Fairness in College Football Petition

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

The ref's from the Oregon v Oklahoma game should be...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 am

suspended
54%
fired
31%
banned from all football
15%

Total votes: 13

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:46 pm

c'mon! get ta flutterin! we're tryin to get a whole point back here!!!

:lol: heehhee!!!!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:16 pm

Derek, most intra sectional games are officiated by the visiting teams conference officials. Usually the visiting team brings that conferences officials and the replay guy is from the home conference. If the PAC-10 doesn't do that, then they open the door for exactly what happened.

In the end Huskerbux is right. Oklahoma had a rough time with their defense in that game and they should have nailed it down earlier on stepped on the gas on offense. Stoops isn't usually a guy to put on the brakes, so he must have been trying to run the clock for a reason. No matter what the officials do, you have to take it out of their hands. If you don't let the other team close enough for the zebras to have an impact they won't.

Still you should expect a fair game no matter where you play. Wins are tough to come by among top 25 teams and the kids who work their tails off for college football have the right to expect the officials to do the same.
They are not expected to be perfect, but they are expected to do their best and that crew didn't do the best they could have done.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Well, there's a couple of things that happened that are very puzzling to me.

First, based on what I saw on the replays the TV guys showed, I was surprised, maybe shocked would be a better word, that the call stood.

Second, I can't believe a guy would make that call after seeing the replay knowing that the viewers of the game on TV and everybody who watches SportsCenter and any other college football TV show was going to see what the replay showed.

I could understand the officials on the field missing that call, but based on what I saw on the replay ...... that's a tough one to miss.

I still think there is more to come as far as an "explanation" of what happened is concerned. Surely there will be ....... there must be. If the guy did intentionally cheat then I would agree he should be banned from have any role whatsoever in the outcome of any game going forward.
Last edited by mountainman on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:01 pm

I never said that is was an excuse for what the reply official did. I agree with you on that count. I would at the very least suspend him for the rest of the season. The only thing that teams can expect to get from officials is fairness. I don't think that happened in this game. The reply guy neglected his duties to perform his job correctly according to the rules. There is no excuse for that.

If I performed my job poorly would I be back the next day? Probably, but I would cost the company money, which in turn would cost me money.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 pm

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!! You hit it on the head Lubbock...

HOWEVER... it's still no excuse for the referees performing as badly as they did. In my opinion, that replay official shouldn't be allowed to work another football game period. Seriously, that ranks up there with Pete Rose... actually, it's even worse.

Oklahoma is at fault for not playing up to par, if they were not. :lol:

HOWEVER....Lubbock is right, the game WAS decided by this call, and I dont care if it hairlips every frog in Georgia. The call was WRONG.

And the fact that the Pac-10 does this, INFURIATES ME!!!!!!! :evil:

What arrogance!!!!
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Well, maybe so, but that's not what is important here ... the integrity of the game is the issue.

I mean, with all the rules that are intended for the game to be fair, and with all the effort and emphasis on the enforcement of those rules by the NCAA, the conferences, the programs, the players and the expectations of the fans for those rules to be enforced ..... there's a lot more at stake than 'several million dollars'.

I believe in the final analysis, everybody wants the rules to be fair and to be enforced.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:23 pm

Mountainman wrote:I believe in the final analysis, everybody wants the rules to be fair and to be enforced.

Exactly. Except I would write it this way --> I believe in the final analysis, everybody expects and deserves the rules to be fair and to be enforced.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:26 pm

Agreed .... your way of saying it is better stated. :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:14 am

Here's a response from the replay guy .... for what it's worth:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5979336

You know what aggravates me about articles like this one is that I don't really care to read about this guys personal life, his past, his experience, his broken bones, etc, etc, etc. I do wish the author would just tells us what happened in the replay booth last Saturday. Seems like everything has to be a drama nowadays. :roll:

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Kudos Launcher wrote:I cannot believe the calls that the officials messed up in that game this weekend. I have been watching college football for years, and if there was no instant replay I might understand. However there was instant replay, they used it and still messed it up. It was very obvious when the Oregon player touched the ball before it went the required 10 yards and then the replay shows OU recovering. These refs should go back to reffing the PeeWee games and get out of College officiating.

------------------------------------------------------
It was a hard call to make from the angle the call had to be made.
If they had a camera that views in 3d it would of been better.
The play was close to the 10 yards and reaching forward it could of touch the ball at the proper distance,but the feet were not there.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Apparently, they suspended the officiating crew, who were Pac-Ten officials. I, for one don't buy into the argument they had a bad 'angle'.
Fact remains, they should have 'over-turned' the call made on the field.
Incidentally, that wasn't the only one they (officials) got wrong.

A play that resulted, initially in an Oklahoma touchdown was called back but it never should have happened, the time clock expired. Oklahoma was 'awarded' a first down, when they should have been penalized.

The pass interference that gave Oregon a 1st down, late in the game was a 'bad call' the ball was clearly tipped. Flag should have been picked up. Finally, when Paul Thompson spiked the ball, there was one second left. Oregon called a time-out, otherwise it's questionable OU even gets the snap off. Things have a way of 'evening' out. Maybe Oregon didn't 'win' the game in the traditional sense, but they certainly didn't lose it, either. Proper thing, might be to call it a 'draw' (a suggestion made by one of the AD's.

the officiating crew was suspended, for one week, so there was a penalty applied, after all was said and done.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Lubbock, you have the coolest avatars. :D

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:23 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote:The pass interference that gave Oregon a 1st down, late in the game was a 'bad call' the ball was clearly tipped. Flag should have been picked up.

A tipped ball does not necessarily negate pass interference.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:51 pm

mountainman wrote:
colorado_loves_football wrote:The pass interference that gave Oregon a 1st down, late in the game was a 'bad call' the ball was clearly tipped. Flag should have been picked up.

A tipped ball does not necessarily negate pass interference.

It doesn't negate pass interference if the interference happens before the tip. After the ball is tipped then the defensive player gets a free shot if he wants it. As soon as the ball touches a defensive player, all bets are off. Then there is no such thing as pass interference any more that play.

Return to “General Discussion”