Georgia- Bama

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Georgia- Bama

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:01 pm

Looks like Nick Sabin never practiced for Auburn at all last week. He practiced two weeks for Georgia
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Georgia- Bama

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:52 am

Spence wrote:Looks like Nick Sabin never practiced for Auburn at all last week. He practiced two weeks for Georgia

Well, we have 3 undefeated teams + Texas + Alabama + Georgia

And the people who will claim OSU should be in, because of where they were ranked coming into the week.

The latter is only justifiable by the close loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor.

The justifiable drop in rank would be to say, the Buckeyes did not play in this Championship week, and all of the other teams did.

Personally, I believe the 3 unbeatens should be in. The games on the field have to mean something. Otherwise, why even play Conference Title games, and not just have the extended playoff now?

Give me:
Washington
Michigan
FSU
Texas

I know the arguments. How can you leave the SEC Champ out?

But, that is why the games should matter. Because had Georgia won the SEC, the SEC Champion would be in. Since Alabama lost to Texas in Tuscaloosa, the Longhorns should be in.

There should be as much of a consequence for losing, as there is a reward for winning.

The unfortunate thing, is this will of course give the unbalanced 12 team playoff apologists talking points for the entire off season.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:38 am

I am with you with Washington, FSU, and Michigan. I would finish with Alabama. Yes, Texas beat them in week one, but it was week one. If they would have beat them 3 weeks ago, then I would be all in for Texas, but not week one.

The hard part is dropping Georgia out. From 1st to 5th for losing to a top 10 team? I guess Ohio a state went from 2 to 6.
If it doesn’t finish like that it could be Michigan, Washington, Alabama, and Georgia. Could they legitimately leave FSU out? They could, it would be wrong. Florida State plays in a power 5 conference they went undefeated, they should be in. I don’t agree with Herbstreit that you should put the “best four team” in regardless of what happens on the field. That is stupid. I like Herby, but that is stupid. If they put Texas 4 amd left Alabama out, I wouldn’t have a huge problem with it, but I think that head to head would mean more if it was later rather than earlier.

I don’t think you can leave Michigan FSU, or Washington out legitimately. They earned their way in. No matter what the powers that be say about their subjective “best teams.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:27 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Spence wrote:Looks like Nick Sabin never practiced for Auburn at all last week. He practiced two weeks for Georgia

Well, we have 3 undefeated teams + Texas + Alabama + Georgia

And the people who will claim OSU should be in, because of where they were ranked coming into the week.

The latter is only justifiable by the close loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor.

The justifiable drop in rank would be to say, the Buckeyes did not play in this Championship week, and all of the other teams did.

Personally, I believe the 3 unbeatens should be in. The games on the field have to mean something. Otherwise, why even play Conference Title games, and not just have the extended playoff now?

Give me:
Washington
Michigan
FSU
Texas

I know the arguments. How can you leave the SEC Champ out?

But, that is why the games should matter. Because had Georgia won the SEC, the SEC Champion would be in. Since Alabama lost to Texas in Tuscaloosa, the Longhorns should be in.

There should be as much of a consequence for losing, as there is a reward for winning.

The unfortunate thing, is this will of course give the unbalanced 12 team playoff apologists talking points for the entire off season.

My two cents worth for who should be considered for BEST:

Michigan
Alabama
Georgia
Washington
Texas

:mrgreen:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:40 pm

I think it is wrong to leave an undefeated power 5 team out because of the eye test. The same crap of justification goes on in politics and shows why the media can not be trusted to give the facts in this country.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:15 am

Spence wrote:I think it is wrong to leave an undefeated power 5 team out because of the eye test. The same crap of justification goes on in politics and shows why the media can not be trusted to give the facts in this country.

I couldn't agree more. I'm tired of this committee and their love for Alabama. It's just proof to what I think a lot of us have said before. It's about money/viewers. :(

FYI, I wouldn't have put Ga in either. This year, I wouldn't say "playing in the SEC" is more difficult and a 1 loss SEC Conference champ deserves it more than an undefeated Washington or FSU.

I think I would have put Michigan, Washington, Texas, and FSU.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:38 am

But the game was about what i expected. Ga made mistakes that cost them the game.

I have NO idea why Ga does so poorly in the SEC championship games against Bama. Why that one win in the National Championship game of 2022 was the sole win out of 7 or 8 games.

I still don't like Mike Bobo. But it's not his fault people fumble and it's converted to 3 points, or causes field goal kickers miss field goals.

I'm not sad they lost, I'm somewhat disgusted at the way it happened. And it might even be more along the lines that Bama jumped a bunch of other people because of politics because they upset Ga.

I want Texas to crush them again.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”