Worst Schedules played by Wire Service Champions

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Worst Schedules played by Wire Service Champions

Postby ktffan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:15 pm

10. 1957 Auburn

Three opponents that finished ranked, only 7 majors on the schedule and one non-IA team. Four finished with a winning record, one went to bowls. Opponents went .490.

9. 1955 Oklahoma

Two opponents that finished ranked, three finished with a winning record, two went to bowls. Opponents went .432.

8. 1947 Notre Dame

Two opponents finished ranked, three with a winning record, one went to a bowl. Opponents went .396

7. 1954 UCLA

Two opponents finished ranked, one was not I-A, three finished with a winning record and one went to a bowl. Opponents went .416.

6. 1951 Tennessee

Two opponents finished ranked, two were not I-A, only 5 major programs. Six teams finished with a winning record and two went to bowls. Opponents went .559.

5. 1976 Pittsburg

Two opponents finished ranked, 8 were majors. Three finished with a winning record, three went to bowls. Opponents went .485

4. 1980 Georgia

Two opponents finished ranked, 4 finished with a winning record, and three went to bowls. Oponents went .415.

3. 1938 TCU

One opponent finished ranked, 6 were majors, four finished with a winning record and one went to a bowl. Opponents went .458.

2. 1956 Oklahoma

One opponent finished ranked, one finished with a winning record, one went to a bowl. Opponents went .347.

1. 1984 BYU

No opponents finished ranked, only 3 majors, 4 finished with a winning record, two went to bowls. Opponents went .419.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:07 pm

hmmm...the landscape must have changed enough in the last 20 years to make it more difficult to take a #1 AP with a weak schedule.

Don't know all the factors but the increasing influence of the media's talking heads, the BCS formulas, etc., might be making it difficult to win with a weak schedule.

For instance...I think the handwriting is on the wall for WVU already...any stumble and WVU shall be punished and other one loss teams will move past them. The way is there for WVU to win the NC, but it will demand an undefeated season.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:39 am

I remember the 84 BYU, I thought it was such a joke. Steve Young earned them that championship.

I dont know what to think about the GA NC...Even though the SEC might have been down that year, they still beat the crowd favorite Notre Dame.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:54 am

I must say that when one considers the points, thoughts and content of this topic along with the points, thoughts and contents of the topics 'Records Against #1 Teams' and 'Good Article' one can appreciate the tasks and dilemmas the the college and university presidents, the BCS committee, the conferences, the teams and the fans are wrestling with.

Good Stuff, Gentlemen.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:48 am

I remember the 84 BYU, I thought it was such a joke. Steve Young earned them that championship

Robbie Bosco led BYU as QB in 1984 during their championship season.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

colorado_loves_football

Re: Worst Schedules played by Wire Service Champions

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:30 pm

ktffan wrote:
3. 1938 TCU

One opponent finished ranked, 6 were majors, four finished with a winning record and one went to a bowl. Opponents went .458.
They beat a good team, in the Sugar Bowl to win their first NC.

Kttfan wrote:2. 1956 Oklahoma

One opponent finished ranked, one finished with a winning record, one went to a bowl. Opponents went .347.

1. 1984 BYU

No opponents finished ranked, only 3 majors, 4 finished with a winning record, two went to bowls. Opponents went .419.
I suppose I should have figured you guys would try to find a way to 'sully' BYU's national championship, but does it really hold up to scrutiny?
We should remember that BYU did in fact win all their games. Secondly, when they played Pitt, Pitt was ranked nationally, so that's a deceiving statistic (no opponents finished ranked) if there ever was one.
Now, if you guys want to 'split' hairs, here's something to chew on.
Nebraska, in 1984 beat the living snot out of UCLA, who beat USC, who beat Ohio St (who were Big Ten Champions, that year).
Oklahoma beat Nebraska, to win the Big Eight title and were beaten, fairly soundly by Washington.
Washington played Michigan (and won 20-11, in Ann Arbor MI). Here's another tid-bit of information, Michigan opened against defending national champions, Miami, FL, and won 22-14. True, Michigan didn't win a Big Ten title, losing to Ohio St, 21-6 in Columbus, OH. But, Michigan was far from a 'push-over'. Washington did in fact have a claim on the national title, 1984. The following year, they played Brigham Young, and lost. BYU also lost to UCLA, that year. But, they played Ohio St, in the Florida Citrus Bowl, and lost 10-9. For my money, BYU won a 'legitimate' national title in 1984.
As far as TCU is concerned, they were undefeated. they played Georgia S. I believe in the Sugar Bowl, and won. That team was ranked #5 at the time. Probably 1935 was a more 'representative' year for TCU as #1.
Either way, they did what was necessary, and that's all that matters to me.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:45 pm

1984 BYU

As the ad says..."end of story..."

The record speaks...

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:33 pm

billybud wrote:
I remember the 84 BYU, I thought it was such a joke. Steve Young earned them that championship

Robbie Bosco led BYU as QB in 1984 during their championship season.

Hmm...I could have swore that was Steve Young's year...My bad. The point still stands though, they played no one.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:10 pm

good thing all of FSU's opponents are overrated every year, so you can make the same SOS argument over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:08 pm

I have nothing against Notre Dame, but c'mon, you had to go back to 1993 to find a bowl that ND won! You better talk a lot of trash this season, ND has a good chance to dominate the way they are known to do.

That Smadzija guy is the real deal, and so is the boxer. Quinn is talked about all the time, but with good reason.

FSU used to be DB U, now Texas is.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Derek wrote:
Hmm...I could have swore that was Steve Young's year...My bad. The point still stands though, they played no one.
Steve Young played with the 1983 BYU team that laid the groundwork for the 1984 national championship run.
I will only say this one time: BYU did what was necessary to win a national championship. Whether (or not) it suits you is irrelevant.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:35 pm

They played no one.

- John Madden

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:06 pm

Derek wrote:They played no one.
Not true.
They played Pittsburgh, ranked nationally, at the time, and beat them, in their own backyard. They beat Baylor, the only team to beat BYU, in 1983.

If you are suggesting playing in the WAC isn't a 'true' representation of how good a team likely is, I have to disagree with you on principle. One of the teams they beat was Air Force. Air Force wasn't a bad team, neither for that matter was Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, or Hawaii (a game they nearly lost).

So, if your argument is based upon playing in the WAC, you simply need to acknowledge that the WAC is a competitive football conference. They beat Michigan, the VERY Michigan team that beat #1 and defending national champions (and undefeated) Miami Hurricanes, to begin their season.

The only team BYU didn't beat was Washington. Washington didn't even win the Pac-Ten confernece, but you are going to hand them over the NC.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:09 pm

. 1984 BYU

The record speaks for itself....no way to spin this that BYU played a decent schedule that any knowledgable fan would buy.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:22 am

billybud wrote:1
. 1984 BYU

The record speaks for itself....no way to spin this that BYU played a decent schedule that any knowledgable fan would buy.

Exactly. He had to go back a few weeks to get this one. :P

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”