Great OOC Rivalries....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Great OOC Rivalries....

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:00 pm

There are some great OOC rivalries out there....

Some of my favorites, starting with the homer...

1..FSU vs Fla...

So unlike the gentleman's rivalry with Miami... much more intense feelings of players and fans...pregame brawls, balls thrown at coach's heads, visitors pelted with wadded up cups of ice and oranges, crowds roaring like a B 52 at lift off, the wafting essence of pepper spray...

From 1992 to 2001, in all ten seasons, one of these teams was in the Top Five at game time and both were in the Top Five in 5 of the years.

2.. ND vs Michigan/USC

Love these rivalries...whether up or down years, always a pageant and usually a great game to watch. The old royalty of college ball... and some of us still hear the echoes of Grantland Rice's famous line.."outlined against a blue gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again."

3. Boston College vs Notre Dame

These catholic schools sincerely do not like each other...They bicker about football, about quality of classes, about who is more catholic....Notre Dame calls it's Boston brother "fredo"...after the weak brother and Boston points out with urban snobbishness how the midwest city of South Bend can't compare to cultured Boston. But most of all, BC loves to point out how they cost the Irish a shot at the 1993 NC.

4. Clemson vs South Carolina

The fanatic southern fans of these schools make this rivalry fun...As with other in-state rivalries, most fans are baptised as a Tiger or Gamecook at birth and learn to despise the opponents colors before they learn to read.
The wars carry into the workplace...South Carolina isn't that big of a state.

and I'm sure there are a bunch more...

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:04 pm

I think I can come up with a couple more:

What about Michigan State vs. Notre Dame?

West Virginia and Va Tech are really getting something going, they're also trying to involve Marshall with the battle for West Virginia.

Boise and Fresno is an annual awesome matchup for WAC supremacy.

I agree totally with the Clemson/South Carolina thing. They really hate eachother.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:05 pm

Boise and Fresno aren't out of conference, come on Eric!

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:19 pm

VT and WVU don't play each other any more...sadly..

ND just announced a few months ago that they were dropping BC..sadly

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:40 pm

Notre Dame/USC

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:29 pm

billybud wrote:VT and WVU don't play each other any more...sadly..

ND just announced a few months ago that they were dropping BC..sadly
They don't? They played each other last year. Maybe it's the fallout from the Big East, and ACC, restructuring.

Notre Dame I think should keep their rivalry going with Boston College.

I had hoped B.C. might remain a Big East representative for that very reason. Notre Dame, I think is taking the wrong approach, scheduling teams that really have little 'connection' with them, historically, but I think it's kind of cool they will be playing Army.

I love traditional pairings of teams, regardless of where they occur.

One you guys forgot, Miami (OH) vs, Cincinnati. That's one of the longest-standing rivalries in all of college football, believe it or not.

Another one, is Tulane & LSU. Tulane, believe it or not, was pretty good, turn of the century (19th & 20th). Tha'ts sort of what I was getting at in a round-about way. Tulane does have a proud tradition, you just have to look a little harder to find it, is all. And tradition matters.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:43 pm

colorado_loves_football wrote:Another one, is Tulane & LSU. Tulane, believe it or not, was pretty good, turn of the century (19th & 20th). Tha'ts sort of what I was getting at in a round-about way. Tulane does have a proud tradition, you just have to look a little harder to find it, is all. And tradition matters.

Sorry, Tulane is off limits in this forum. Not my rule, but we need to stick to it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:46 pm

One you guys forgot, Miami (OH) vs, Cincinnati. That's one of the longest-standing rivalries in all of college football, believe it or not.

Miami is the "cradle of coaching"
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:05 pm

I was going to mention the Bearcats and Redhawks. Their rivalry is usually a good one. I think they play for the Victory Bell or something in that nature?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Just what is it about the midwest? Why do so many schools pass a trinket back and forth to the winner as a traveling trophy? What's up with that? Down here in the south, you play for pride (or money).

Illinois-Northwestern (Sweet Sioux Tomahawk)
Purdue-Indiana (Old Oaken Bucket)
Indiana-Michigan State (Old Brass Spittoon)
Iowa-Minnesota (Floyd of Rosedale) (a bronze pig)
Iowa-Wisconsin (Heartland Trophy)
Wisconsin-Minnesota (Paul Bunyan's Axe)
Michigan-Michigan State (Paul Bunyan Trophy)
Michigan-Minnesota (Little Brown Jug)
Illinois-Ohio State (Illibuck)
Illinois-Purdue (Purdue Cannon)
Penn State-Minnesota (Governor's Victory Bell)
Penn State-Michigan State (Land Grant Trophy)
Michigan-Ohio State (No trophy) DOES THAT TELL YA SOMETHING?

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:30 pm

billybud wrote:Just what is it about the midwest? Why do so many schools pass a trinket back and forth to the winner as a traveling trophy? What's up with that? Down here in the south, you play for pride (or money).

It's because the midwest has a football tradition. In the south, who cares?

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:37 pm

I must say that the rivalries have some odd names here in Big 10 country. We play for pigs, turtles, an axe, little brown jugs, spitoons, and old oaken buckets. I find most of these names amusing though! :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:42 pm

I couldn't imagine a competitive rivalry right now, I agree, David.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:50 pm

David wrote:
http://tulanegreenwave.cstv.com/sports/ ... 05aab.html

Tradition only matters to me and others her if you build upon it. Most of don't care about how good a team was fifty or more years ago and trying to relate that to how a team so be considered good now. Come on this is the 21st century.

You sure make a lot of sense.

You don't think I'm aware this is 2006? Wasn't aware the rivalry was being renewed, thanks for the info. Go Green Wave!

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:53 pm

I guess I don't get what you're saying. He's saying that anything that happened that long ago is kind of irrelevant when talking about the situation today. It is indeed the 21st century.

Return to “General Discussion”