Mid-Majors vs. Majors

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:33 am

billybud wrote:Tulane is soooo baaad...that the Green Wave would have been given points against IAA Richmond, New Hampshire, James Madison, Massachusetts, Portland State, Hofstra...freakin' HOFSTRA...(all rated as more powerful than Tulane).

What's wrong with Hofstra? They have a pretty good team. Regardless, Sagarin aside, I don't think Tulane would have gotten points from them.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:52 am

Nothing is "wrong" with Hofstra...But how do you think Hofstra would have done in the ACC or Big Ten? Hofstra lost last year to James Madison (by 31 points), Furman, and University of New Hampshire....I suspect that TCU might win a couple more games in the ACC or Big Ten than Hofstra.

I agree that I wouldn't take Hofstra straight up against TCU...but, then again, I wouldn't take TCU straight up against any team in the BCS bowls...Texas, USC, Penn St, FSU, West Va, Georgia, Ohio St., Notre Dame...nor do I think that TCU/Hofstra could win in some of the lesser bowls against Virginia Tech, Louisville, Wisconsin, Auburn, and the like....

TCU, while not a bad team, hasn't shown that they are BCS bowl caliber.
Hofstra, while not a truly horrible team, hasn't yet improved to be on the level with the worst teams in the Big Ten, ACC, PAC-10, etc.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:23 am

billybud wrote:Nothing is "wrong" with Hofstra...But how do you think Hofstra would have done in the ACC or Big Ten? Hofstra lost last year to James Madison (by 31 points), Furman, and University of New Hampshire....I suspect that TCU might win a couple more games in the ACC or Big Ten than Hofstra.

????? Of course Hofstra is not on the level of BCS teams, but you act as if they are some lower end teams. Give me a break. BTW, if we discredit every team that lost by 30 points or so, does that mean Florida State is a lower end teams as well?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:47 am

LOL...it's WHO you lose by 30 points to....Yep..the day FSU loses to James Madison by 30, I stipulate that they are a lower end team.

Please, please telll me those BCS conference teams who have recently lost to James Madison by 30.....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:30 am

Look...I don't thump my chest over FSU beating Tulane by 30 or more points every time they have played the Green Wave since 1980( 4X) or that the last game was FSU 70-7...Tulane just isn't competition and FSU should win big...(ditto against the James Madison's and Hofstra's of the world).

My only point being...that in national competition a team is compared against all IA teams...not just those in their particular cohort.

(MODERATOR NOTICE: Due to the nature of this post, the content has been edited.)

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:05 pm

billybud wrote:LOL...it's WHO you lose by 30 points to....Yep..the day FSU loses to James Madison by 30, I stipulate that they are a lower end team.

Please, please telll me those BCS conference teams who have recently lost to James Madison by 30.....

The issue was never BCS vs. I-AA. BCS is better, but you were comparing I-AA teams to I-AA. Same level. Florida State lost by 30 to a team at the same level. Does that make them a lower end team? Of course not.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:46 pm

The issue has always been the better BCS vs the better mid majors...that is the issue that I have been discussing...

Your comment that Hofstra isn't bad was framed in your reference, not mine...my reference has always been in comparison to BCS teams...

My point was that Hofstra wasn't a killer in its own cohort...much less in a tougher one....

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:28 pm

billybud wrote:The issue has always been the better BCS vs the better mid majors...that is the issue that I have been discussing...

Your comment that Hofstra isn't bad was framed in your reference, not mine...my reference has always been in comparison to BCS teams...

My point was that Hofstra wasn't a killer in its own cohort...much less in a tougher one....

You listed a bunch of I-AA teams and then said "freaking" Hofstra all in comparison to Tulane. All those teams are about on the same level. As for mid-majors vs. BCS, look at those facts in the original post. There's no comparison. Either you accept that mid-majors are a level down or you are just denying reality.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:17 pm

HUH?? Of course the mid majors are a level down....and some mid majors like Tulane aren't far from Hofstra....that was my point.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:20 pm

billybud wrote:HUH?? Of course the mid majors are a level down....and some mid majors like Tulane aren't far from Hofstra....that was my point.

Never disputed that. I didn't think you should be running down Hofstra in comparison to other I-AA teams.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:40 pm

I reported a fact...that Hofstra lost to James Madison by 30 points....Hofstra was similar in strength to Tulane.....I found it ludicrous to call Tulane an "excellent" football team (the inference being that James Madison might have given Tulane all they wanted). I am not running down Hofstra, I am saying that it is "freakin'" ridiculous to say that Tulane is an excellent IA football team.

I see the mods won't let me talk about the methodology of "norming" when you have disparate groups...(I did research for USDOL on norming the General Aptitude Test Battery at one point in my career)....well, since the subject is taboo...I shan't discuss it.
Last edited by billybud on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:43 pm

billybud wrote:I reported a fact...that Hofstra lost to James Madison by 30 points....Hofstra was similar in strength to Tulane.....I found it ludicrous to call Tulane an "excellent" football team (the inference being that James Madison might have given Tulane all they wanted). I am not running down Hofstra, I am saying that it is "freakin'" ridiculous to say that Tulane is an excellent IA football team.

It is silly to say Tulane is an excellent team. You aren't arguing with CLF, are you? You haven't figure it out that that is pointless?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:47 pm

LOL...that is what this whole thread has been about...

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:10 pm

billybud wrote:LOL...that is what this whole thread has been about...

Tulane being a great team? Naw, I started this thread and if that is what it were about I'd know. :)

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:11 pm

TULANE IS OUTSTANDING???( :roll: :shock: )???

Wow. This team was pitiful!!! I know they had to deal with the Katrina disaster, and I feel bad for them, but when talking strictly football, they can't get respect for their play!

I think Jason G was referring to other mid-majors as not recieving respect. Right?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Return to “General Discussion”