The Draft

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

should vince young think about playing another position?

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes: 6

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:46 pm

I think you are right about Young not being a QB. I don't think his talent level is up to par with the NFL. I think he will be a good player at the NFL level. He could play reciever, TB, He could maybe grow into a TE(I think this would be his best position), or a rush end on defense.

I'm not sure about Leinart either at the pro level. I think he has the head for it, but I'm not sure about the physical tools. He doesn't scream front line QB to me in the NFL. Of couse neither did Joe Montana coming out of ND. I guess we will see.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:15 pm

I just want you to know, I heard this exact same argument after the OU game last year when Texas lost. That VY needs to play receiver and he can't play QB at the college level.

He'll prove you two wrong. And yeah, everyone throws rocks at the guy up on a pedestal, and that's been VY since the Rose Bowl. I hope his stock falls, he'll go to a better team. And every coach that passed up on him will be fired for letting the best player of all time to slip through their fingers.

Those weren't busted plays Riche. USC didn't respect him and ran a crappy defensive scheme. What an idiot would call a defense that has the defensive end have RB coverage? On the last play of the game?

You can trash Vince all you want, which is counter-productive, because it just makes USC look bad, to get beaten by a guy that's a bad QB.

USC had better athletes, but we had a better team.

You heard it here first, Vince Young is All-Pro his second year in the league.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:02 pm

I'm not trashing Vince Young, I like his toughness. When Bobby Carpenter hammered him the whole game(Ohio State) he kept getting back up. He took a huge amount of punishment in that game and kept going. I like him a lot. I just don't think QB is his natual position in the NFL. If I turn out to be wrong I will eat those words. I do not wish him bad.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Oh, I absolutely agree that VY would be an amazing WR, no doubt. But he needs to be the center of the huddle. He's said that he is only willing to play QB.

Here's why his arm is dangerous:

A) The rush will not be as vertical, the ends will have to stay home, making his offensive lineman's job a lot easier

B) When he's scrambling, he's not looking for the running lane, he's looking for the open receiver.

C) He can see over the Offensive Lineman easily.

D) He can throw the ball 70 yards in the air on a rope.

E) He's calm, he doesn't get flustered when there is pressure on him.

F) If he get's intercepted, they are NOT taking it for 6, he's the fastest man on the field at all times. There might be quicker, but not faster.

E) He's coachable, he spends a lot of time in the film room.

F) He still has only tapped 10% of his passing potential. Matt Leinart won't get any better. Vince Young gets better every single time he steps onto the field.

G) All anyone talks about is his legs, which gives people the idea he can't throw.

H) He's a competitor. No man has ever brought it to the next level when it counted like he did two years in a row in the Rose Bowl.

Keep draggin him down folks, hopefully he'll fall to the Cardinals.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:43 pm

E) He's calm, he doesn't get flustered when there is pressure on him.

He truely is that. That is his greatest asset. Will find out, but everyone in the NFL is good. Even the guys who suck are good. I hope he does do well. He seems like a good kid and he has a good story. I just will have to wait and find out.

I feel the same way about Bush. If he is made a receiver, I think he'll do well. If he tries to make it as a TB(Not a scatback) I don't think he will last very long.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:50 pm

my vote is tight end
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:52 pm

:lol: :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:19 am

i say VY is a qb . consider some of the guys who play qb in the nfl . joey harrington, kyle boller, jamie martin, brooks bollinger , what i'm getting at is i'd rather have a raw/inexperienced VY at qb than an aforementioned dud.

i see VY being more like dante culpepper, donovan mcnabb .

if i'm drafting and i need a qb - i take him . no doubt .

The difference is that they say young isn't as coachable. You can't get away with sandlot plays in the NFL.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:35 am

He always has his fall back profession, presidential speech writer!

"Uh, uh, uh, uh, Weapons of Mass Destruction, uh, uh, we need to get another W, as in George Dubya, uh, that uh, would be a good W, I, uh, just uh, feel like I, uh, disappointed my family and uh, forgive uh, I uh, forgot my suit, uh, some uh, my uh, my uncle's cousin's, uh, wife, uh, her uh, 3rd grade, uh teacher is uh, going to uh, call her friend, and uh, I'm going to hire uh, her as the uh, tutor, I mean, maybe an agent/tutor. Uh, that's all, uh, texas 2 step."
"read my lips no new taxes"

And VY would be the best on any position out there.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:37 pm

He always has his fall back profession, presidential speech writer!

"Uh, uh, uh, uh, Weapons of Mass Destruction, uh, uh, we need to get another W, as in George Dubya, uh, that uh, would be a good W, I, uh, just uh, feel like I, uh, disappointed my family and uh, forgive uh, I uh, forgot my suit, uh, some uh, my uh, my uncle's cousin's, uh, wife, uh, her uh, 3rd grade, uh teacher is uh, going to uh, call her friend, and uh, I'm going to hire uh, her as the uh, tutor, I mean, maybe an agent/tutor. Uh, that's all, uh, texas 2 step."

He will make more money in the NFL. :lol:

I'm not arguing VY's athletic ability. He is a great athlete. Just that QB may not be the best position for him. Just like TB isn't the best position for Reggie Bush in the NFL. Both are amazing athletes and great athletes can play many positions in college football. In the NFL everyone is amazing. I wish VY and Bush good luck in the NFL and hope they both do well.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:08 am

irish88 wrote:i say VY is a qb . consider some of the guys who play qb in the nfl . joey harrington, kyle boller, jamie martin, brooks bollinger , what i'm getting at is i'd rather have a raw/inexperienced VY at qb than an aforementioned dud.

i see VY being more like dante culpepper, donovan mcnabb .

if i'm drafting and i need a qb - i take him . no doubt .

I dont disagree with you, but I think he will do better than they did. Cause they never impressed me very much at all.

Especially Dante Culpepper.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:09 am

Yeofoot wrote:He always has his fall back profession, presidential speech writer!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:16 am

Yeofoot, check this out.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9329181/rss

Looks like I was wrong.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:59 am

The man's a competitor. I'm extremely surprised that they have him running a 4.57. That's almost what I ran in college, and there is no way that I'd be within 10 yards of him running the forty. Also, it's funny, that he is actually 6'4 and 5/8, seeing as how he's always about two inches taller than people listed at 6'4".

Another reason his best position is QB, he shines so much when he's the center of attention.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:59 pm

Yeofoot wrote:The man's a competitor. I'm extremely surprised that they have him running a 4.57. That's almost what I ran in college, and there is no way that I'd be within 10 yards of him running the forty. Also, it's funny, that he is actually 6'4 and 5/8, seeing as how he's always about two inches taller than people listed at 6'4".

Another reason his best position is QB, he shines so much when he's the center of attention.

He might have been running on a slow track. A.J. Hawk ran a 4.38 at the Ohio State pro day. The scouts were drooling.

Return to “General Discussion”