SEC West

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:39 am

Auburn definitely has the inside track to the west title.

The LSU & Auburn was a knock-down, drag-out defensive struggle with the winner of the game being the team that executed better and got the breaks.

Welcome to the forum .... be sure to read the forum rules.

Enjoy. 8)

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:09 am

The SEC WEST...my favorite college football topic....well talking about the Razorbacks is my #1 but the SEC West is high on my list.

Man the Auburn vs. LSU game was classic SEC football. Hard hitting, smash mouth, run the ball football. I think that Auburn will win the West with LSU coming in second. Arkansas and Alabama will compete for the 3rd place spot.

I see you are a LSU Tiger fan. LSU has to travel to Little Rock Arkansas and play the Hogs in War Memorial Stadium. That is always a great game in Little Rock. For some reason Ark. always plays better in Little Rock. Under coach Nutt, I believe that Arkansas has only lost one game in War Memorial stadium. I think his record there is something like: 20-1. That is just a guess....but I think I am pretty close.

Bama and Ark. play this Saturday on CBS. It will be interesting to see how that game plays out.

Welcome to the board.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:16 pm

it's all still a toss up as far as i'm concerned :twisted: that's what makes it fun though!!!

:D welcome to the board!!!!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:11 pm

I had LSU in the national championship this year. The call at the end of the game messed that up. Welcome to the board.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Always good to have new people on board. This is a good general CFB board. We don't do a lot of rah rah stuff, most here know good football when they see it. Even if it is played away from their own backyard.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Auburn wins the SEC West, unless the winner of the Arkansas/Alabama game does some unpredictable stuff.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:47 pm

RazorHawk wrote:Auburn wins the SEC West, unless the winner of the Arkansas/Alabama game does some unpredictable stuff.

Alabama has quietly racked up 3 wins, with a lot of inexperience on offense. Good for them.

Auburn should take the west, unless they lose to Georgia and Alabama somehow wins out.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:26 pm

we are bad about breaking each others hearts right there at the end of the season :twisted: but as it stands now, i think they'll take the west........gawd! i hate when that happens!

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:32 pm

TDDVandy wrote:Yeah, those calls... I still can't help but wonder why that is not a reviewable play. One referee saw pass interference, another saw the pass get tipped. Replay would have clearly shown that the pass interference that referee #1 saw occurred before the pass was tipped. The way it was handled was also bad. They called pass interference, then reversed it.

Check this out TDDVandy.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9668553

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:47 pm

Home teams all over the country get calls in their house. I think the referees react to the crowds and give the home team the benefit of the doubt on close plays. Most of the time I don't think they do it on purpose, I think they just get caught up.

It is like when some great old coach starts jawing at a ref. After a while it wears on the ref and the coach will get some calls. They don't do it on purpose, they just start questioning whether they had messed up before. Most coaches practice that and it works sometimes.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:00 pm

Every college football fan I know acknowledges the idea of home field advantage. 8)

I know of no one who can define exactly just what the make-up of it is, but I believe the physic of the officials is one of the things that make up that advantage. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:07 pm

It definitely is a part of it. I have called games, not on that scale, where you end up flaging one team a lot more then the other. The fans start yelling and you question whether you are calling things one sided. Next thing you know you are looking for things on the other team. I never cared who won, it just human nature to question whether you are right. After a while, I quit letting it bother me. I called what I saw and it happened how it happened. Still I have to wonder if I could do it the same way with 80,000 people yelling and screaming.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:30 am

If you think the officials are affected by a home crowd in Football, Basketball is 10 times worse. With so many judgement calls, the crowd so close and being indoors, playing on the road in a major basketball conference is the toughest.

Instant Replay should correct 99% of the terrible game-changing calls in football. Crowd noise should not affect a replay. Maybe the replay folks need to be in a silent booth, kind of like the old $64,000 Question TV program. :D
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Return to “General Discussion”