Nebraska - Michigan

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:34 pm

I wish someone could show me a bad call that favored michigan in that game. Probably not because there were NONE. That is a one sided mess of officiating. It is too bad they ruined what could have been a great game by two great teams.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 pm

Spence wrote:You can't take anything away from Nebraska. They stood toe to toe with Michigan and came out on top. Bad calls happen, they happen to both teams, and you must overcome them to win.

That said, those officials should be banned from ever doing another football game at any level.

Spence
Callahan show his team the 4th quarter of the game of Mich and Ohio ST.
the night pefore the Almo game and told them if they were still in the game by then they could win the ball game.

Thanks for Ohio St. come back victory then

Howdy

PS boy I like this spell check

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

braska

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:18 pm

C'mon Huskers, win the recruiting war with Oklahoma. That'll help us both.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:24 pm

Not sure I agree, I think given the fact it was Sun Belt officials they did a good job.
What bad calls are you referring to? They took a TD off the board for Nebraska, and also made Nebraska kick from the wrong hashmark.
So if anything the calls favored Michigan.
Michigan could have won the game, even at the end, they have themselves to blame for losing.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:49 pm

They said it was 'simultaneous' and it happened two times!
They only called it one time, so I guess maybe you're right Michigan was screwed big time!!!!!!

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:51 pm

One call that favored Michigan, I'm not sure they didn't all favor Michigan! Including the no-call at the end of the game (Nebraska players on the field). Even if they call excessive celebration, it applies to both teams and game is officially over (they already mentioned that on t.v.)
So Michigan had every opportunity to win, and probably should have, given how stupid Nebraska is.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:55 pm

Howdy, anytime that Ohio State beating Michigan can help anyone, we would be glad to help.

Nebraska played inspired football. It has been a while since we have seen that. Nice win.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:10 pm

Chris, Michigan had more calls against them. I don't know about that either, because the refs didn't call Nebraska or Michigan while the play was going on, so would they call it if Michigan scores?

Michigan had to burn 2 timeouts trying to get replays

Henne's incompletion was ruled a fumble

They missed the pass interference on 4th down. I think it is ridiculous to say that Michigan's penalties/no-calls were not as crucial to the game than Nebraska's. It was a horrribly officiated game.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:25 pm

Michigan did have some bad calls at some crucial times. The most important one being when Carr had to use the timeouts to get the replay official to check it out.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:28 pm

I'd have to say the most crucial was the 4th down pass interference. That was a terrible no-call, Michigan would've had 1st down and goal, and they'd have about 2:00 left in the game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:33 pm

True. There were several.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:02 pm

I think I know which play you are referring to, and if it's the one I"m thinking of (4th down) it was questionable as to whether or not it was pass interference in my mind.
But you have a right to your opinion.
I didn't personally think it was a badly officiated game.
For example the 'simultaneous' collision Herbstreit complained about (for throwing a flag) happened again, and they didn't throw a flag. In other words for every example where they were wrong, there would appear to be evidence where they were right for making the calls they made.
There is one call, however where I believe Michigan was justified in their objections, the 'fumble' which I thought was an incomplete pass, since Henne's arm went forward, and so did the ball.
But replay didn't overturn, it, so I don't think you can say that was an official's error. And if you don't like how replay is done, I dont' think you can put that on the officials either, tehy are just doing their job.
But you are right there were some strange calls in that game, right up until the end.
But even that last play was kind of questionable in that Michigan kept throwing the ball backwards, sort of putting the officials in a strange position. It's a good thing Michigan didn't score or else people from Nebraska would be saying the same thing you are but in reverse.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:45 am

See, I'm not complaining, Michigan outplayed Nebraska for the first 3 1/2 quarters of the ballgame. But those calls were terrible, and I don't think the 4th down pass interference was in question. I think it was quite obvious.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:02 am

I didn't personally think it was a badly officiated game.
For example the 'simultaneous' collision Herbstreit complained about (for throwing a flag) happened again, and they didn't throw a flag. In other words for every example where they were wrong, there would appear to be evidence where they were right for making the calls they made.

What makes officials good or bad is consistancy. You need to be able to expect that if you do something once and it is allowed, then it will be allowed the whole game. Holding is something that can be called on every play, the game officials decide how much holding will be allowed. Teams can adjust to that. If they aren't consistant you can adjust, it creates chaos, as was witnessed in that game. Neither team deserves that kind of treatment.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:52 am

Eric wrote:See, I'm not complaining, Michigan outplayed Nebraska for the first 3 1/2 quarters of the ballgame. But those calls were terrible, and I don't think the 4th down pass interference was in question. I think it was quite obvious.

There a lot of complaining about the calls the Ref. makes,but think a little.
They see it once and we get to see it a dozen or more time and from differents angles
The refs. only have one angle and one look.
There were some bad calls and some no calls that went bad for Nebr. too,but that's part of the game to play over them.
Nebr. in the past had bad calls too, but it's not the end of the world.
The sun comes up the next day.
Vent a little but ease off or it may hurt your own health in the long run of things

Old grandpa Howdy

Return to “General Discussion”