sCam Newton

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

sCam Newton

Postby Dossenator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:33 am

Anyone else keeping up with this story. Apparently he wanted to go to Mississippi State. Cam Newton representative told Miss State that they could have the QB if they paid $200,000. Miss State turned this over to the NCAA immediately. On the flip side, Cam's families church was about to be condemned....Cam's dad comes up with big bucks to fix the church (right around $200,000), Dad tells Cam he can not go to Miss State and that he has to go to Auburn....Cam said he allowed his dad to pick his school for him. The NCAA is investigating as I type.

If found to be true then I think the NCAA will come down harder on Auburn then they did on USC and the Reggie Bush situation. If true this is much worse. In Reggie Bush's situation, he took money from an agent to agree to sign with him later as a pro. In this situation (again if true), a representative (or what we should call and agent), was requesting money from the schools themselves. The rumor of course is that Auburn obliged.

Here is what Kirk Herbstreit said on the subject (from ESPN radio appearance):
"It's too early to say but talking to sources it's going to get really bad for Auburn in the end....Cam will go on to the NFL after the season and could careless what happens...Auburn will be the school that will get hammered for this and if some of the things being said comes out to be true and Auburn knew and paid for Newton and it sure seems to be smoke there...you will be talking about killing off a program for the next 10yrs the way the NCAA will hammer them."

ESPN Story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

Scout.com Story:
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1018623.html

Mississippi reported this in July and Auburn knew of the allegations....and they played him anyway. This could get ugly.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: sCam Newton

Postby silverfox » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:53 am

All one can do is shake one's head.

This kind of bad publicity hurts all of college football and makes all programs suspect - even if it is not true. Its darn if they did or darn if they didn't.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:31 am

You could have sure bought a lot of laptop computers with $200,000.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

strawman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby strawman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Auburn was just tithing.
The Coach K Slam - Olympic Champion, World Champion, NCAA Champion, ACC Champion

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:49 pm

strawman wrote:Auburn was just tithing.

LOL!! :lol:

I hope he gets benched for the Georgia game. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:23 pm

You know a man named Kenny Rogers turned him in.
Made me think of the gambler ( with slightly different lyrics).

You got to know when it's stolen,
Or the cops will come a knockin',
Know when to transfer,
Auburn's the highest bidder,
You can't count your money,
When you're sittin' on the sideline,
There will be time enough for countin',
When the season's done.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm

My only beef is that paying gives them an unfair advantage in recruiting. Cam Newton is still one heck of a quarterback and would have benefited any program no matter where he went. If Auburn paid quite a few of its top recruits then it should be hit hard.

They need to derail the Tiger Express this year if this is true. No taking it back in hindsight.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:13 pm

I think it depends on who pays. If it is a booster the school should have to cut all ties with the booster forever. If the school pays, they should get what SMU got and I am completely serious about that punishment. No one accidently pays someone. They problem with the NCAA is they say buying a kid lunch on a recruiting trip and buying his family a house is the same thing. It really isn't.

The people who pay are the people who have to be punished to end this. If it is an agent the NFL has to get involved and never do business with that agent or that company. If you cut the blood supply off from a tumor it will die.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:43 pm

If your program is sucessful you are under the microscope.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:16 am

How do you classify a donation to a church the family is affiliated with and stick it to any one person? Someone felt the need to thank god Cam Newton was coming to Auburn? There are so many shady things that can be done and anyone with a lick of sense isn't going to take anything directly. How many college football players drive great cars that belong to a friend? Or live in a house owned by a friend?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 am

Here is the major problem with high profile athletes. Teacher, coaches, and administrators at the high school level as well as parents and peers make prima donna's out of these players. They push them though high school instead of getting them ready for college. They make sure the are eligible to play their sport instead of ready to take the ACT. Then when they get to college they feel entitled and people wonder when they will learn. The althetic scholarship programs is an advantage kids can use to trade hard work on the field for an education. It isn't minor league football. Very few of these kids get drafted into the NFL, even fewer make football a career.

Primary and secondary schools in this country are too worried about everything but educating kids. They think kids can't handle any kind of "pressure". Sports is supposed to be a way to get an education. If a player gets more than that, good for him.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315
Here is part of the story by Joe Schad:
Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton, admitted in separate phone conversations to a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person that would provide more specifics...

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret about his change of commitment from Mississippi State, stating that his father Cecil had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:07 am

Dossenator wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315
Here is part of the story by Joe Schad:
Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton, admitted in separate phone conversations to a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person that would provide more specifics...

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret about his change of commitment from Mississippi State, stating that his father Cecil had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

I hope something can happen on this, this week.....We need all the help we can get to unseat them.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 am

And here is what Cam had to say. Does this sound like an innocent person talking. If you did not do it then just say I did nothing wrong...instead he sounds like he is lying and trying to cover something up. This could get ugly.

"I'm not going to entertain something that took place not three months, not six months, not a year but two years ago," Cam Newton said. "I'm not going to sit up here and say anything about it, whether I did or did not do it, because I don't want to beat a dead horse talking about it. It's not going to affect me any way, shape or fashion."

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 am

Dossenator wrote:And here is what Cam had to say. Does this sound like an innocent person talking. If you did not do it then just say I did nothing wrong...instead he sounds like he is lying and trying to cover something up. This could get ugly.

"I'm not going to entertain something that took place not three months, not six months, not a year but two years ago," Cam Newton said. "I'm not going to sit up here and say anything about it, whether I did or did not do it, because I don't want to beat a dead horse talking about it. It's not going to affect me any way, shape or fashion."

PLEASE suspend him!!

What arrogance...."It's not going to affect me in any way"???

The NCAA might act just to spite him, for saying that.

And then call him privately and rub it in.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”