The Coaching Carousel

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:19 am

Jon Gruden and Dan Mullen are the leading candidates at Miami. Gruden issued a non-denial denial and Mississippi State is scrambling to sign Mullen to an extension.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Jim Harbaugh is the guy that can have whatever job he wants.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:20 pm

Eric wrote:Jon Gruden and Dan Mullen are the leading candidates at Miami. Gruden issued a non-denial denial and Mississippi State is scrambling to sign Mullen to an extension.

I read a story yesterday out of Miami that Gus Malzahn is also being considered.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:59 pm

It's a couple days old, but North Texas fills their head coaching vacancy.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/28/florida-assistant-dan-mccarney-accepts-north-texas-job/

That program is scraping the bottom of the barrel, but at least they want to improve. Or at least, they are making a very good impression to appear as if they want to improve their athletic standing.

There are several low-end FBS programs that aren't trying to improve and are stealing money by getting walloped by top-tier power conference foes on a yearly basis.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm

armchairqb wrote:It's a couple days old, but North Texas fills their head coaching vacancy.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/28/florida-assistant-dan-mccarney-accepts-north-texas-job/

That program is scraping the bottom of the barrel, but at least they want to improve. Or at least, they are making a very good impression to appear as if they want to improve their athletic standing.

There are several low-end FBS programs that aren't trying to improve and are stealing money by getting walloped by top-tier power conference foes on a yearly basis.

Not sure if you are saying that hiring Dan McCarney is scraping the bottom of the barrel? If so, I think you are wrong with your assessment of his ability. He did a better job at Iowa St than Cheesedick, and I could not believe the Cyclones got rid of him. I think McCarney may be scraping the bottom of the barrel going to North Texas, but he must definitely wants to get back as a head coach. I would imagine Hayden Fry helped Dan to get consideration for this job.

If Ferentz were to leave Iowa, Dan McCarney would be towards the top of my list as a replacement.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm

armchairqb wrote:It's a couple days old, but North Texas fills their head coaching vacancy.

Canales is going to stick on there as an offensive coordinator and with the new life that he breathed into that program, I couldn't believe that they didn't hire him as head coach.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:50 pm

They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 pm

RazorHawk wrote:Not sure if you are saying that hiring Dan McCarney is scraping the bottom of the barrel? If so, I think you are wrong with your assessment of his ability. He did a better job at Iowa St than Cheesedick, and I could not believe the Cyclones got rid of him. I think McCarney may be scraping the bottom of the barrel going to North Texas, but he must definitely wants to get back as a head coach. I would imagine Hayden Fry helped Dan to get consideration for this job.

If Ferentz were to leave Iowa, Dan McCarney would be towards the top of my list as a replacement.

For a program like North Texas, McCarney is definitely a step in the right direction. By hiring him, it's mostly apparent that they are at least trying to take the Mean Green up a notch. He is likely the best candidate they could get for the $$$. And when has a Sun Belt school ever forked over $500K/year for a head football coach before?

There will be a new $78M stadium built there in time for the fall of 2011.

I believe North Texas is thinking about moving to C-USA or the MWC, in a few years. They are geographically in a nice spot and could be competitive enough with McCarney in the drivers seat.

Will this happen overnight? No. It will take at least four years to turn a corner on recruiting effectiveness and instilling a winning attitude. With this hire, eventually North Texas will be in the discussion with Troy and FIU as far as contending for their conference title (as long as they are still in the Sun Belt).
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:40 am

I know West Virg job not currently open but this story says if it does come open they may go after Gus Malzahn (story from hail WV website).

http://hailwv.com/2010/12/01/the-case-f ... hn-at-wvu/
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 am

Dossenator wrote:I know West Virg job not currently open but this story says if it does come open they may go after Gus Malzahn (story from hail WV website).

http://hailwv.com/2010/12/01/the-case-f ... hn-at-wvu/

I think Malzahn would be a good fit for WVU.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 pm

All right, this is what I have:

The University of Miami's search for a new football coach shifted away from Jon Gruden and toward Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen and other candidates Wednesday following Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt's morning meeting with Gruden in Tampa.

