Thought Provoking Read………

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Thought Provoking Read………

Postby Mountainman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:43 pm

………. but I’m not sure about what to think. 8)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... er-portal/

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thought Provoking Read………

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:41 pm

I think when a player moves around like that he never learns a system or gets confortable enough playing in that system that it ruins his career. Whether or not it should or should not be legal, it is not something that is conducive to being the best player you can be. Maybe a 1 time transfer works, but the bouncing around doesn't work IMO.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:42 am

One thing rings clear…….. it’s obvious why the schools and the NCAA are adamant about players not becoming employees and the long term liabilities that would come with it.

:?

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:58 am

That is exactly why. They would have to provide a long term trail on benefits to cover themselves and that would be really expensive.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:03 pm

……….and who would be liable??? Would it be Southern Cal, Georgia, West Virginia, Rice or maybe his High School or maybe all of them????

This could get crazy……. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:47 pm

Mountainman wrote:……….and who would be liable??? Would it be Southern Cal, Georgia, West Virginia, Rice or maybe his High School or maybe all of them????

Not the high school. It was his choice to compete as an amatuer. But if they are considered employees and there fore come under workmans comp insurance and such, you have to pay a trail several years into the future to cover potential medical problems associated from the work they do. We have a gaseous diffusion plant near us. It is privately owned but contracted under the department of defense. When workers leave there, they have to pay like that for potential exposures that aren't apparent when they leave.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:30 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:……….and who would be liable??? Would it be Southern Cal, Georgia, West Virginia, Rice or maybe his High School or maybe all of them????

Not the high school. It was his choice to compete as an amatuer. But if they are considered employees and there fore come under workmans comp insurance and such, you have to pay a trail several years into the future to cover potential medical problems associated from the work they do. We have a gaseous diffusion plant near us. It is privately owned but contracted under the department of defense. When workers leave there, they have to pay like that for potential exposures that aren't apparent when they leave.

I believe College Football as we know it is in trouble……… With NIL, NIL Trusts, the Transfer Portal, the CFP, Super Conferences advocates, TV Networks advocating restructuring conferences and doing away with Bowls, the Congress of the USA along with the House of Representatives balking on issues surrounding the game (like players becoming employees and antitrust), the National Labor Relations Board, Courts of Law and more Lawyers than dog pecker gnats in July…… that’s a lot of Indians circling the NCAA Wagon Train…….. and I’ve yet to see a John Wayne hollering, “Fill your hand, you son of a jerk”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:11 pm

Oh, I agree. It is not only in trouble. I think the road to the end is in site.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:18 am

And I'm convinced this is why Saban has had enough. There are obviously many reasons, but he has been VERY vocal (perhaps the most vocal of all HC's) about his dislike of NIL, transfer portal, etc. Either way, Bama's hire was VERY quick so I'm sure he told them several weeks before the announcement.

I have no idea how it will all turn out, but I'm convinced that CFB is headed towards a minor league status in some way.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:05 pm

Spence wrote:Oh, I agree. It is not only in trouble. I think the road to the end is in site.

Seems you, Derek and me are on the same page

…,,.,,,, and College Football is traveling that road, while driving at a high rate of speed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-college-s ... 09460.html

8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 pm

Yep, they started something they couldn't control and the roads are getting icy.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:16 pm

Spence wrote:Yep, they started something they couldn't control and the roads are getting icy.

Corporate America, a.k.a. the TV guys have baited and bought these guys……..I’m waiting for the Boards of Regents, Boards of Governors, Board of Directors of these schools to get involved………. and tell these Athletic Directors and Conference Commissioners and CFP Committee guys to cool their jets, as they’re on the brink of exposing the schools to considerable legal and financial risk……….. my guess is they’re already involved to some degree and have send Charlie Baker as their emissary to delivery the message.

We’ll see…… 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Yep, they started something they couldn't control and the roads are getting icy.

Corporate America, a.k.a. the TV guys have baited and bought these guys……..I’m waiting for the Boards of Regents, Boards of Governors, Board of Directors of these schools to get involved………. and tell these Athletic Directors and Conference Commissioners and CFP Committee guys to cool their jets, as they’re on the brink of exposing the schools to considerable legal and financial risk……….. my guess is they’re already involved to some degree and have send Charlie Baker as their emissary to delivery the message.

We’ll see…… 8)

I think the Regents, BoG, and BoD's are up to their ears in this. They are the ones in charge of the NCAA and they could have controlled all of this several years ago and deffered to congress. That is like asking your 2 year old to babysit your 4 year old.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:00 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

We’ll see…… 8)

I think the Regents, BoG, and BoD's are up to their ears in this. They are the ones in charge of the NCAA and they could have controlled all of this several years ago and deffered to congress. That is like asking your 2 year old to babysit your 4 year old.

I figure you’re right……… they very well may be the most corrupt group in this whole thing. And the reason I say that is there’s no way they didn’t know what was going on AND most importantly they knew the legalities, risks and the potential consequences, and CHOSE TO turn a blind eye.

Someday someone will write a book about this…… and the title will be, ‘What Did You Expect, You Knew That Stupid Is What Stupid Does’

:roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Exactly. They wanted to put it all back in a bottle. It Ain't going back into a bottle.

Return to “General Discussion”