Well that sucked!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Well that sucked!

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:00 pm

Congratulations to Eric if he stops in. McCord just has a lot of issues with pressure and this game wasn’t different. Michigan played a good game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Well that sucked!

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:04 pm

Well……….. when the QB starts the game by turning the ball over and giving a good opponent both possession and field position and the opponent scores a TD, that’s a difference maker.

It’ll be interesting to see how the CFP Committee sees things going forward……. Dear God, please don’t let it be Texas, Amen

8) 8) 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:33 pm

Ohio State shouldn’t make it. I am a firm believer that if you don’t beat that team up north, you don’t deserve to go. Expand to 12 teams, I still feel the same.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:35 pm

Spence wrote:Ohio State shouldn’t make it. I am a firm believer that if you don’t beat that team up north, you don’t deserve to go. Expand to 12 teams, I still feel the same.

………..I understand where you’re coming from, but the CFP, in all their wisdom…….. I’ll be nice and just say they changed the ‘rules’. What happens on the field takes a backseat to whoever they determine are the ‘best’. And right now I’d guess Georgia and Michigan and ask who are the other two ‘best’? :?

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:16 pm

There really isn’t a great team this year. There are 6 or 7 teams who anyone could beat the other.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:10 am

We’re on the same page, with the ‘elite’ teams this season, no one is head and shoulders about the other ‘elites’…….., what I’ve seen this season is that games are not necessarily being ‘won’, but instead they’re being lost, where the teams that makes the fewest mistakes wins, while the teams that make the most or critical mistakes loses. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:27 pm

I just saw where part of what Ohio State needs to make it to the cfp is for Georgia and Michigan to cruise in their championship games. While I would root for Georgia in that game, no way in hell I am rooting for Michigan to win under any circumstances. Even if it helped Ohio State. Not going to happen. Not ever.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:04 pm

Well you know I would have to check back in after a long absence :mrgreen:

I will say this: The last three editions of Michigan football teams have been very beatable. Ryan Day is the primary culprit. He gives us way too much respect and needs to lean into his playmakers on the edge more. His receiving rooms have been ridiculously talented over the last three years and our DBs should have been overmatched. In 21 and 22, I felt he was way too conservative. Less conservative yesterday, but that issue boiled down to Kyle McCord, who just doesn't have it. He should be at Indiana or tearing it up in the MAC, and I know he was highly recruited, but he has a hard ceiling. Ohio State can do way better, and I figure Day should have known coming into this season that he had a dud at QB. Should have been more active in the portal. Ohio State usually does better with a QB that has a scrambling threat, and McCord has zero of that element in his game.

I still believe Ohio State has the better team and that Day has screwed up three years in a row (cheating on Michigan's part probably helped us in 2021). I would have forced the ball into Harrison more, but with the limitation at QB, that may have been the wrong move.

Michigan has a lot of issues offensively that should get exposed in the playoff, assuming we get through Iowa. I think Iowa has a realistic path to a 17-13 type win over Michigan, if we can't consistently run the ball. I don't view our running game as being especially explosive, and if we get paired up with Bama or Georgia it will be tough sledding. Pass protection is average. We can only complete passes up the middle of the field. I've been complaining about it since the Hoke years, we have no downfield sideline threat and we have no size at WR. McCarthy doesn't get enough reps in this offense to really develop a rhythm and improve. He should transfer to the Big 12 if he knows what's good for his future, but I doubt that is in the cards. I think Michigan can take on Texas, Oregon, or Washington, but it would be a mild upset. We should be small favorites over FSU with Rodemaker at QB. Bama and Georgia will walk all over us, mostly because they will get their 30 points and we won't be able to match.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that the middle of the B1G is complete garbage. I firmly believe that Michigan or Ohio State would have most likely gone 10-2 if they played in the Big 12, Pac-12, or SEC. Our middle portion of the conference is non-competitive. Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue? They can't throw the ball, they have almost no skill at WR, they have no skill at the OT position, they have mediocre pass rushes, and their secondaries are bad. Bad, bad, bad football. Life in the SEC or Big 12 or Pac-12 is a lot different. If you draw South Carolina, UCF, or Washington State, you can't sleepwalk your way to a victory, and those are some of the easier conference games. Ohio State against Minnesota or Michigan against Purdue, there is literally nothing those teams can do to rise up and pull off the upset.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:17 pm

Eric wrote:A lot of that has to do with the fact that the middle of the B1G is complete garbage. I firmly believe that Michigan or Ohio State would have most likely gone 10-2 if they played in the Big 12, Pac-12, or SEC. Our middle portion of the conference is non-competitive. Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue? They can't throw the ball, they have almost no skill at WR, they have no skill at the OT position, they have mediocre pass rushes, and their secondaries are bad. Bad, bad, bad football. Life in the SEC or Big 12 or Pac-12 is a lot different. If you draw South Carolina, UCF, or Washington State, you can't sleepwalk your way to a victory, and those are some of the easier conference games. Ohio State against Minnesota or Michigan against Purdue, there is literally nothing those teams can do to rise up and pull off the upset.

On a side note, on paper this should mean that the incoming Pac-12 schools should walk over the Big 10, but there are a couple factors to consider. All of them will be going through a lot of change, either coaching or at QB. Plus the travel and jetlag I think will be a thorn in their side over the years that will piss the fan bases off. But when I look at a team like USC, Lincoln Riley's offense is a major trump card. Hypothetically, let's say USC @ Illinois. If USC's defense is as bad as it was this year, and it was historically bad, Illinois isn't scoring more than 42, tops. USC should get to 45 just by showing up. As average as this 7-5 USC team was, if they played Michigan's schedule, I see them going 10-2 and then everyone could pretend how good they still were.

To keep the story short, I think Oregon and USC will do the best off the bat, and Washington and UCLA will land more towards the middle of the pack in Y1. Although USC's schedule in 24 is ridiculous. Michigan will go 8-4, provided we don't get a postseason ban and everyone transfers out :shock:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:57 pm

Good to see you back. Don’t be a stranger.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:01 pm

Yes, good to see you drop in every so often Eric! Don't be a stranger. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”