ACC

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Well when Miami, Va Tech and BC all left the Big East... it looked like the conference was doomed. WVU wasn't anything spectacular, and Louisville wasn't either. Then you have teams like Rutgers, Temple, etc who were just miserable. Being a Va Tech fan myself, I was glad to be out of the conference. It was holding us down. No one expected those teams to do anything special. It just so happened that WVU and Louisville out-performed all notions.

The ACC has always been a great conference. Yes, you have your weak teams like UNC and Duke, but you've also got Florida State, Clemson, Ga Tech, etc... a bunch of teams that aren't Top 5 worthy year-after-year, but still have really solid programs. Then you add the three new teams from the Big East and it looked like the ACC would be a HUGE powerhouse conference. It worked for a while, but Clemson, FSU, Miami, Ga Tech and Va Tech are all having a really hard time the past couple of years.

The ACC is going through a rough time, but look at the history of the teams and you'll see that eventually the conference will bounce back with some force.

Just my two cents =]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:10 pm

The B-East is still in the BCS. The still retain their automatic bid, unless I missed something. :?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:22 pm

Spence wrote:The B-East is still in the BCS. The still retain their automatic bid, unless I missed something. :?

I dont think that is what he was saying. 8)

Louisville has really surprised me this year, so far.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:31 pm

The showdown between Louisville and WVU is going to be something. Both of these teams are very good this year.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:59 pm

Spence wrote:The showdown between Louisville and WVU is going to be something. Both of these teams are very good this year.

yes. That will be one for the ages.

WOW!!!!!!! Clemson just scored....IT"S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:30 pm

LOL, I was just going to make a topic on that. The top tier of the ACC hasn't been playing very well.

The Big Ten bottom feeders haven't looked too good. The difference here is Indiana's coach, Hoppener, is having a brain tumor removed and of course, Northwestern's head coach died during the summer. I think it is safe to give them a pass or two if they beat Ball State by a point and lose to Southern Illinois, and if they beat Eastern Michigan by 8 and lose to New Hampshire.

I really thought the ACC was the deepest conference, but from the looks of it, UNC is really bad, NC State is even worse, Maryland is bad, Virginia is terrible (beat Wyoming at home by a point-Wyoming = terrible road team-and they just lost to Western Michigan), Duke of course is pathetic, and Wake Forest is decent. Miami has certainly failed to live up to expectations and seems like they're just another team in the ACC. Florida State wasn't concentrating against Troy and could hardly move the ball most of the game against Clemson (9 points came off of special teams).

Right now, the edge in the ACC seems to go to Virginia Tech. Georgia Tech looks like they have as good of a shot as Clemson, Florida State, or Miami to challenge Va Tech.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Oh, another thing, hasn't anyone noticed how successful the Big East has been against the ACC? Other than the Wake/UConn game, WVU killed Maryland, Pitt killed Virginia, Rutgers beat UNC, and Louisville owned Miami :shock:

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:45 pm

I'm still in shock over the fact that with the HORRIBLE team this year, us Hokies are looking at a fairly easy road to the ACC Championship.

If FSU gets there to face us again, though, we'll lose. Beamer can't beat Bowden.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:01 am

I think that Va Tech has to be the favorite to win the ACC.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:12 am

RaliLlama wrote:As long the ACC continues to suck, I will continue to gloat.

Super conference my butt.

I've been waiting three years to vent this.

Imagine that .......... a bitter Big East fan. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:16 am

Don't get me wrong, the top tier teams are still good, but they have underachieved. FSU, Clemson, and Miami are still top 25 football teams (well, maybe not Miami) and Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech are pretty good football teams.

The reason this conference is not as good as expected is the middle tier football teams will all have a rough season.

The other thing is anyone can say anything like this about any conference. They can say, oh look at the big 10? Purdue gives up 35 to Indiana State, Indiana can't beat SIU, and NU can't beat New Hampshire. Stuff like this happens in every conference, but not at such a colossal level.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:39 am

IMO the Big East, right now, is better then the B-10 and the ACC.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:51 am

I still have the Big East 6 on my list. Let's not get ranking-happy with the Big East just yet. Yes, they have looked impressive and yes, the ACC has looked down, but as Lee Corso says:

Lee Corso wrote:There's a lot of football left to be played, sweeheart!

That's just my opinion about the Big East.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:04 pm

I sure don't want to be a wet blanket here ....... but, the Big East, as a conference, needs to keep improving and not be worrying about anybody else and anything but getting better.

Dag-gum UConn beat themselves in that game with Wake yesterday. Louisville needs to get their QB healed up and the Mountaineers better get the defense working and quit committing those 'brain cramp' penalities on both sides of the ball, Pitt blew a 10 point lead against Michigan State, Rutgers better keep their focus, South Florida needs to keep learn how to play football instead of relying on athleticism to win games and Syracuse .... well ...... nice win.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:10 pm

That was a great game on CSTV yesteday afternoon. Did you happen to catch the USF/UCF game? That blocked punt for a TD was a great play by UCF. USF took the lead and it came to the final drive, 4th and a couple in the red zone for UCF and they can't get it done, 24-17 :cry:

USF should be beating McNeese State, FIU, and UCF by more than they have shown me. I saw a little of that McNeese State game in week 1 and they looked terrible. Granted they came back and won by 36 points. They beat FIU by a point :shock: UCF was the first semi-test, but their real first test will be against Kansas this week in Lawrence. I've got the Jayhawks.

Return to “General Discussion”