OOC Games: 2007

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Which OOC Game is Most Appealing to You?

Tennessee @ Cal
6%
TCU @ Texas
11%
Virginia Tech @ LSU
22%
Miami @ Oklahoma
6%
South Florida @ Auburn
22%
Notre Dame @ Michigan
6%
USC @ Nebraska
No votes
Alabama vs. Florida State (in Jacksonville)
11%
Other
17%

Total votes: 18

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:00 pm

The MAC programs can do what sometimes happens at a less competitive program...you get a great QB and a good receiver or two and a program moves up a notch for a while..Marshall with Chad Pennington and Randy Moss or UCF with Dante Culpepper...and then when they leave, the program drops back to its normal station. The improvement is an anomaly and only a short term phenomenon. The programs do not have the engines that allow for long term competitiveness.

Like Wake Forest's competitiveness this year, an anomaly...but Wake won't be a top ACC team year in and out...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:59 pm

Georgia played Marshall in 2004 and gave us a scare. They were not whipping boys.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:17 pm

Marshall only scored three points on Georgia...It might provide a little scare if a team plays "off" but Marshall is not competitive with the Big Ten nor SEC...Wyoming gave Georgia more of a scare as did UAB in their 13-16 loss.

Marshall, and teams like them, look good when you play down to their level...the game looks close but is never really in danger of being lost.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:41 pm

billybud wrote:you play down to their level....

I've heard folks use this phrase before .... never really understood what it means .... can anybody define this for me and help my hillbilly self comprehend just what in the dickens this is, how does it happen and just how one determines when it has happened? :? :roll: :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Does one team play down to anothers level or does the underdog play up to the favorite's level.

******************Time to ponder********************* :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:28 am

The yen of football......
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:52 am

billybud wrote:Marshall only scored three points on Georgia...It might provide a little scare if a team plays "off" but Marshall is not competitive with the Big Ten nor SEC...Wyoming gave Georgia more of a scare as did UAB in their 13-16 loss.

Marshall, and teams like them, look good when you play down to their level...the game looks close but is never really in danger of being lost.

Yes, that's true. But from what I remember of the game, at least the first half maybe, There was some doubt as to whether Georgia was gonna show up or not.

AND, the Georgia team of 2004 was WAY better than last years team.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:47 am

Mountainman...I don't know if you are being passive aggressive, as I suspect, or really do not understand the concept of "playing down" to an opponent.

But I'll take you at face value...so I'll try a quick stab at it..

Football is an emotional game....teams can get "up" for only so many games and opponents...a 20 point underdog that has about a zero chance of beating you is difficult to get up for...a team sometimes sleep walks through this type of game. In fact, the game needs to get a little competitive before any fire can be built..

This is compounded by the good team resting its stars and starters to give the third string some playing time (which lowers the level closer to the underdog). Often, teams will hold back on the offensive and defensive playbooks so as not to give the next opponent much to look at.

Examples of this would be...FSU in 2005 beating VT and playing Penn State to triple OT after playing really down to lesser teams...or this past year with FSU playing Florida within 7 with a real chance in the 4th qtr...while losing to an awful NC State.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:34 pm

I like these interconference matches...good for KSU and Auburn..

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:03 pm

Examples of this would be...FSU in 2005 beating VT and playing Penn State to triple OT after playing really down to lesser teams...or this past year with FSU playing Florida within 7 with a real chance in the 4th qtr...while losing to an awful NC State.

Playing down? I think FSU was not that great this year, so they could not afford to "play down" to anybody :?

Did you ever consider that maybe Florida was playing down to your 'Noles?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:26 pm

See..you understand the concept! Like FSU waiting until late to beat WVU by double digits...it happens often...maybe WVU being even with GT for a long while is the same phenom..

I thought your response was being passive aggressive....you get that way with some of my posts..

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:52 pm

I'm confused by your post, I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. Could you clarify?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:29 am

mountainman wrote:
billybud wrote:you play down to their level....

I've heard folks use this phrase before .... never really understood what it means .... can anybody define this for me and help my hillbilly self comprehend just what in the dickens this is, how does it happen and just how one determines when it has happened? :? :roll: :?

billybud wrote:Mountainman...I don't know if you are being passive aggressive, as I suspect, or really do not understand the concept of "playing down" to an opponent.

But I'll take you at face value...so I'll try a quick stab at it..

Football is an emotional game....teams can get "up" for only so many games and opponents...a 20 point underdog that has about a zero chance of beating you is difficult to get up for...a team sometimes sleep walks through this type of game. In fact, the game needs to get a little competitive before any fire can be built..

This is compounded by the good team resting its stars and starters to give the third string some playing time (which lowers the level closer to the underdog). Often, teams will hold back on the offensive and defensive playbooks so as not to give the next opponent much to look at.

billybud, as I said before, your suspicions are your own, to deal with as you see fit. Cannot help you there.

I am pleased you chose to take my post at face value, while perplexed as to why you would conjure up a notion of 'passive aggressive' that I can only assume is put forth to suggest that because you have a suspicion therefore it's real ....... suspicions and illusions are just that and are not reflections of reality. The only thing that is real is the suspicion itself.

Thanks for taking a stab at it, but your attempt has brought me no closer to defining or understanding what 'playing down to their level' means. To me, in the context of a college football game, it sounds similar to one of those non-defined, unintelligible terms or phrases used as an attempt to give reason for a performance or event that was not anticipated, expected or understood.

Just so you'll know, as I said, I've heard folks use that expression before and I've asked them what it means and to define it ...... nothing of any substance has surfaced yet, just ramblings. :lol:

There could be an upside though .... it may have help some else. :wink:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:31 am

"play down to" is like many other colloquialisms that are more common in conversation than in formal speech or writing. They are used all the time. 'play down to' is a very common one.

Seems to me...if you choose not to understand that phrase..so be it...a lot of people under the guise of not understanding, try to make a statement.....so if you are making some statement that it is not possible to play down to..or that phrase is not possible...then just say so and quit beating around the bush...but if you believe that no one can define this phrase...then I think that says more about the receiver than the transmitter. There are phrases I do not like...I know what the intent is..but I do not believe the basis of the thought....one of mine is....He gave 110%. Can not happen..impossible...100% is all you can give....do not like the inflation factor.....I digress...does not mean I do not understand the intent.

Well...I hope my ramblings was not playing down to your understanding..I just gave it 110%.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:19 am

Geeeez, ask for a definition and you get a lecture on one hand and a justification on the other, but alas still no definition. :lol: :D :lol:

I'll take it under consideration .... but not for long. :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”