Fairness in College Football Petition

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

The ref's from the Oregon v Oklahoma game should be...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 am

suspended
54%
fired
31%
banned from all football
15%

Total votes: 13

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:23 am

4 years ago the Hogs started their season 3-0 and were ranked in the top ten after going down to Austin and beating #4 Texas in their home stadium. The Hogs lost the next three games...all three had horrible calls by the refs that helped to determine the outcomes of the games. The first game was against Auburn. Matt Jones had two TD runs of over 50 yards and both were called back because of holding calls. You should have seen the ESPN announcers the next day breaking down the film....there was not a hold on either play and definetely not with the players that got the flag. The Hogs lost the game by 3. In fact on one play the player they called holding on was not even in contact with another player. The next two games had similar calls. The University of Arkansas protested the calls but nothing was done. Nothing is ever done. That is just how it is. Hog fans were furious that year about officiating but we all got over it. OU fans are just going to have to suck it up and move on. Nothing will be done.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Refs in Oregon-Oklahoma Game

Postby BYUfan1 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:09 pm

I could not find applauded as one of the choices. They did a fine job officiating the game. You want to question someone, how about the replay officials. With the Oregon player leaping forward, it was hard to tell at real speed how many yards the kick went before it was touched. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:18 pm

The on field officials made a mistake. Replay was designed to fix those kinds of mistakes. They dropped the ball. It is one thing to complain about a tight call, but those were obvious mistakes that the replay officials should have reversed. They should at least be reprimanded for the way they called that game at the end.

In the end, unless Oregon goes undefeated, this will hurt them. The poll voters won't forget that they should have lost this game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:24 pm

I was watching the game again on ESPN Classic Sunday morning, and if the defender pushed the WR before the ball gets tipped, I believe that's pass interference. The OU DB was grabbing the Oregon player before the ball got tipped.

The onside kick though was glaringly obvious that an Oregon player touched it first at the 9 yard line.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:31 pm

The Sooner D should be really good next year too.

Really, though, it is hard to blame Oregon for this. Those guys were playing hard and trying to win a football game. Officiating around the country has gotten worse. I used to complain about B-10 refs, but they don't look so bad anymore.

During the tOSU-Texas game, big ten officials called a questionable roughing the passer on Ohio State. Tressel was upset, when he asked for an explaination, the guy said "just trying to protect the QBs coach". Maybe it was ticky tacky, but it was reasonable to try and protect the young QB who Ohio State was getting constant pressure on.

When the officials become part of the game, as they did in the Okla-Oregon game, they are not doing a good job.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:00 pm

What happened at Auburn was a bad call. What happened at Oregon was a series of bad calls and the difference was that what happened to Oklahoma could have been fixed. They weren't, that is what makes it so wrong.

Although, the call that went against LSU was unfortunate, it is part of the game. Something like that happens in about every game played. What happened to Oklahoma doesn't happen all the time. They were jobbed by those officials.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Spence,
You are exactly right. The call was missed on the field and the replay officials did not overturn the call. My only explanation could be that they did not have the same replay videos that we saw. There were about five different angles and all but one, would have made it difficult to reverse the call. However, one angle was very evident that the ball was touched nine yards down the field.

Unfortunately, this call affected the final outcome of the game.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:25 pm

2001 - Texas A&M 31, Oklahoma 26

2002 - Texas A&M 0, Oklahoma 77

Paybacks are a @#$%@#$

And the game was not as close as the score reflects. The OU team started taking a knee with lots of time left because they couldn't do anything to stop scoring. Even with the offense running it up the middle trying to run the clock out, they could've won 100-0, seriously.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:38 pm

RazorHawk wrote:Spence,
You are exactly right. The call was missed on the field and the replay officials did not overturn the call. My only explanation could be that they did not have the same replay videos that we saw. There were about five different angles and all but one, would have made it difficult to reverse the call. However, one angle was very evident that the ball was touched nine yards down the field.

Unfortunately, this call affected the final outcome of the game.

The replay officials have the same replay angles that we see, the television camera angles are what they use. They actually even have some that we don't see on big games, because the tv crews on big games use more cameras. Whether or not they used all the angles available to them is another question, but they had them all.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:42 pm

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:Also... Oklahoma President David Boren is seeking help from the Big 12 to get an apology and more from the Pac 10. The complete letter is available...
http://admin.xosn.com//pdf6/44098.pdf

I cannot help but wonder what an apology from the Pac 10 would accomplish. :?

Why would he do that? :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:46 pm

I don't know either. I would want the officials to be suspended. At least the replay official. I can see how a field official misses calls like those, but there is no excuse for the replay guy. It isn't like it could have went either way, that was at least neglect.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:52 pm

I hate it happened and we're probably going to hear something like the replay equipment broke or something similar. :roll:

Truth is though, the Sooners blew a coverage for the Oregon score and then had a kick blocked that would have won it. :?

******************* Well, here's the outcome, so far ***************

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5979210

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:54 pm

Footnote wrote:It's official. All the zebras on the field and in the replay booth have been suspended by the Pac-10 for a game. AND the head honcho apologized profusely to OU, Stoops, and the players. Too late to do any good, but the left coast folks have done everything the rules allow. Of course, Oregon could step up and offer a forfeit. (is everyone holding their breath on that one?)

Doubt it....It's sad to see this happen, but this is ridiculous.

I dont know why they allow officials from one conference to ref a game between another.

I thought they used neutral refs from another conference, or is that only for bowl games???
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:29 pm

wow! i never thought they'd actually DO somethin about it!!! :lol:

does this mean we get a point back in the picks?
ya know......since it's official and all??? (fluttering eyelashes)

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 pm

bama_girl wrote:(fluttering eyelashes)

:lol: :D :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”