Spence, Look at These!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Spence, Look at These!

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Is Ohio State seriously going through with these?

MOD EDIT: Edited to respect bandwidth. Image was of the new Ohio State Jersey.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:24 pm

That is kind of a sore subject here in Buckeye land. The biggest problem most of us have with it is the absence of grey. We have had black and white stripes before, though, these are a lot like the uniforms from the 80's during Earle Bruce's time.

They are billed as breathing better and harder to grab hold of, so if they work I can probably live with them. At least they aren't neon like Oregon's unies.

Imagine the current #7 with a uniform that is harder to grab hold of.....that could be sweet.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:36 pm

why the absence of gray ?

that is what everyone in Ohio wants to know. I guess because Nike deemed these to be more marketable then the gray stripes. Which I don't understand because Ohio State doesn't really have a problem with merchandising. That pants are still grey, although they are shiny grey. :x

Some would say that if this is what we have to complain about we aren't in very bad shape. :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Hopefully, the grey will show up in the helmets and the pants. The scarlet and gray of the Buckeyes strikes fear in some, anticipation in others, but it will make a Michigan fan get the heaves. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Nike did the same thing with Michigan last year. They did the better circulation/harder to grab onto thing with Michigan's uniforms but they didn't change the complexion of the uniform. Nike did tinker around with the road uniforms because they did the shoulder stripes and smaller numbers differently but I really liked those ones.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Hopefully, the grey will show up in the helmets and the pants. The scarlet and gray of the Buckeyes strikes fear in some, anticipation in others, but it will make a Michigan fan get the heaves.

One can only hope. :lol: We still have a way to go to catch up in the series. Those early years were killers for Ohio State and then just when we were starting to make up some ground, along can John Cooper. :evil: :evil:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:29 pm

rolltide wrote:If they mess with Alabama's uniforms, I will raise heck.

I dont see why they have the right to do anything outside of the schools permission...

I missed the silver britchs that the dawgs use to wear.

Dont know if Nike had anything to do with it or not, but it SHOULD be up to the school.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:49 pm

nike is the devil :twisted:

they changed the way our numbers looked one year, they looked all balloony and frilly, thankfully it didn't last long
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:14 pm

I dont see why they have the right to do anything outside of the schools permission...

I missed the silver britchs that the dawgs use to wear.

Dont know if Nike had anything to do with it or not, but it SHOULD be up to the school.

They don't do it without the school's permission. They make several jerseys and the school picks the one they want. In Ohio State's case the fans are the ones throwing a fit. Personally I don't much care. I would pick the grey stripes if it were me, but as long as the guys who wear them do a good job I don't think it matters. I am one of the few though.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:18 pm

This is from one of my best friends, an avid Bucks fan:

Mr. Hof,

I do not know if you are the apropriate person to contact on this matter, if not, please direct me to the proper place and time to express my opinion. As a long time Buckeye fan, I feel that the football team's new jerseys are not a good idea. To me this change is a perfect example of fixing something that wasn't broken. After comparing photos side by side of the new Ohio State jerseys and those of conference opponent Wisconsin, I came to the conclusion that the jerseys look remarkably similar. I realize that this change is only superficial, but I feel that it does take away from the game day experience for life long Buckeye fans such as myself. I personally will not be purchasing any Ohio State football merchandise as long as the team wears these jerseys.

Thank you for your time,

Kevin Wahl

He actually got a response:

Dear Mr. Wahl,

Thank you for your email regarding our football jerseys. As you might imagine, anytime you do something new there is mixed reaction. Such has been the case with the new jersey. Some reactions have been positive, some negative. A couple of important things to remember: the material, which is the very latest from a technology standpoint, is lighter and keeps the players cooler in the heat (could be really important at Texas) and drier in the moisture; and it is a pro-cut, which means it is more of a fitted jersey (which the players also like). As you may have read today in the Columbus Dispatch, there have been several variations of the jersey over the years. As a matter of fact, this jersey is exactly the same as the one worn by our 1984 team which is the last Ohio State team to win an outright Big Ten championship. By the way, there is gray in the away jersey stripe. But with the home jersey, the attempt was to match the helmet! stripe with the stripe on the pants and now on the jersey. Also, the jersey sleeve is much smaller, so when we put the TV numbers back on the shoulders, it greatly reduced the space.

Hope that gives you a little insight

Best wishes and Go Bucks!

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:10 am

Judging by the response Mr. Wahl received the decision has been made.

These designer guys apparently don't give much weight to the traditions or superstitions that surround the game of college football. Those feeling and perceptions can be problematic when change comes along. :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:00 am

Buckeye fans are just taking this overboard. It is one thing to voice displeasure and another to completely lose control over the new uniforms. We just lost 9 guys on defense, six guys that started for Ohio State will be 1st day draft picks, and we are worried about how a black stripe is going to destroy our mojo. :roll:

Fan - Fanatics - We are the true definition of the word. It can be embarrassing at times. :?

Woody wore a black hat with a scarlet block "O" on it. I don't think anyone told the old man that was going against tradition. (at least to his face, no one would dare!)

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:11 pm

Oregon auditioned, was it 7 total uniforms last year? They went with all yellow, all white, all green, white on black, white on green, etc.

I can't keep track of them all. They should stick with the all green uniforms; at least those are somewhat normal looking!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:27 pm

How do you recruit it you are Oregon. " Come and wear the ugliest uniform on the planet" and just when you think it can't get any worse, boom, they change to an uglier one.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:36 pm

I guess it's just me, but I do like the green ones. These are downright nasty:

MOD EDIT: Edited to respect bandwidth, Images were of Oregon uniforms

What is the deal with these?

Return to “General Discussion”