Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:06 pm

I said that mid way through the season that the B-10 was average this year. I still believe that. I think Ohio State has a good team, but we have to keep from all the turnovers. That has really been the cause of all of Ohio State's problems this year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:21 pm

I'm a long time mich fan who says GO BUCKS beat ND

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:24 pm

no conference has emerged as the best,most of the bowl games have been very close,parity rules in college football which would make for a GREAT playoff

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:30 pm

Ok, let's be fair in our assessment of how every conference is judged, if you are going to assume that every bad call is going against Big Ten.
I don't agree at all that Michigan was screwed, I think Nebraska beat them, but you have a right to your opinion.
Secondly, Northwestern played a good game against UCLA, and nearly won, but for a late INT, but you can't if and but your way into a W.
I'ts possible Iowa was screwed, and they nearly did pull off an incredible upset over Florida, and that call against them was definitely unfair.
So, I might agree that there was a team that wasnt' given a fair 'shake' 1/3, so far.
Wisconsin beat Auburn, so that's another one in your favor. Ohio State beat Notre Dame, beat them fairly convincingly, so that's 3.
But I'm not sure that means anything other than that there were a lot of good teams in I-A including (but not limited to) the Big Ten.
SEC, you have to look at what LSU did before you write the entire conference off. Similarly, Alabama beat a pretty decent Texas Tech team, or at least held on long enough to beat them, but not convincingly.
So there might be legitimate question as to how good the SEC was.
Similarly, I think you have to at least acknowledge that the Big East was a lot better than many thought they'd be, if W.Virginia's performance is any sort of indicator. And Lousiville, really played Va. Tech pretty close but for a late INT, so all-in-all I thought the Big East did pretty well, even Rutgers came close to beating Arizona State, in Arizona.
But if you look at it purely in terms of W/L then I guess the Big East comes up short.
So, that really only leaves the ACC, and So far they've been probably the most competitive, although Ga.Tech lost a game they probably ought to have won (to Utah).
The Big XII N. won every game, the only excepton being TCU vs. Iowa State, and their wins were over Michigan (Big Ten), Houston (C-USA), S.Carolina (SEC) and had Colorado won over Clemson (SEC).
So, that leaves MWC.
BYU lost to Cal (Pac-Ten), but TCU beat Iowa State (Big XII N.) and as anyone knows, triangulation gives TCU the nod over Big Ten (Nebraska), C-USA (Kansas), ACC (Utah), but for BYU's loss to California, that would make MWC #1.
so the only logical conclusion is to give Pac-Ten trophy by virtue of Cal's win over BYU and USC's win over Texas since that will give them the edge in terms of head-to-head games.
In all seriousness, I'd rank the conferences as follows:
#1 Big XII
#2 ACC
#3 Pac Ten
#4 Big Ten
#5 Big East
#6 SEC
#7 MWC
#8 WAC
#9 C-USA
#10 MAC
#11 Sun-Belt