Yeofoot more lost than an Aggie

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Yeofoot more lost than an Aggie

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:39 pm

Wow, a lot of people moving up and down in the polls. I never realized how difficult it is to come up with solid reasons for why every team is given the rank that voters give them. Ok, OSU, the only easy rank, #1, where's ND now, where's LSU now, where's Michigan now. Is Texas' #8 rank going to move up each week someone falls? Is TCU the real deal? Does Tech fall out of the top 25? Does Nebraska improve their ranking for being good enough to compete against USC even though they lost? Does Michigan finally have their ducks in a row? Did everyone really forget about that Hart fellow?

The thing about Texas is that they don't have that unbeatable factor that that undefeated teams have. They have one game mode, and don't know how to bring it up a notch when all the chips are on the table. They will play their hand the same way whether they have a big or small pot.

They will have to have a lot of cards fall their way to play TT, Nebraska,

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:43 pm

Good stuff, thoughts, and questions, Yeofoot. :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:57 pm

Notre Dame has to take a pretty good hit for the total crash and burn. Texas should move up, but won't jump any unbeaten in front of them. TCU is a good football team, but a 9 point victory over Texas Tech won't get them in the top 10. Impressive defense though, shutting down that offense. LSU should fall somewhere around Texas. Michigan has to be considered a championship contender.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:31 am

He lost a bet. He didn't switch loyalties.

I think Notre Dame has to drop out of the top 10. I don't think there could be any justification to hold them in the top 10 even for the AP voters. Michigan crushed them at home. Even if Michigan would have been ranked #1 going into the game, getting beat that badly would have to knock them backwards. You could see holding them in the top 10 if the played Michigan tight, but not this way.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:39 am

I've just submitted my poll:

1. USC
2. Ohio State
3. Auburn
4. West Virginia
5. Florida
6. Texas
7. Louisville
8. Georgia
9. Michigan
10. LSU
11. Arizona State
12. Notre Dame
13. Iowa
14. Virginia Tech
15. Alabama
16. TCU
17. Oregon
18. Cal
19. Florida State
20. Boise State
21. Clemson
22. Oklahoma
23. Michigan State
24. Tennessee
25. Missouri

Tell me what you guys think. I felt I had to drop ND out of the top 25 while not getting over zealous to move Michigan up the polls. I had the Wolverines at 18 last week, so do you guys think it does them justice to move up 9 slots while ND (who I had 4th last week) drops 8?

I had to boot out Texas Tech, Miami, and Nebraska. Nebraska didn't really do anything wrong, I just had them 24th; I'm not going to punish tem that much for losing at USC.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:55 am

I think Notre Dame drops, but not out of the T25. Michigan is above 9 IMO after yesterday.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Whoops, that should read "drop out of the top 10", I had my mind on two different things :oops:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:12 pm

My vote this week:

1. Ohio State :D
2. USC :evil:
3. West Virginia
4. Auburn
5. Florida
6. Michigan
7. Texas 8) :oops: 8)
8. Louisville
9. Georgia
10. LSU :!: :idea: :!:
11. TCU
12. Notre Dame :cry:
13. Iowa
14. Virginia Tech
15. Alabama
16. Arizona State
17. Oregon
18. Cal
19. Florida State
20. Boise State
21. Clemson
22. Oklahoma :lol:
23. Michigan State
24. Tennessee
25. Nebraska

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:08 pm

Eric wrote:I've just submitted my poll:

Tell me what you guys think. I felt I had to drop ND out of the top 25 while not getting over zealous to move Michigan up the polls. I had the Wolverines at 18 last week, so do you guys think it does them justice to move up 9 slots while ND (who I had 4th last week) drops 8?
Some things I like some I don't, but what else is new?
TCU #16 is 'consistent with the Associated Press.
Virginia Tech #14 seems low, to me (but I had them in my top-10)
#15 for Alabama seems 'high' but I initially had them ranked top-10, later 'reconsidered'. It might be an 'appropriate' ranking for them.
Michigan, top-ten seems 'fair'.
#11 for Arizona St seems 'high'.
#12 for Notre Dame is still pretty high, IMO, following a blow-out loss.
I think Cal is ranked too high.
Boise St, #20 overall is higher than I had them (#24).
I'm not sold on Missouri.
I know you probably won't like my 'two cents' worth, but you asked!

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:50 am

Agreed, good stuff, rolltide. :wink:

colorado_loves_football

Re: Yeofoot more lost than an Aggie

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:03 pm

Yeofoot wrote:Wow, a lot of people moving up and down in the polls. I never realized how difficult it is to come up with solid reasons for why every team is given the rank that voters give them. Ok, OSU, the only easy rank, #1, where's ND now, where's LSU now, where's Michigan now. Is Texas' #8 rank going to move up each week someone falls? Is TCU the real deal? Does Tech fall out of the top 25? Does Nebraska improve their ranking for being good enough to compete against USC even though they lost? Does Michigan finally have their ducks in a row? Did everyone really forget about that Hart fellow?

ND is still in postition to make the BCS, even after last week's embarrassing loss to Michigan. One bad game shouldn't prevent a team from qualifying, and 9 wins are all that are required, at any rate (and a top-ten ranking for ND). So, they are clearly still 'in the hunt', BCS-wise.

Did Texas lose the the NC? That remains to be seen. Title pairings, end-of-season, determine BCS pairings. This one happened so early-on I believe Texas can still mount a 'challenge'. Big XII is clearly in their grasp. Big XII champions are assured a 'spot' in the BCS, regardless.

Is TCU for real? I guess it depends on how they do from this point forward. I don't know if beating Baylor (in Waco) and Texas Tech (at home) necessarily puts them in the NC picture. However, if (a big IF), they can win MWC, and finish 12-0 that could put them in the NC, assuming everything falls their way (basically everyone ahead of them needs to lose, some teams (LSU, Texas) probably have to lose two times.
Not likely, is how I would assess their chances, but you never know.

I have to admit I didn't see the Michigan 'rout' coming. I think I knew Hart was a good player, but I didn't think he (or Henne for that matter) would play as well as they did. Now, they need to focus on the Big Ten, and a trip to Glendale, if everything goes their way. (potential Rose Bowl pairing in the NC game).

Yeofoot wrote:The thing about Texas is that they don't have that unbeatable factor that that undefeated teams have. They have one game mode, and don't know how to bring it up a notch when all the chips are on the table. They will play their hand the same way whether they have a big or small pot.
No team is unbeatable. I think that became apparent last year, when USC nearly lost to ND. Texas struggled to beat Oklahoma St, & Texas A&M, and Bush & Co, nearly got the best of them in the Rose Bowl. Fortunately Vince Young was hero.

They will have to have a lot of cards fall their way to play TT, Nebraska,[/quote]
I'ts still inconclusive how good either team is. Texas Tech didn't look that good against TCU. Either a testament to TCU's defense, or Texas Tech's ineptitude on offense, away from home. Nebraska didn't look that good against USC. I think Texas will likely win the Big XII again.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:56 pm

CLF wrote:Is TCU for real? I guess it depends on how they do from this point forward. I don't know if beating Baylor (in Waco) and Texas Tech (at home) necessarily puts them in the NC picture. However, if (a big IF), they can win MWC, and finish 12-0 that could put them in the NC, assuming everything falls their way (basically everyone ahead of them needs to lose, some teams (LSU, Texas) probably have to lose two times.
Not likely, is how I would assess their chances, but you never know.

TCU wasn't in the NC picture. They started too far back to contend for the championship. They are for real. They have a good team. They have a good shot at the BCS, a real shot at the BCS, but the NC game is out of their reach.

Return to “General Discussion”