USC over the rose bowl loss to texas. moving on!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:20 pm

" They lost after some national network wondered aloud, and incessantly, whether they were the best team ever"

At least Ivan see's the folly of all their crap.....What he didnt mention was how people, like me and countless others, cheered for Texas not because I dont like USC or because they are a GA Rival because they are not. But because that's all we heard on that unnamed network for 2 months.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:55 am

:? ain't that the truth!
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:07 pm

I don't think Auburn thinks they are better than USC. haha. I don't think Alabama is better than USC either. I do think Alabama is better than most of the PAC-10, but not all. But I also think they are better than most of the SEC. They are at least top 1/2 SEC.

I like the shot at Auburn. True Bama fan. :lol:

Overall, I think the SEC is the best conference. They may not have the best team, but as a group they are the strongest overall. USC clearly is an elite team in the nation. At least a top 5 team since 2002.

There is a notion that the PAC-10 is a weaker conference around the nation. I believe that the difference between the best and the worst out of the majors are pretty close.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:15 pm

Rich wrote:let me make it clear that i am talking about georgia fans. i havnt lived in the other states, but i suspect its the same in those states.

:lol: :lol:

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:19 pm

Rich wrote:in your case derek, i think its jealousy. USC has been what you and other georgian fans think your teams deserves to be. thats my take. it is because you dont like USC. sec fans only thing in life is to believe that their conf is better then the pac 10, and when this doesnt pan out, they react by hating that pac 10 team. seen it happen to many times.

I dont think you really understand what I was saying. :lol:

Im not knocking USC's ability, im knocking the people that covered them, and it being the reason I dont watch that network anymore. Unless they are showing a game that I want to watch, that's the only time.

I dont watch their commentary or anything else.

I heard this from MANY people, not just Georgia fans. The coverage was WAY overboard. It has nothing to do with me "Hating" USC or thinking that they are not a good team.

SO your argument does not stand up to scrutiny.

I cheered for Texas, simply because I wanted ESPN to be proved wrong.

- John Madden

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Like a true Reggie Bush fan, cheating to get more points, that's fine Rich, watch this:

Rich said:
Rose Bowl loss to Texas all but forgotten by USC
By Ivan Maisel
ESPN.com
Archive

LOS ANGELES -- So where are the grief counselors? The hollow-eyed looks? What happened to lying awake at nights, counting how many times Vince Young jumped over their beds?

It didn't take long for USC and Pete Carroll to get over Texas. It has been three months since the USC Trojans lost the chance to win a third consecutive national championship, three months since they lost after 34 straight victories. They lost a game they had been expected to win. They lost with 19 seconds to play. They lost after some national network wondered aloud, and incessantly, whether they were the best team ever.

It wasn't just that USC lost 41-38 to Texas in the BCS Championship Game. It was the way it lost. No one put more athletic talent on the field than the Trojans -- that is, until Young made Southern California look like a directional school. The Longhorns' quarterback threw for 267 yards, rushed for 200 yards and broke about 200 tackles.

USC had a 12-point lead with 4:04 to play. It had a five-point lead with 20 seconds to play. Twenty seconds, not even the length of a Dick Vitale sentence. And with one Young stutter step, it all vanished in the right front corner of the end zone.

The Trojans had history in their hands, and they let it slip through. A victory in the Rose Bowl would have raised the possibility of a challenge to Oklahoma's record of 47 consecutive victories, the Holy Grail of college football records.

That's the kind of loss that would stick with most people. After Penn State lost to Alabama, 14-7, in the 1979 Sugar Bowl, Nittany Lions coach Joe Paterno blew the following season while mourning the loss.

"I have talked about getting angry with myself when I lose. Nothing of the kind ever compared to this loss," Paterno wrote in his 1989 autobiography. "I beat up on myself not only immediately but for months afterward, halfway into the next season."

Lose a game like that, and the coaches are liable to remind you for the next eight months. Coaches have been known to post losing scores in the weight room as a motivational ploy. They want their team to be so sick about what happened that the players will do whatever it takes to get that darn score out of their heads.

It doesn't take long to figure out the toll the Rose Bowl loss took on USC. You don't have to be around the returning Trojans very long to measure it. Watching one spring practice at Howard Jones Field lays it out.

Nothing.

Not a trace.

“ To me, I think the mark of a great championship player, or a great championship program, is the ability to continue to show who you are and not be affected by what's going on around you, or in the past, or what you're heading into.â€Â

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:29 pm

wow, I got $70 for that post, hmmm, Rich, I'm on to you!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:53 pm

Lets take it easy on the copy and paste thing guys.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:27 am

hehehe, I had to Spence

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:22 am

Not a problem because it was a joke, but I just didn't want it to get out of hand.

Return to “General Discussion”