Ohio State and Choklahoma?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Ohio State and Choklahoma?

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:05 am

Why is it that Ohio State keeps having a bum rap over it's BCS performances, yet I still hear the term "Big Game Bob" about Bob Stoops? They both have rich histories, winning teams, conference champions year after year, and both lose in all of their bowl games.

I would really enjoy some Choklahoma bashing from the sportswriters. I mean c'mon, their mascot is the original mobile home.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Ohio State and Choklahoma?

Postby RazorHawk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:33 am

My guess might be that Oklahoma is in a conference that may be or is perceived to be stronger than that conference that THE Ohio St Buckeyes are in. It requires more quality wins for the Sooners to get in a position to choke, than it does the Bucks.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:39 pm

I think also that Ohio State has did it on a bigger stage.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:36 pm

I can always go for some good ole Choklahoma Bashing! One of the only good things about living in Texas!

By the way, San Antonio has now had 45 days of 100 degree temps or higher. (But they don't bring up 97 and higher which I believe we had 2 days that did not qualify since June 01 or so. You gotta be kidding, who in the world settled this place...and I love what these people call Creeks here...we call 'em storm drains and culverts back home! (Can it really be a Creek if it has water in it 50 or 60 hours a year???? And I don't think this is hyperbole!)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:02 pm

It gets no worse than Chokelahoma in my opinion. Mainly because they do choke and are given the benefit of the doubt year in year out....Sickening.

IMO, it's more nauseating than the USC love fest.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 am

I think the fact that some people call them "choklahoma" means they aren't being given the benefit of the doubt. Oklahoma is a good program. They are over-rated some years and under-rated some years. That makes them like every other team.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:04 am

From a West Coast observation.....if you ask football fans here about what program is the best...words to that affect..here is the answer..hands down .....of the three mentioned..

1. Ohio State....they see that program as the one to emulate

2. Texas...just because they win....their arrogance is more than anyone can stand...but..they win

3. Oklahoma........OK..but not like when Bud Wilkenson was there, Switzer...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:07 am

WoVeU wrote:I can always go for some good ole Choklahoma Bashing! One of the only good things about living in Texas!

By the way, San Antonio has now had 45 days of 100 degree temps or higher. (But they don't bring up 97 and higher which I believe we had 2 days that did not qualify since June 01 or so. You gotta be kidding, who in the world settled this place...and I love what these people call Creeks here...we call 'em storm drains and culverts back home! (Can it really be a Creek if it has water in it 50 or 60 hours a year???? And I don't think this is hyperbole!)

There one thing I have notices the past 20 years or so.
San Antonio the weather pattern is there are time it gets hot and dry for many days in a row.
Then there are times when it start to rain it seen like it will never stop.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:17 am

donovan wrote:From a West Coast observation.....if you ask football fans here about what program is the best...words to that affect..here is the answer..hands down .....of the three mentioned..

1. Ohio State....they see that program as the one to emulate

2. Texas...just because they win....their arrogance is more than anyone can stand...but..they win

3. Oklahoma........OK..but not like when Bud Wilkenson was there, Switzer...

It's called Swagger! LOL!!! Even our motto is swaggerlicious: "We're Texas"

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:13 pm

you did...there were only three teams mentioned.....my opinion of the best programs in the country would include more than one from the PAC 10.....but this board has token West Coast Representation so....sometime spitting in the wind..well we have all done that......looking forward to the season.....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Howdy wrote:
WoVeU wrote:I can always go for some good ole Choklahoma Bashing! One of the only good things about living in Texas!

There one thing I have notices the past 20 years or so.
San Antonio the weather pattern is there are time it gets hot and dry for many days in a row.
Then there are times when it start to rain it seen like it will never stop.

It is crazy. Your account is pretty much mine. But the rain seems to mostly occur from late Fall to early Spring...mostly when the temperature is below 70 or so. I have always said they have 2 seasons here, Summer (on PCP) and the Rainy Season. But you don't get much green out of it. Brown way too often for me! West Texas and South Texas are pretty rough!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Spence wrote:I think the fact that some people call them "choklahoma" means they aren't being given the benefit of the doubt. Oklahoma is a good program. They are over-rated some years and under-rated some years. That makes them like every other team.

Honestly...I must be missing the under-rated years over the last decade. And to me, when the media uses the term Choklahoma, it is part getting on their case and part excusatory...resounding like, "They are really great...but they just didn't have it that game!" Not that that would be a real bad assessment! I for one think FBS football, especially the bowls, more so the bigger bowls...are the hardest game on the big favorite of all the sports I watch! I am very impressed when teams play just like you have seen them in the regular season, more than I am shocked or stunned when they don't!

But I still think they are a media darling!
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Derek wrote:It gets no worse than Chokelahoma in my opinion. Mainly because they do choke and are given the benefit of the doubt year in year out....Sickening.

Derek, Derek, please watch your language! :shock:
There can not be anything more nauseating than the USC love fest!!!
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 pm

WoVeU wrote:
Derek wrote:It gets no worse than Chokelahoma in my opinion. Mainly because they do choke and are given the benefit of the doubt year in year out....Sickening.

Derek, Derek, please watch your language! :shock:
There can not be anything more nauseating than the USC love fest!!!

Sorry. :oops: :oops: 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:53 am

Uhhh...I find the Tebow love fest to be the most sickening of all.

See Tebow visiting the hospital, hear Tebow espouse virginity, hear ESPN annoint Tebow as best QB since Elway, see the Saint Tebow shirts with the halo....

Saint Tebow of the SEC.....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”