion a year for Ohio State he would be gone. I'm not sure even that is going to let this go this time. I don't believe that he is a bigot or a racist. I think he is just a guy who has been isolated in that academic vaccum all of his life. He doesn't live in the real world and never has.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Looks like Dr. Gee is going to "retire". He was called in front of the regents and that was that. Kind of a double edge sword. Beyond him tripping over his lip on several occassions, he has been good for Ohio State. He is well like not only among the student body, but all over the state. He made it a mission to visit every county in Ohio every year. He goes out of his way to be friendly to people. He is not aloof at all. Still, it is probably time.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1296984.html

I also think Bill Donohue of the Catholic league comes off as a class act in this article.

Return to “General Discussion”