Grade Your Team: Week 2

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:22 pm

It is hard for me to give a grade to Akron for their game this week. Despite the different outcome I didn't really see much improvement over what they did in Week 1 against Penn State. The main difference in the NC State game compared to the one in Happy Valley was that the Zips handled things like the crowd noise and disipline (fewer big penalties)better.

I think the running game was slightly better and would give it a B. The passing game couldn't get on track for three and a half quarters but then seemed to hit stride all at once at the end of the game. This, however, is when the pass defense for Akron looked like it was getting tired. I'd give the passing game a B-.

The defense played very well most of the day. I especially love the way the interior defense has been able to handle the rushing attack of both NC State and Penn State.

Special teams are still the achilles heel for Akron. I'd give them a D+ this week.

On a side note,...I am tired of the national media saying things like NC State has no business losing to a team like Akron or looking down on the Wolfpack because the Zips won the game. Akron is a very good MAC team and the league's defending champions. They should be able to play with teams that are in the second division or middle of the pack in the BCS conferences. Nobody looked down upon programs when they lost to a MAC school like Marshall a few years back. I'm not saying Akron is as good as those Herd teams but why is the attitude toward the upper-echelon MAC teams so different now than it was a couple years ago?

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm

It's because they haven't enjoyed success for an extended period of time. NC State was really good a couple of years ago and Akron has just recently made a rise to the top of MAC food chain.

Speaking of the MAC, how about that showdown of the Zips and the Chips? The MAC could come down to this game and the rest of the country doesn't even know it. Who do you like in that game, Jason G?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:32 pm

The difference with the MAC is that Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Ball State, and Akron could be on the rise while Bowling Green and Miami OH will fall. I think Toledo is going to have a down year but get the upset this Friday too.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:34 pm

Jason G wrote:On a side note,...I am tired of the national media saying things like NC State has no business losing to a team like Akron or looking down on the Wolfpack because the Zips won the game. Akron is a very good MAC team and the league's defending champions. They should be able to play with teams that are in the second division or middle of the pack in the BCS conferences. Nobody looked down upon programs when they lost to a MAC school like Marshall a few years back. I'm not saying Akron is as good as those Herd teams but why is the attitude toward the upper-echelon MAC teams so different now than it was a couple years ago?

I could not agree more. Every one of us needs to push back on these media guys that want to make the news instead of reporting the news.

Over the years, the MAC, as a conference, has beaten a number of BCS Conference members ..... I despise them too, Jason when they put a negative "spin" or their own "take" on things. The ought to be writing about the final drive the Zips put on the Wolf Pack. :twisted:

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:39 pm

I agree, Mountainman, the only time teams from the WAC, MAC, C-USA, or the Sun Belt ever get mentioned is because they upset a BCS conference school. The only teams I see from those conferences on national TV is Boise State, Fresno State, Utah, and TCU.

ESPN pays no respect to the smaller schools. "Wow, Akron upset NC State today? Okay, next story, the latest news on Dieon Branch and his broken finger, he is questionable for Sunday..." :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:09 pm

I actually think that would be a good idea. Then the majors would have to quit ducking each other and the competitive level of the teams would get better.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:25 pm

Eric wrote:Speaking of the MAC, how about that showdown of the Zips and the Chips? The MAC could come down to this game and the rest of the country doesn't even know it. Who do you like in that game, Jason G?

I was actually hoping that game would have been one we were picking this week. CMU is still looking for that elusive first win and coming off a game with a national powerhouse while Akron has been celebrating a big win in uncharted waters for them. Add in the fact that the game is in Mount Pleasant and I think the edge has to go to the Chipps.
This game, though, could be the difference between a good season and a spectacular one for my Zips. I think a lot depends on Akron's focus and whether the Zips passing game from the first three quarters against NCSU or the one from the 4th quarter shows up.

If I was a betting man, I wouldn't touch this game at all. But since I am not I'll say CMU in a squeaker but I hope I'm wrong.

BlackpowdEER, I am not so sure about that idea simply because if you isolate the non-BCS schools so that the BCS schools are on the outside looking in that it could have the exact opposite effect. I especially would worry about recruiting. The recruits want to play the biggest name programs. Guys that now go to upper echelon non-BCS schools would now be more inclined to go to second-division BCS schools than ever before simply because of the schedule they would play.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:29 pm

That is probably true, but if the level of competition is similar would it really matter?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:30 pm

I think the game comes down the Chippewa's running game. If Kelly can get Ontario Sneed the ball 20 times, we could win. LeFevour has to play well too. Central Michigan can't challenge for the MAC, or a bowl game for that matter, if he plays like a typical freshman. However, I am excited for what he might bring in the future.

For Akron, they seem to be a well-rounded team. If they get a good effort from everybody, they should win.

Should be exciting! I wish this was on TV :cry: I hope CSTV gets a deal done with the MAC or something so instead of Lane College and Morehouse College, we can watch Eastern Michigan play Kent State or something :)

Return to “General Discussion”