Rodriguez fired by Michigan

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

Rodriguez fired by Michigan

Postby Dossenator » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:48 pm

They are scrolling it on the bottom of ESPNU right now.

Yesterday MCShay said the lead candidates were: Harbaugh (didn't think it would happen), Les Miles, and the San Diego State Coach.

Eric...who would you like to see as the next coach at Michgan?
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rodriguez fired by Michigan

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm hearing Hoke is the most likely candidate, although Brandon's first choice is Harbaugh. Harbaugh had cut off negotiations with Michigan last I heard, but who knows.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:14 pm

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWW! 8)

I was so wrong about Rodriguez. I really did think the "Michigan Way" was getting stale and that they needed a change. I thought it would take Rodriguez one season before his spread worked and began to whip Ohio State and the rest of the Big 10. Turns out, they need a coach who preaches tough defense, maintains their size (much like Stanford), hits you in the mouth, and doesn't sacrifice their athleticism. Carr had the program in the right place, but they needed a coach like Harbaugh to get the best out of it.

Unfortunately, I don't believe Harbaugh will come here. He is a west coast guy and has laid his roots on the Pacific coast. Not to mention if he's going anywhere, it's probably the Denver Broncos or San Francisco 49ers. He's an NFL guy and has always wanted to be one. Unfortunately, I really don't think he has a love affair with Michigan just because he went here. He probably has an affinity for Bo Schembechler, but the program itself isn't attractive to him for whatever reason. After all, Michigan wanted him in 2007 and he declined the option adamantly. So, with that said, I think the answer has to be Brady Hoke. Even though Hoke didn't play for Bo or go to Michigan, he was immersed on the staff of the team that Carr got to the title game, so that's probably close enough of a "Michigan Man" to make the boosters happy.

Bottom line is that Rodriguez was going head-on against the culture at Michigan. He treated it like another turnaround job that you might see at a mid-tier BCS conference school. It's not like that at Michigan; when you coach Michigan, you are head of an entire program and are the athletic "head of State" practically. It's a different animal and Rodriguez didn't embrace it. I'm not saying that's the way Michigan ought to run their program, but it is how it is done for good or bad.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:55 pm

I would be surprised to see either Harbaugh or Miles go to Michigan. I am surprised that the Wolverines did not have someone in their pocket, before getting rid of Rich Rod.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:58 pm

RazorHawk wrote:I would be surprised to see either Harbaugh or Miles go to Michigan. I am surprised that the Wolverines did not have someone in their pocket, before getting rid of Rich Rod.

They do--Brady Hoke. I'm pretty sure they wanted to get a hold of Harbaugh and may spend the next week or so trying to convince him to join and/or break the bank to afford him, but "settle" is the wrong word if they wind up with Hoke.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 pm

I never thought I would ever say this, but I am glad to see Michigan turn the page. I thought beating Michigan every year would be the greatest thing ever, and it was under Carr, because he had decent teams. Rodriguez has been different. With Carr, you knew they could always beat you. You knew he would have them ready. With Rodriguez is was like playing Indiana, you knew he didn't have a chance. The last three years I have gone into that game with no reservation about who was going to win. I would rather play them when they had a chance to win. Rodriguez is a one size fits all type of coach and the good coaches adjust to their talent. Rodriguez ran lots of good players out the door. Mallet would be the Michigan QB today if not for RR telling him he may as well leave because he didn't fit his system. I guarantee Michigan would have won four more games because of Mallet.

Then there was the defense, or lack of a defense. His hybrid 3-3-5 was created because he didn't have the horses to go 3-4 or 4-3. Then he convinced himself that the defense and not the players running it at West Virginia, was the reason it worked. He blamed players, Lloyd Carr, and everyone else except the guy in charge. You would have thought he was a Buckeye fan's dream, but it turned out even we are glad to see him go.

Today is the 2600th day since Michigan last beat Ohio State.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Agreed on all points Spence, especially on the 3-3-5 thing. It's one thing when you have 4 good DBs and a talented hybrid player, but when the defensive backfield is being managed by two true sophomores and three freshman, that's another thing. It wasn't even the best alignment personnel-wise. Just awful on all points, and I don't know how Greg Robinson can ever coach again at the coordinator position.

Another thing, how does a school like Michigan have to conduct open tryouts to find a kicker? That's the first thing you need to have in order to even field a roster. First thing the new coach does when he gets here is to get a kicker. The other thing they have to do is go Kansas State-style in recruiting and just scour the nation for JUCO defensive players. It's a quick-fix, but it gets these "starters" to ride the bench for awhile until they can show they are able to play in a BCS conference. This defensive backfield would be mediocre for a MAC program.

The one side-effect that probably isn't a good thing is that Denard Robinson will probably transfer. I wonder if Pitt or UConn, two programs looking for something to hang their hat on, will try to get a package-deal. Robinson was a true sophomore this year so he can redshirt for either of those two schools and play two years under Rodriguez.

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 pm

ESPN just said via the AD it hasn't happened yet! I'll bet!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:55 pm

GoBoilers wrote:ESPN just said via the AD it hasn't happened yet! I'll bet!

I heard that too. I'm starting to think Brandon isn't much better than Rodriguez.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Spence wrote:

I heard that too. I'm starting to think Brandon isn't much better than Rodriguez.

Nah, he'll be fired officially within a day or so. The school wants to make it official first, but I'm not really sure why they're meandering. The sentiments are just too anti-Rodriguez at this point, especially with the outburst of negativity surrounding his tenure upon believing he was fired. Even if Brandon was leaning towards having him back, it'd be such a bad PR move for the school. The bottom line is that the boosters are upset with Rodriguez.

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Eric wrote:
Spence wrote:

Nah, he'll be fired officially within a day or so. The school wants to make it official first, but I'm not really sure why they're meandering. The sentiments are just too anti-Rodriguez at this point, especially with the outburst of negativity surrounding his tenure upon believing he was fired. Even if Brandon was leaning towards having him back, it'd be such a bad PR move for the school. The bottom line is that the boosters are upset with Rodriguez.

I understand the boosters. That is also why OSU, Auburn etc are in hot water with the NCAA. Boosters.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:11 pm

dear lord in heaven,
please please please let michigan hire les miles as their new head coach and get him out of my sec.
after all, they really do deserve him for firing mr. carr in the first place :P
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:12 pm

amen :D
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 pm

The Mad Hatter adds color to the SEC....not that with all of the off field shenanigans the SEC needs more "color".
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 pm

billybud wrote:The Mad Hatter adds color to the SEC....not that with all of the off field shenanigans the SEC needs more "color".

I want Les to stay right where he is. Arkansas has beat LSU 3 of the last 4 years and if not for a blown call at the end of the game 2 years ago it would probably be 4 wins in a row by Arkansas. Arkansas has grown to despise LSU and especially Miles ever since he made a statement where he said "AR-Kansas"....like he didn't know how to pronounce the state's name (after that comment Ark has gone 3 out of 4 against him).
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Return to “General Discussion”