Who is most likely to make a run this season....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Who is most likely to make a run this season....

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:33 pm

for the national championship?

What I mean is in terms of experience returning, who among the contenders is best poised to go?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:51 pm

I agree that WVU has a solid chance at a run, but they still lost 10 guys that they have to replace. Is their anyone that has 18 or so starters coming back? Maybe Florida?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:02 am

Coach Rodriguez is building a solid program at West Virginia. I'm sure he regretted having to do it, but he let 3 players go last week because they did not meet the academic standards set by him and do the things he requires to remain with the program. He tells his players up front that their first priority in the program is to get their degree and that the program requires study hall sessions and provides help to those in need of academic help. The program's academic standards are higher than the NCCA requires and his expectations for his players performance on the field, in the class room and in general are rigid.

Very similar to the other good coach's programs throughout the country.

Some are critical of his approach. I support it because in the long run I believe it's the correct thing to do for the good of the players and the program.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:14 am

mountainman wrote:Coach Rodriguez is building a solid program at West Virginia. I'm sure he regretted having to do it, but he let 3 players go last week because they did not meet the academic standards set by him and do the things he requires to remain with the program. He tells his players up front that their first priority in the program is to get their degree and that the program requires study hall sessions and provides help to those in need of academic help. The program's academic standards are higher than the NCCA requires and his expectations for his players performance on the field, in the class room and in general are rigid.

Very similar to the other good coach's programs throughout the country.

Some are critical of his approach. I support it because in the long run I believe it's the correct thing to do for the good of the players and the program.

I read about that last week. That is one of the reasons Rodriguez will make it. he understands the big picture - disipline. If a player doesn't take care of his responsibilities off the field, you can't count on him to do it on the field.

Michigan has 8- O, 8- D , Punter and Kicker

Arkansas has 10- O,9-D , Punter.

Louisville has 8 O, 9 D, Kicker , Punter

Michigan and Louiville might have a crack at it

Michigan has a real shot at being good next year. They have a lot of experience in the skill positions and on the lines. Their problem is they have to over come the "slow" factor on defense. Their offense should shine next year.

Louisville is in the same position as WVU. The winner between the two should have clear sailing.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:15 am

That's good pickin' HuskerMoon. I too think the Wolverines will be tough this coming season and I expect Louisville to have an outstanding offense that can put up bunches of points. :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:08 am

Right now, I believe the national title is right there for several teams to win. :shock:

I don't see any team that does not have question marks and things to prove. Texas, for example, has a bunch of talent, but Vince Young was so effective gaining yardage when plays broke down last season it was difficult for me to determine just how good they were. He gave the Longhorns the flexibility and options to do some things that they otherwise would not have had. I have to wait and see how the new QB deals with the game. :?

As we all have witnessed that sometimes a team matures throughout the season, getting better each week, while other teams flop because of a key injury, a scandal, or some other distraction. And sometimes teams simply just don't come together and get that mystical 'team chemistry' for reasons that are just as mystical. When a team has the 'chemistry', you know it, when they don't you know it, but you really cannot explain how they got it or why they lost it or how to get it back. :roll:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:45 am

WVU has the best chance...

They play a really, really weak schedule for a BCS team....no VT in OOC this year...

The Schedule:

Marshall....Marshall was 4-7 last year

Eastern Washington.....ink the win in

Maryland....5-6 last year...zero for 5 against top 30 teams

E. Carolina....5-6 last year

Miss St........3-8 last year...an SEC team, but maybe the worst

Syracuse......1-10..the picture of suckitude

UConn.........5-6 last year

Louisville......the whole season is this game...probably only ranked team

Cincinatti.....4-7 last year

Pitt...............5-6 last year

USF.............6-6 last year

Rutgers.......7-5

WVU will play only two teams who had winning records last year, no teams that won a bowl, and maybe, only one ranked team....

Based on schedule, I give WVU the best chance for a run.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Believe me guys, it's not worth putting your money on Michigan. They have never failed to disappoint. :(
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:29 pm

The Mountaineers schedule is definitely not the strongest around, but that can, will and has been said about many teams. They are expected to and should have a good team though, regardless of the schedule, and hopefully will get an opportunity to show just how good they turn out to be in a BCS Bowl. Of course, the only thing in their control is how well they play the games. If they are good enough and can win the conference, then the rest is in the hands of others. 8)

There have been teams from other conferences that appeared to be stronger than they turned out to be as evidenced by their regular season and conference records, and rankings, but have failed miserably against the BCS Bowl level of competition. :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:32 pm

I think West Virginia is going to be a really good team next year, but we're all forgetting about Louisville!! I have the Cards winning the Big East in 06. But, if we get away from my useless prediction, we see that West Virginia has a great shot to make a run at the title. They just got off a huge Sugar Bowl win and most of the main parts are in place.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:47 pm

You are right, Eric. About Louisville having a good team this coming season. I'm certainly not assuming anything when it come to the Cardinals. :wink:

It's like Coach Rodriguez said to the press during spring practic, "Gee mo ne Christmas ...... we win the Sugar Bowl in a close game against a very good Georgia team and you guys start talking national championship .... let's worry about getting better and winning the conference first ..." :roll:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:48 pm

billybud wrote:WVU has the best chance...

