Off Topic...Football, Blessings, and the Chain

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Off Topic...Football, Blessings, and the Chain

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:30 pm

As I sat in the stadium sun this weekend on a beautiful football saturday, I thought of blessings. One year ago, I could not negotiate the stadium steps and was contemplating a diminished life. Now healthy, I spent Saturday at the VT game. It was one of those treasures of the heart, we shared a wonderful afternoon and evening with my son and his girlfriend. My long time seat mates next to us graciously swapped tickets for one game so that we could all sit together.

As Matt and I discussed plays and schemes and cheered, I realized that football is a legacy. My dad and I watched football together and shared a common love and bond (albeit his true love was Michigan). I now realize that some day, Matt will be in the stands with his own son and lifes chain will add another link. Some moments in life seem so perfect that as Jim Croce said..you wish you could put time in a bottle. Saturday was a day that I bottled.

On Sunday morning, my wife and rode with friends, on the bike, across the snowy white fields of south Georgia (cotton is now blooming) while under a cloudless sky. We ended up, after a nice lunch at a country restaurant, back in Florida having a beer at a lakeside outdoor deck/bar and chatting with our friends.

I guess this post sounds a little mushy, but this weekend was just so perfect, I wanted to blurt it out. Life is good. Even in uncertain times.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Off Topic...Football, Blessings, and the Chain

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:56 pm

I am so very glad you health is good, that you are enjoying the life you desire. Thanks for telling us this, it bolsters my spirit and gives pause for reflection of what is truly important.

Sports in my life have never been about the sport, it was just the catalyst for what you have described. Always a good reminder of what is important and what is not. Your friend.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks for sharing that. Most people fail to stop and smell the roses. (Not talking about the Rose Bowl either)
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Yeah, cool story. Glad to hear you're doing well.

Georgia and Florida sound warm :(
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:54 pm

My dad and I went to big league baseball games, college, and NFL games. When I go to games now that he is gone it aways makes me think of him. Always a memory. Good story BB.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 pm

I agree Billy..my love of football came from my family and the fact that my grandparents grew up and met in Athens and my grandfather sold peanuts at the stadium before WW2, before it was Sanford Stadium. It's just been passed down, and I will do the same.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:10 pm

billybud wrote:As I sat in the stadium sun this weekend on a beautiful football saturday, I thought of blessings. One year ago, I could not negotiate the stadium steps and was contemplating a diminished life. Now healthy, I spent Saturday at the VT game. It was one of those treasures of the heart, we shared a wonderful afternoon and evening with my son and his girlfriend. My long time seat mates next to us graciously swapped tickets for one game so that we could all sit together.

As Matt and I discussed plays and schemes and cheered, I realized that football is a legacy. My dad and I watched football together and shared a common love and bond (albeit his true love was Michigan). I now realize that some day, Matt will be in the stands with his own son and lifes chain will add another link. Some moments in life seem so perfect that as Jim Croce said..you wish you could put time in a bottle. Saturday was a day that I bottled.

On Sunday morning, my wife and rode with friends, on the bike, across the snowy white fields of south Georgia (cotton is now blooming) while under a cloudless sky. We ended up, after a nice lunch at a country restaurant, back in Florida having a beer at a lakeside outdoor deck/bar and chatting with our friends.

I guess this post sounds a little mushy, but this weekend was just so perfect, I wanted to blurt it out. Life is good. Even in uncertain times.

Must be something in the air.
After my bypass surgery this is the best day I had in awhile.
Getting stronger each day.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Good for you Howdy..it is a good day.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks Billybud! And to all the commentors!

That is the best thing I've read in years.

To health, strength of heart, good moments, and making memories! And thanks to the Autumn Wind that blows in and lets us relive them again!

'Cause you can't hold back the wind
If it's meant to be again...
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”