Giving Bethune-Cookman Some Credit

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Giving Bethune-Cookman Some Credit

Postby BYUfan1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Since Bethune-Cookman vs. New Hampshire was not part of the pickem contest, and it is one of the four FCS playoffs games that ESPN3.com is not showing, I just want to say congratulations to the Wildcats for making the playoffs and being considered good enough to be given a week off and the honor of hosting a playoff game. That is quite an accomplishment for a MEAC school, and even two schools made the playoffs (South Carolina State already eliminated).

Go Wildcats!
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

Eric

Re: Giving Bethune-Cookman Some Credit

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:27 pm

I think Bethune-Cookman is going to get lit up today by New Hampshire, but what do I know :D
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Eric wrote:I think Bethune-Cookman is going to get lit up today by New Hampshire, but what do I know :D

I have to agree with Eric on this one.

The top four teams in the Colonial Athletic Association each have a chance to win it all.

Still, I think it's good that Bethune-Cookman's season was given enough consideration to host an FCS tournament game. It's good for Bethune-Cookman, the MEAC and future competitiveness in the FCS Championship Tournament.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:24 pm

armchairqb wrote:
Eric wrote:I think Bethune-Cookman is going to get lit up today by New Hampshire, but what do I know :D

The top four teams in the Colonial Athletic Association each have a chance to win it all.

Still, I think it's good that Bethune-Cookman's season was given enough consideration to host an FCS tournament game. It's good for Bethune-Cookman, the MEAC and future competitiveness in the FCS Championship Tournament.

I get the feeling that they are forcing the issue. The MEAC is, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of a non-BCS conference in the FBS. The competition level is just inferior to conferences like the Missouri Valley or CAA. South Carolina State upset a lot of CAA/Montana fans by getting an at-large berth in the tournament this year and they got lambasted by Georgia Southern.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:29 pm

The 2nd big rivalry in Tallahassee (and the biggest in the black community) is the FAMU-Bethune Cookman game. FAMU won this year and there was great rejoicing. Miami is a rivalry but comes in #3 after Florida/FSU and Bethune/FAMU because there are so few Miami fans here.

This is a very strong rivalry in the black community. It is not uncommon to go into a professional office and see a picture of Mary McLeod Bethune on the wall. It announces the allegiance of the office resident. And. The rivalry goes statewide. These are the two primary historic black institutions.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Eric wrote:
armchairqb wrote:

I get the feeling that they are forcing the issue. The MEAC is, for all intents and purposes, the equivalent of a non-BCS conference in the FBS. The competition level is just inferior to conferences like the Missouri Valley or CAA. South Carolina State upset a lot of CAA/Montana fans by getting an at-large berth in the tournament this year and they got lambasted by Georgia Southern.

You might be generous by saying the MEAC is like a mid-major. The gap may be bigger. The MEAC hasn't won a playoff games since 1999.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:06 pm

ktffan wrote:
Eric wrote:
armchairqb wrote:

You might be generous by saying the MEAC is like a mid-major. The gap may be bigger. The MEAC hasn't won a playoff games since 1999.

Yeah, I didn't phrase that properly. I meant to say: the MEAC is to the FCS what the non-BCS is to the FBS, relatively speaking :D

Return to “General Discussion”