Uh-Oh

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Uh-Oh

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:16 am

That is the second time I have seen Stanford play and I like their team. Especially their defense. I have never been sold on Chip Kelly. I think he is too arrogant to be able to win games against good defenses.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 am

I hate to remind a Buckeye fan of this, but if Tresselgate never happens, Ohio State would control their national title destiny :mrgreen:

I can't resist, Spence :wink:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:24 am

Kelly, by his choice, is gone after this year. My guess, SEC.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 am

Eric wrote:I hate to remind a Buckeye fan of this, but if Tresselgate never happens, Ohio State would control their national title destiny :mrgreen:

I can't resist, Spence :wink:

No problem. We have it coming. :oops:

It is probably a good thing anyway. We aren't a good team. The defense is playing better, but until Miller is able to stretch the field vertically, Ohio State won't be good. If we play a defense who can stuff the run - see Wisconsin - we will struggle.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:27 am

donovan wrote:Kelly, by his choice, is gone after this year. My guess, SEC.

He better look how good he has it right now. I have the feeling his career has peaked.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:35 am

Kelly has had this train rolling for four years and it appears that it will have resulted in one national title appearance, a loss. It's a lot to ask of a team to go to a national title game obviously, but it's a legitimate question at this point to ask if this offense can work against certain types of defenses.

I think Kelly is going to get approached by some NFL teams. He was flirting with Tampa Bay last year. I think Cleveland, Kansas City, Jacksonville, San Diego, Philadelphia, and Dallas will be the NFL teams with coach openings. I think Philly and Dallas are too "serious" and are too large a market to take a risk like hiring a spread offense college coach; they're going to do something conservative (like hiring Jon Gruden or something). The teams that aren't as popular or don't have as much to lose could definitely take a chance on a two year experiment with Chip Kelly. If that fails for Kelly, there will be colleges knocking down his front door with millions of dollars in hand to make him their head coach.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:39 am

I think he may get a shot in the NFL. I don't think at Cleveland. I don't think he will do well, though. I do like his QB this year. That kid is something.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:42 am

I really wouldn't know what to expect, just because I have no idea how he would change his approach. You aren't going to be able to win in the NFL with a 100% no huddle spread offense with a rushing QB, so he would have to change his style. How he would change his style, I have no idea. That would come down to pure x's and o's because you aren't going to change the nature of the pro game (QB under center, very limited option game, not being able to recruit track athletes and have them outrun the defense, etc.).

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:05 am

Eric wrote:Deciding who to cheer for in an Alabama / Notre Dame championship game would really test my limits. I don't even want to think about it. Let's just hope it doesn't go there :D

For a short time, we are all Georgia and USC fans.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:15 am

Looks like an all SEC championship game is a given if Notre Dame loses to SC: winner of Bama vs Georgia against Florida (that is if those teams take care of business). Just yesterday morning the talk was no SEC team would make title game. I guess that's why they play the games. I don't want an all SEC title game again but I can not root for ND to win.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah the lucky season ticket holders for the Florida-Florida State game have found themselves in for a far bigger game than they could expected even from that great rivalry...

I can at least hope that if FSU comes out ahead there, that the all-SEC crap will be avoided, with Florida State leapfrogging to that spot, or it defaulting back to 1 loss Oregon or Kansas St. Or are we just that determined to get LSU back in there yet again?

Or if it's Alabama and not Georgia, will the desire to manufacture drama leapfrog A&M up there with Tide fans hoping they can avenge that loss. :roll: That would be another in-conference, in-division NC that most of us argue shouldn't happen, but still have to admit that the original was a great game.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 am

What you do know, that today's BCS rankings will set up next weeks so the game they want, regardless of anything else can become a reality. Because given the change to finagle the BCS will be all over that like a fat boy on cupcakes.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 pm

A couple of things.

#1 I agree that NO conference should have 2 teams in the NCG. Under any circumstances. ANY.

#2 I was wrong by saying that they won't drop Oregon and K-State lower than Ga. It looks like Richt voted Ga as #1, and I think he did it for the very reasons that I've mentioned in the past.

#3 They REALLY punished K-State, as they should have.

#4 What's up with the AP and Florida State, the disparity in those polls seem odd....maybe a little biased??
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Derek...there is always some bias.

If you look at the voters who ranked FSU lowest...the voter from Oregon, the voter from South Bend (Notre Dame played FSU in the last bowl), the voter from California, the St. Pete Times Gator beat writer, a guy from Cleveland Ohio, the Boise writer, and the Topeka Kansas voter....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I think that stuff probably cancels out there. I assume there would be some voters who rank Florida State abnormally high. They don't have the prettiest resume out there. I saw that the Harris has FSU #6, so maybe they will see a boost from their current spot in the BCS. If they beat Florida, I would imagine a lot of voters will have FSU skyrocket to #3 or #4 (behind Notre Dame, Alabama, possibly Georgia). If Notre Dame then loses, FSU would be in a great spot to get in. The computers though could play the deciding factor if they like Oregon a lot more than FSU to a degree that would neutralize the human polls.

Return to “General Discussion”