Just heard about OSU WR/Punter Gentry...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:28 pm

Ouch.

I will be praying for him fervently too.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:39 pm

Prayers from all of us in the Mountaineer Nation.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:11 pm

He underwent his second surgery either yesterday or today. Word was everything went well and now it is a wait and see thing. While the hitting in practice has been intense all spring, with 9 spots open on defense, they said that thiss hit wasn't especially hard. It was just on one of those things where he landed on his head going over the middle.

Tyson's dad, Bob, played for Ohio State. Tyson walked on at Ohio State as a punter. The coaches say some ability in him and let him tryout as a receiver. It just goes to show you that you never know what is around the corner. Although his football days are done, I hope the were able to repair the damage so that he may walk again. Unconfirmed reports were that, today, he had some feeling. Hopefully that is true and is on his way back.

He can use all the prayers that he can get. Thanks guys.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:36 pm

Updates on Tyson's situation are very scarce. This tells you pretty much everything that is out there. Not even the players fully know what is going on.

Ohio State's spring camp took a somber turn last Friday when walk-on receiver Tyson Gentry suffered a debilitating, seemingly freakish spinal injury while being tackled after catching a pass over the middle.

Practice was canceled early after the third-year sophomore from Sandusky, Ohio, lay motionless on the field for nearly 20 minutes following a routine hit from behind by freshman cornerback Kurt Coleman.

Gentry was taken to Ohio State's University Medical Center, where he is currently in recovery following two surgeries. As of Tuesday, the school had declined to release the specifics of his condition, but the Columbus Dispatch reported his injury to be a shattered cervical vertebra. The player's father said in a statement that his son was "alert and in good spirits."

Head coach Jim Tressel has visited Gentry in the hospital, but others outside Gentry's family are being discouraged for now due to Gentry's risk of infection following the surgeries.

Buckeyes quarterback Troy Smith said Tuesday he was shaken by the incident. "I watched him come off the ball, cut across the middle, catch it and fall awkwardly to the turf. It seemed like a routine play," said Smith. "I want to go and visit him so badly, but I can't."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:18 am

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:34 am

News is scarce and I read where that is at the request of his family. We and especially the media, need to respect that.

Thanks for the update, Spence. Please keep us posted as this unfolds. That's some good news about the spine being bruised as opposed to severed.

Thoughts and prayers.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:35 pm

Tressel on Gentry:

Gentry has been relocated to Dodd Hall, a rehabilitation facility on the OSU campus.

“I saw him two days ago,â€Â

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:38 pm

:D

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:13 am

Bob and Gloria Gentry, the parents of injured Ohio State football player, Tyson Gentry, issued the following statement Friday evening:

“First of all, we want to thank the entire Buckeye Nation for an unbelievable outpouring of support. The cards, letters and care packages that Ty has received have been very uplifting for him. Specifically, our family wants to thank Coach Jim Tressel and his coaching staff, along with the medical and training staff, for all that they have done.

“Ty has been moved to Dodd Hall where he is undergoing a rigorous rehabilitation program. Our family takes great comfort in knowing that he is in the care of a wonderful team of therapists. Ty is able to move his arms and there are some other signs that are encouraging. But we know this is a long, difficult recovery process and we literally have to take it one day at a time.

“As this process continues, we ask everyone to keep Ty in their thoughts and prayers.â€Â

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:42 pm

“As this process continues, we ask everyone to keep Ty in their thoughts and prayers.â€Â

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:33 pm

Good news Gentry moved his toe today.

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/578344.html

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:36 pm

Outstanding news. :D

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:40 pm

Seconded.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:09 am

OMG, I thought another OSU player had gone down. Then I looked at the article, and was like the names so familiar, and that face looks familiar too. I looked at the date, April 2006.

Good News, bad delivery. :(

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:16 am

Yeah this is an old thread, but the news is new. He just moved the toe this week. It is a shame about him. He is a walk on player that actually had a chance before that happened. Gentry has been in the chair since the spring game. Hopefully the news means that he will be able to walk again one day.

Return to “General Discussion”