Coach's ratings from players

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Coach's ratings from players

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:06 am

This is a site someone told me about. It says the ratings are compiled by players with direct association with the coaches (whatever that means). It could take into account former players with an axe to grind, or recruits that didn't make it. I'm not sure what the criteria for picking the players is, but I wondered what you guys think of it.

http://www.coachratings.com/view_ratings_football.jsp

I would like to know a little more about it, have you guys ever heard about anything about this? This is purely what players thought about the coach, it has nothing to do with the coaches ability.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 am

I clicked the site and got the old page does not exist message.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:15 am

I fixed it. My bad for not testing it before I submitted it.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:37 am

I signed off and went to take a look. I see where Coach Rodriguez is not rated as high as some others, if fact pretty low when compaired to others. I also see where the number of "raters" was not at some threshold level.

Doesn't surprise me. He's a do right kind of guy and has had some discipline issues. He took a lot of heat for the Mountaineers disappointing season in '04. I believe it was unfounded though. Too many self acclaimed 'superstars' on that team and special teams play was awful. That team did not play to its potential and never did really come together.

Plus, he brought the spread offense and had some guys early on ('01, '02) in the program that were recruited to run the I-formation and became disgruntled and transferred, left, quit, etc. He made some enemies.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:43 am

I just saw how many players were part of the sample. Even if this is valid, and I don't know that it is, you can't get a fair sampling with less then a couple of hundred players. That would cut down on players having an axe to grind having an impact.

If this is valid they shouldn't have made it public until they got a fair sampling.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:54 am

Yep, that's a tough call. Time will take care of that though. Short term measurement I don't believe is a valid way to measure a coach.

I mean for goodness sake, there were people at Penn State that were ready to run Joe Pa off. Tressel took heat over Clarett right after he won the dag-gum national title, Pete Carroll was criticized for the Halloween stunt and this year's Rose Bowl, Mack Brown couldn't beat Oklahoma, Steve Spurrier was a ego-maniac, Tennessee is ready to lynch Phil Fulmer, list goes on and on.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:01 am

I don't think this is a valid way to measure a coaches ability to coach anyway. It really only measures the players opinion of the coach. How many coaches have you had that you didn't like at all? At least while you were playing for them. I don't think I liked any coach, that actually taught me anything, until years after I played for them.

I'm pretty sure Tressel's rating won't be as high if they would have polled Mo. Clarett or Louis Irazarry. :?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:05 am

That's a very good point, about measuring certain player's opinions, Spence.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:17 am

i wouldn't have expected lsu's coach to be rated so low, spurrier isn't on there.
seems silly to me. maybe if they get a whooollllle bunch of them to vote?
i wonder if they poll former players? dennis franchione can count on negative figures if they do :lol:
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:21 am

well, I noticed that the three of us on here that are the biggest fans of our coaches are the top 3 rated. That's not surprising.

Return to “General Discussion”