What Will $76 Million Buy You ..?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

What Will $76 Million Buy You ..?

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:16 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

Evidently, a Head Coaching vacancy in College Station ...

How did that go down? One might ask, after Texas A&M put a 51-10 shellacking of Mississippi State.

Apparently, the board of regents had already made the decision Thursday night. But they chose to withhold the information, because they did not want he firing of Jimbo Fisher to be a distraction for the players going into Saturday's game.

They felt like they have a chance to finish the season with an 8-4 record, and waited for the day after the game vs the Bulldogs to 86 the guy.

The crazy thing is, Fisher's big contract came on the heels of LSU wanting him. And A&M responded by giving Jimbo a ridiculous pay bump, just to keep him.

Now we have the A&M fan base touting that they're going to go out and get Dan Lanning, who is on track to play in the Playoffs, should Oregon go on to win the Pac-12 title.

Maybe they get him.

And yes, Big Oil usually get what it wants.

However, will Knight let that be the case?

Precisely how much can a coach go for in a bidding war?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: What Will $76 Million Buy You ..?

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:09 am

Jimbo should have called James Franklin for some advice………. after getting absolutely mauled by Michigan last weekend as the Wolverines ran the ball at will right down the throats of the Nittany Lions, Franklin fired his offensive coordinator. :lol: :lol: :lol:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:12 pm

Jimbo just chuckles on his way to the bank...$76 million... with $19 million of that due immediately and $7.6 million a year for eight years...coaching money with no work, no pressure..and the payments last until he is 66..retirement.

He probably said what Orgeron said at LSU..."When do you want me to leave and what door do you want me to go out of ? "
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:42 pm

billybud wrote:Jimbo just chuckles on his way to the bank...$76 million... with $19 million of that due immediately and $7.6 million a year for eight years...coaching money with no work, no pressure..and the payments last until he is 66..retirement.

He probably said what Orgeron said at LSU..."When do you want me to leave and what door do you want me to go out of ? "

You know, people always want to talk about making a 'Fail Proof' plan ...

In Jimbo's case, failing turned out to be his plan ... retirement plan.

Lose your way to ultimate security.

Aaah!

The American Dream.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:38 pm

Texas A&M got exactly what they asked for here.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:32 pm

……….and don’t forget that recruiting class that Nick Saban accused Texas A&M of “buying” that Jimbo vehemently denied. It’s appearing those ‘Big Oil Boys’ have more money than good sense. I believe the parlance down in that part of the country for stupid things such as that is ‘All hat and no cattle’.

8) 8) 8)

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:59 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Traylor, University of Texas at San Antonio head coach, interviews for the A&M job ...

Certainly a different move, their not going for the biggest flashest name.

Did Gig'em Country learn something?

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:21 pm

……….coaching contracts for that kind of money sounds to me like Big Texas Oil money out bidding Big Louisiana Oil money.

And in the end Big Texas Oil lost………. :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:39 pm

It's not even my money, and I feel bad for the fatcats that fund Texas A&M's athletic department :lol:

I would have let Jimbo get at least one more crack at it, but something I'm not sure these SEC schools are aware of--Adding Texas and Oklahoma just made everyone's lives more difficult. Fan bases are just going to have to change expectations moving forward while realizing that going 8-4, 4-4 in SEC play, is not actually a "bad" season. Something tells me that the fan bases won't be moved by that type of logic and will want their HC fired for going 6-6 at Mississippi State or South Carolina.

If I was a head coach with some cachet, I would not take an SEC job, unless you just want to make bank for 3 or 4 years and then move on. Every other major conference provides a much better path to posting better records, so if you are confident in yourself that you can win anywhere, yes a job like Pitt or Arizona State is much much better than Florida or Auburn. Unless your goal is to get fired and your agent gets you a $76 million buyout, then by all means take the bag from Auburn or Florida or Texas A&M :lol:

As for A&M, you're going to pay Jimbo $76 million to not coach and replace him with Jeff Traylor? You're going to need to make a bigger splash to justify that kind of spending I'm afraid.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:12 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the A&M job came down to 3 names ...

One of which turned them down by announcing on his twitter [X] account; Mark Stoops, when he said that, Yes, he had been contacted about other opportunities. But after celebrating a special win with his players by beating their #10 ranked rival, He just loves the team and where he's at too much to leave.

Stoops removed himself from the applicants.

That left A&M with

Jeff Traylor = a guy who has strong ties to the High School football community in the state of Texas. Seriously, this guy's name carries a bunch of weight. Being able to recruit his own backyard vs the Longhorns with A&M's NIL $$$$$ is something that made College Station give him a hard look.

Mike Elko = Before taking the Blue Devils and turning them into something rather respectable and noteworthy; Elko was hired to HC in Durham away from Texas A&M when he was their Defensive Coordinator. The administration already has a strong familiarity with him, and know he's a capable coach who can recruit the state.

About 4 hours ago, I heard that Elko received the outright offer. Although they haven't officially announced it yet, and I've been waiting on confirmation. I'm in the understanding that A&M will be holding a presser tomorrow to crown him as the guy.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:30 pm

Let’s hope gas prices don’t go up……. :wink:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:03 pm

billybud wrote:Jimbo just chuckles on his way to the bank...$76 million... with $19 million of that due immediately and $7.6 million a year for eight years...coaching money with no work, no pressure..and the payments last until he is 66..retirement.

I can't for the life of me figure out why schools agree to pay this??

Hope you're doing well billybud!
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”