Regionals...baseball

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Regionals...baseball

Postby billybud » Fri May 29, 2009 10:09 am

Out for the day...Regionals across town...got to head out to watch Ohio State and Georgia.

What a deal, compared to football. For $95 my wife and I have seats about six rows up in back of the first base dugout for all of the games.

Ohio State has pitching. Two ace pitchers with a combined record of 20-3. They are throwing Wimmer against Georgia and Wimmer is hot...11.9 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched...ERA under 3.00.

Georgia has HR hitters who can pound the ball if they see it...Gotta go...see y'all tomorrow...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Regionals...baseball

Postby donovan » Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 am

Now we are talking......
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat May 30, 2009 12:26 am

Hogs beat Washington State today....they scored 9 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to win 10-3.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat May 30, 2009 9:53 am

Georgia beat Ohio State bad. Ohio State lost in the B-10 tourney early as well. They are not playing well right now. Coach Todd probably should quit whining about seeding now and get his players ready to play baseball. :roll:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat May 30, 2009 10:37 am

Dossenator wrote:Hogs beat Washington State today....they scored 9 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to win 10-3.

Washington State was gifted into the tournament. I have long been of the opinion that Coaching can stop these 8 run onslaughts in one inning.....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat May 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Dossenator wrote:Hogs beat Washington State today....they scored 9 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning to win 10-3.
We play ZERO U tonight. If a miracle happens and we somehow make it to Omaha, I may be heading North for some baseball.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat May 30, 2009 5:19 pm

I caught a little bit of the action yesterday on TV. Strausberg was really good and Marist was hanging tight with FSU before that 3-run jack.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat May 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Well...Marist was beat down 16-4. Like a plug in the dam..when the FSU hits started rolling, Marist couldn't control the flood. Like a lot of small programs, Marist has not much pitching depth. Once they get past their ace, the pitching falls off.

With FSU's 8-2 win over Georgia today, things are looking up for the Noles. Holding the Dawg's big bats down was directly attributable to the rookie pitcher who went all nine innings. Georgia's pitcher wasn't any slouch, it was a two run game until the FSU bats came alive for a late spat of runs.

After watching Georgia pour on the 24 runs against the Buckeyes, I was really sweating their hitting. They have some power hitters.

It looks like it will be Georgia vs FSU for this regional unless the Buckeyes surprise me...they did get past Marist.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat May 30, 2009 11:24 pm

Yep. In college baseball, small-time programs have a decent shot in a one-game deal which is why we see a lot of head-scratchers in the CBB tournament. I noticed Dartmouth gave UNC a ballgame but lost to Kansas 16-0 today. I didn't see the final score from the FSU/Marist game though after assuming the 8-4 lead pretty much meant game over :shock:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun May 31, 2009 12:10 am

Hogs beat OU today 17-6...Go Hogs!!!

Donovan, I agree....no way a team should score 8 runs on you in one inning. No coaching going on there.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Sun May 31, 2009 2:56 pm

RazorHawk wrote:
We play ZERO U tonight. If a miracle happens and we somehow make it to Omaha, I may be heading North for some baseball.

Have Hog hat. Will travel. Is Purdue still in it? LOL
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun May 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Florida St is up 20 - 0 after 3 1/2 innings against Ohio St. If Arkansas manages to beat OU once, either tonight or tomorrow night, they will probably be traveling to Tallahassee to play the Noles in the Super Regional.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun May 31, 2009 11:40 pm

Hogs whip OU 11-0 today. Hogs win the OU reginal easily...winning all three games they played (scoring 38 runs in 3 games). Go Hogs!!!!!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 am

FSU set NCAA records playing Ohio State in the regional finals...beating the Bucks 37-6.

...37 runs...most runs in a post season game.
...38 hits...most hits in a postseason game
...15 doubles...most doubles by a team in a game...
...66 total bases...NCAA postseason record.

And, it could have been 50 runs. Coach Martin started pulling starters, FSU held guys at third when they could have gone home, didn't steal a base...and, put in pitchers, who were getting their first college at bat, for designated hitter and pinch hitter. Coach Martin, ahead by 30 runs, appealed to the NCAA to call the game after completion of the 7th inning and was denied.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am

Billybud...are you going to be at the Arkansas vs Florida St super regional? I'll be watching on my laptop. Should be good.

Last time the two schools played was in Fayetteville in 2004. The Hogs eliminated Florida St and received a trip to Omaha for the college world series that year.

Return to “General Discussion”