Akron goes Nole

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Akron goes Nole

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Terry Bowden as coach (he received his JD from FSU College of Law), Chuck Amato as DC (ex FSU coach of 18 years) and Terrell Buckley as an assistant coach (Ex Nole and current FSU asst. Strength and Conditioning coach)
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Akron goes Nole

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Akron has a great facility and very good recruiting backyard. They just need a coach the right coaches to pull them together. I hope this works for them. The Akron fans have had a rough time the last several years. Akron is a good football area, they deserve better then they have had recently.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow, I didn't know they hired Chuck Amato. I think this will ultimately work out for them. As Spence said, the area has good recruits and the facilities are the best in the MAC. Bowden has proven his bona fides I think. It will take them about two years to get the ship righted though, since they were eaten alive by teams like Buffalo.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Akron has probably been the worst team in college football the past two years. There is really no good reason for it except for some bad coaching hires. The facilities are top notch. They have a pretty strong area fan base. They are right in the middle of one of the most furtile recruiting areas in Ohio. Also one of the best high school coaching areas in the nation.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:33 am

Chuck is my age...I talked to him in the grocery store about a month ago and he is looking well (he battled cancer after leaving the FSU staff). I was surprised to see him, at his age, decide to continue coaching.

I wish him well.

TBuck is a fabulous hire. I was hoping that he would catch on somewhere and was hoping that a coaching spot would open up at FSU. They made a position for him here that did not exist before (Asst Strength & Conditioning Coach) and young defensive backs loved him and his experience in the NFL. He could not go on the road as a recruiter though.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:49 am

billybud wrote:Chuck is my age...I talked to him in the grocery store about a month ago and he is looking well (he battled cancer after leaving the FSU staff). I was surprised to see him, at his age, decide to continue coaching.

I wish him well.

TBuck is a fabulous hire. I was hoping that he would catch on somewhere and was hoping that a coaching spot would open up at FSU. They made a position for him here that did not exist before (Asst Strength & Conditioning Coach) and young defensive backs loved him and his experience in the NFL. He could not go on the road as a recruiter though.

Akron doesn't recruit much out of the region.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:35 pm

And the Nolification continues....Jeff Bowden hired as WR coach.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:03 pm

billybud wrote:And the Nolification continues....Jeff Bowden hired as WR coach.

Is this a commentary on Jimbo?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Nope...just an exposure of cronyism and nepotism.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Jeff Bowden is often villified by FSU fans...he was a player of no real talent. A wide receiver who only played because his dad was coach. Then, Papa Bowden insisted on promoting him to OC over the many voices crying "Nepotism"...Jeff was not appeciated much by Nole fans as an OC.

Finally, after a disastrous outing, Jeff was forced out in 2006...but through a deal brokered by Bobby...us Nole Boosters have been paying Jeff (to keep Bobby happy)over 100 grand a year through August 2012.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:05 pm

I hope this foretells an era of good Akron football. I'd think it has to help immensely.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm

There may be a pipeline of FSU guys to Akron...if a guy gets buried on a depth chart at FSU and won't see the field...he might be encouraged to take alook at Akron.

Terry, at UNA, got some really good players sent from FSU.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:58 pm

LOL...soon as I say it...Avis Commack, CB, is transferring to Akron for his senior season. He has his degree so does not have to sit.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

And now Todd Stroud (played for FSU in mid 80's) is named DL coach and Ben Murphy (former FSU GA) as Director of Football Operations. When Murphy was at FSU, he was a big help in planning recruiting in 2008-09.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:49 pm

I heard today that Tebow was going to be working out at Ohio State this offseason. Is this a tend to reverse the migration of Ohio residents to Florida that has been going on since the 70's. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”