Based on schedule, I give WVU the best chance for a run.
Certainly WV has a 'chance' but the criteria for them isn't 'running the table' it's winning the Big East Conference (something they are good at).

I think it's Louisville's turn to 'make a run' in the Big East. They were the odds-on favorite, last year, and still nearly qualified, in spite of losing to USF. Plus, I think they are 'poised' to make it, after sitting out two years.

If we are talking about a 'non-BCS' team, several stand out, in my mind.

The MWC champion, I think has a pretty decent shot at the BCS. Whether it be TCU, Utah, BYU, CSU or New Mexico. But, whichever team it is, will likely need to be 'perfect' or close to it.

C-USA I think Tulsa could make a run. S. Mississippi will likely be tough.
E. Carolina is always pretty good, too. WAC it could be Nevada's turn to 'shine'. Fresno St will likely be tough, however, as will Boise St.

MAC I think Toledo is always pretty good. Akron will be a challenge, as will Bowling Green. But Toledo seems more likely to 'run the table'.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:57 pm

Toledo has a quarterback situation they had to figure out. The backup was flat out pathetic against Fresno State. Same goes for Bowling Green. When BGSU went into that slide, Anthony Turner was the guy running the system when Jacobs had that shoulder injury. Akron might be a very good team coming into this year. They have some big games on the schedule like when they play NC State. That's got to be one you circle on the "Upset Calendar". Of course, I don't think any team from the MAC will come close to running the table.

Nevada's loss of Flowers and Mitchell are massive. People aren't aware of the effect B.J. Mitchell had in that pistol offense of Chris Ault's. He was the WAC Offensive POY. I think Nevada will have a lot of firepower but won't be good enough to run the table. Maybe an 8 win season should be suspected. As for Fresno, there is way too much talent missing from last year. I think we'll see 7 wins out of that club. Boise won't be as good as recent years but will likely get 8 or 9 wins this season. The Broncos will win the WAC this year.

I think the MWC has a lot of decent teams, everyone besides Air Force having a good shot at a bowl game. That's going to hurt any chances of a BCS team unless one emerges as a magnificent team. CSU, UNM, BYU, Utah, UNLV, and TCU will be in that 6-8 win range.

The Sun Belt.............is the Sun Belt. No need to dig any further.

Same goes for C-USA as it does for the MWC. It is amazingly deep, one of the deepest ones I know of. UAB, Southern Miss, Houston, SMU, ECU, Marshall, Tulsa, UCF, Memphis, and UTEP have equal shots at winning the division making it the hardest one ever to select a winner. The depth automatically takes a severe gash at anyone's hopes of a BCS appearance in C-USA.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Certainly WV has a 'chance' but the criteria for them isn't 'running the table' it's winning the Big East Conference (something they are good at).

Do not underestimate what the fans expect..winning the BE is sort of expected...if you aspire to elite status, its a down year when you are out of the NC race. Two losses for WVU, and its all over...and the fans will not be happy, BE Champ or not.

Do you think that FSU was overjoyed by winning the conference for the 12th time in 14 attempts? Winning the conference isn't always the bar.

WVU hasn't necessarily "been good at" winning the conference...in the last 15 seasons, WVU has only had two non shared BE championships (and last year's was with Miami and VT out of the picture). That's the same as Syracuse...

BE Championships...(some as co-champions)..since 1991

Miami........9 (in two fewer years playing)
WVU..........4
Syracuse...4
VT.............3 (in two fewer years playing)
BC.............1
Pitt.............1

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Billybud wrote:Do you think that FSU was overjoyed by winning the conference for the 12th time in 14 attempts? Winning the conference isn't always the bar.

Winning the conference is expected from a lot of teams. FSU being one. West Virginia beat Georgia last year, that raises the bar. Fans will expect them to jump over it.

I think that is how it should be. Winning a conference is all well and good, but the prize is the national championship. The conference title is just a step along the path.

Return to “General Discussion”