Gruden officially withdrew his name from consideration Today; will not be hired because the sides could not reach an agreement on terms during Wednesday's negotiations ... some of which included what Gruden wanted for his assistant coaches.

According to another source, Gruden was not willing to say yes at this time because he wants to consider his options, and Miami decided to move ahead because it can't afford to wait.

Foxsports.com reported Wednesday that according to a person close to Gruden; there is "zero percent" chance he will be UM's next coach.

ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson, meanwhile, said on a conference call he "absolutely" expects Gruden, will remain an nfl analyst for the network for "a long time to come."

One high-level UM on Wednesday said; that Hocutt hadn't yet met with all of the candidates he wants to and will not make a hire until he does. The source said a hire was not imminent.

Words from said source -

"We have some good names on our list and we're going to interview every one of them before we make a decision," "It's not just two or three names, but it's not a long list."

Mullen now appears to be at the top of the list.

Mullen, told the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger on Tuesday he had "not talked to anybody" about jobs at other schools.

Mullen told the newspaper he would be flying to Fort Lauderdale on Wednesday for a recruiting trip. Boynton Beach defensive end John Harris orally committed to Mississippi State last month.

Mullen said about the trip to Florida; "It was already scheduled," "I thought I'd let everybody know that in case they are tracking planes."

Mullen, who has been fighting the flu, canceled the trip to South Florida Wednesday.

<>

Also to note:

Randy Shannon told ESPN.com on Tuesday he is interested in the University of Minnesota job and would love to stay in coaching because "you can make a difference in young people's lives."

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm trying to stay as close to developments on this as I can ( I'm sure you can imagine ).

If I hear anything else; I'll do what I can to post it. Though, I've been asked to wait, in some instances, until after certain deadlines have been met, and otherwise published.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:04 pm

I go to footballrumormill.com for a lot of updates and scoops on coaching news. It's not just speculation, they just amass a lot of local news reporting on head coaching situations. They had a link today that said Kyle Whittingham was on Miami's shortlist.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:25 am

This I can inform you without relaying too much:

Miami has a list, of roughly 6 to 7 names.

They will interview everyone on that list before they make their decision, unless they have a really good interview with one particular highly sought candidate. ( Gruden, who is considered off of the list, would have been one )

The other issue; Miami wants to make a hire within the next 7 days.

Recruiting week starts on the 10th, and so, the U is looking to land someone quickly ( one of the reasons Gruden wasn't wooed for a longer period ).

With that in mind; figure on most head coach trips, to South Beach area Florida, in the next week, to have something to do with a potential job change.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:25 pm

The list is believed to include Connecticut coach Randy Edsall near the top.

Edsall is 73-69 in 12 seasons at UConn -- 32-18 the past four seasons.

The Huskies, who are 7-4 this season, will win the Big East and earn a BCS bowl berth if they win at South Florida on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Shannon, who told ESPN.com's Bruce Feldman on Tuesday that he's interested in Minnesota's job, is apparently a candidate for the Vanderbilt job, too.

The Tennessean, citing a source, reported Thursday that Vandy has added Shannon to its list of desired candidates.

Since Shannon's firing, one of UM's seven verbal commitments has de-committed -- Albert Louis-Jean, a four-star defensive back from Brockton, Mass. "It just came down to coach Shannon being let go," Albert-Jean's father, Albert, told Canesport.com.

<>

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Edsall running things. The Big East is down this year, and I don't think UConn's present offensive scheme is what Miami needs to pick themselves up.

I'd like to see a few more names tossed into the hat before we settle here, or, at least be given a clearer explanation as to what precisely the Miami offices are so enthusiastic about over Edsall.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”