Big 12 North? Is it a Lock for Nebraska?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Big 12 North? Is it a Lock for Nebraska?

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:35 pm

The North doesn't look like it will field a lot of competition...

Colorado...doesn't look good for the Buffs...if you can't beat Montana State, can you win the North?

KSU...24-23 against Illinois State? ugh! Doesn't bode well for KSU.

Iowa State...45-43 against Toledo...no defenses here..

Kansas...not a bad opener...can the Jayhawks compete?

Missouri...47-7, Murray St...not a bad opener...how good are the tigers?

Nebraska...49-10, La Tech...a good opener
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:38 pm

I'm thinking that Iowa State is going to win the North. Every team doesn't look as good as they are in Week 1. I'd say give it another week or two or and we'll see who the competition is for the Huskers. Right now, the North looks even worse than it was last season :shock:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:41 pm

I think Nebraska is the favorite at least. Mizzu could be a factor. I don't think Iowa State will be there at the end.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:42 pm

Eric wrote:I'm thinking that Iowa State is going to win the North. Every team doesn't look as good as they are in Week 1. I'd say give it another week or two or and we'll see who the competition is for the Huskers. Right now, the North looks even worse than it was last season :shock:

That's a bold prediction, but I think you might be correct, assuming Iowa St can pull the 'upset' over Nebraska.
At this point, I have to give Nebraska the 'edge', not just because of how they did in their opener, but because they pretty much 'dominated' Louisiana Tech (a team I thought would 'challenge' Nebraska).
Kansas likely won't 'upset' Nebraska in Lincoln, NE. Colorado, at this point, isn't in the same league as everyone else. Missouri lost Brad Smith, otherwise I might mention them as a 'contender'. It's between Iowa st & NU.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:59 pm

That's a bold prediction too, HuskerMoon. I don't think it's impossible either. Nebraska has what it takes on defense to keep Southern Cal to 30 points or so.

I think Nebraska should be 8-4 or 9-3 this year. If they can get to the CCG, they have a legit shot to beat Texas or Oklahoma or whomever else they may play.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Louisiana Tech isn't a very good team this year. They lost a lot of talent from last season. Regardless, Nebraska looked so good Saturday.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:22 pm

Southern cal has had top recruiting classes for a number of years...nobody has had more five star recruits the last three years...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:57 pm

I would say yes. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:08 pm

HuskerMoon wrote:This Ole Miss game will tell me more, but I have this feeling that the Tigers are going to compete with Nebraska for the BIG XII North Title, and Nebraska had better not underestimate Mizzou when they come to Lincoln.
Since you mention Missouri, I'll simply say that they are clearly not in the same 'league' as either Colorado or Nebraska. They are 'pretenders', pretty much always have been. You referred to 1997, when Mizzou nearly upended Nebraska, but for a Scott Frost two-point conversion that went Nebraska's way. That wasn't an 'accident' neither was Colorado scoring on 5th down. I'ts a reflection of Missouri's program, good enough to keep it close, rarely, if ever, good enough to get it done. (Obviously, there are exceptions, but Missouri was supposed to 'win' the N. Division, and didn't).
Missouri beat Colorado on a 'weird' play two years ago. Basically both players caught the ball, they awarded it to Missouri, so now were 'even'.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Missouri sure is handling Ole Miss right now. Chase Daniels looks really good, I'm going to have to agree with HuskerMoon. I guess it's not too far out there to suggest that the 3 main contenders for the North title are Nebraska, Iowa State, and Missouri with Nebraska being the favorites.

Colorado is struggling. If they lose to Colorado State, this season will be a disaster. The team will be mentally shattered to the point of no recovery if they lose today. I haven't heard word on the starter yet today. I hope, for CU's sake, that White gets the reins to the job. Cox has been pitiful ever since the championship game.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:05 pm

huskerbux wrote:
colorado_loves_football wrote:Since you mention Missouri, I'll simply say that they are clearly not in the same 'league' as either Colorado or Nebraska.

Exactly what 'league' is Colorado in? Losing to Montana state puts them in a league of their own.
All I meant was that Nebraska, folds when the pressure is on, as evidenced by that game, I should have stated it clearer than that, I apologize.

Losing to Montana St isn't as 'detrimental' as you would imply. Montana St was a 'fill in' for all intents and purposes. There were 12 games this year, and rather than make the schedule inordinately difficult, Colorado simply 'extended' the agreement they already had with them, out. Don't make more of it than it is. Colorado wasn't the only team to do it, Nebraska scheduled one, also. And, the loss, while disappointing really doesn't matter much, in the 'big' picture.

Dan Hawkins is ushering in a new 'era' of Colorado football. He's starting out slowly, as is typically the case. I think the real test begins this week.
If Colorado starts out 0-3 then they will be in for a very long season. If they win, I think it could be the dawning of a new era of Colorado football, one that is long overdue, in my opinion.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:15 pm

CLF, Colorado appears to be headed down the track of a 2-10 record. Even if they win, it is unlikely they even get to .500.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Eric wrote:CLF, Colorado appears to be headed down the track of a 2-10 record. Even if they win, it is unlikely they even get to .500.

You can't predict with any sort of accuracy what will befall a team, based on OOC play.

Case in point: 1986.

Colorado was 0-4 before conference play started. They finished the year 7-5 (Only Big Eight loss, at home, to Oklahoma 28-0). Colorado played Baylor in the Bluebonnet Bowl, where they were beaten).

I guess I mention it for the following reason: You can't base your 'assessement' on OOC games. They serve a purpose, but they don't matter as far as the Big XII is concerned. I don't think they are even applied in tie-breakers, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line: Colorado is 0-0 in the Big XII. Should they lose, it won't be because they weren't 'good' in the pre-season. It's irrelevant.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:31 pm

After tonight, I will reiterate(sp) my past comment...The division is a lock for Nebraska. They are definately the best team in the division.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:04 am

UC Davis-45
Montana State-0

It seems like the Fighting Bobcats totally went down the crapper after upsetting Colorado, huh? :?

CLF, the OOC season is relevant, if it weren't, there'd be no sense in playing it. A OOC win counts as much as a conference win when trying to get a bowl game. They can be used as measuring sticks, or else TCU's win over Oklahoma shouldn't mean anything, nor the one they got against Texas Tech today.

Colorado can't say, "oh, guys, it's Big 12 season, let's turn it up a notch and win it by beating teams like Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas even though we didn't beat Montana State or Colorado State."

Return to “General Discussion”