Saturday, September 23rd Spotlight ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Saturday, September 23rd Spotlight ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:44 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I may be looking for this Saturday ...

And I say maybe, because I may or may not be watching some of these games, or finishes to some of them.

My wife informed me, that there is still a chance for the ND/Ohio St tickets. The person she held them for hasn't yet picked them up, or asked about them. And so, if she doesn't hear back by tomorrow, they will fall back into our hands.

Now, I don't live too far from the stadium, which means [if we get the tickets] I can see the earlier games, and kickoff of the midday games ... likely to at least halftime before we have to leave.

Rutgers / Michigan --- Ol' Blue hasn't looked quite as dominant as people were expecting. Rutgers has been surprisingly formidable. I think Michigan wins on the ground, controlling the clock. With these newer time rules, it can be killer for a team behind, playing against a rush productive offensive scheme. If the game stays close, well, I've seen crazier things happen --- Question Marks: Can Rutgers take a step forward and make this one a close game? Will Michigan find better a better passing game, and not win One Dimensionally?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was last week a fluke, or is fsu legit?
Can Clemson prove they are still a Big Dog in the ACC? Or are they in their Sunset?

Oklahoma has looked both good and not so good. Can they win on the road against a moderately tough opponent?
Are the Bearcats ready to step up to center stage, and take down a media darling?

Will the Neon Buffaloes play with enough heart and discipline to win in Eugene?
Are the Ducks getting a little bit too much credit for recency bias? Or are they legitimate contenders?

The Bruins looking pretty tough. Is it just early season flair? Or, are they something to watch going forward?
Is Utah really that good? Will they win because it's at home? Can they win decisively?

Can the Crimson Tide actually start improving? Or, is this going to be the first loss that shatters their season?
Does Ole Miss have what it takes to walk into Bryant-Denny and win? Is their O-Line stout enough to give the QB the time to throw?

Was the close loss to Oregon a boost for the Red Raiders? Do they have what it'll take to win in Morgantown?
Are the Mountaineers feelin' it? Was it just an emotional game vs Pitt? Or will they build momentum against TT?

Will the game in Ames show us that one coach or the other is washed up?
Are both the Cowboys & Cyclones really just that bad?

Oregon St -v- Washington St looks very intriguing. Are these guys ready for the prime time atmosphere?
Is the winner of this game a contender for the Pac-?? Championship?

Ohio St/ND > Will I be at the game? Will I learn more from watching the game at home or at the stadium?
Does OSU pass rush have what it needs to get to Heartman? Will the Buckeyes O play focused in South Bend?
Do the Irish have what it takes to stay as consistent as they have been, against a legitimate opponent?

Finally we can learn something about Iowa's Offense. Any Power5 team should play the way they have vs their to date schedule.
Is Penn St as strong as the media would have us believe? Does the Nittany Lions offense have the fire power to overcome Iowa's D.
Will there be any pass efficiency for either team in this game? Will it be a game where one busted play wins it for someone?

Are the Tar'Heels truly ready to march onward for an ACC Championship campaign?
Is Pitt ready to establish themselves and find an identity at home versus a Conference Contender?

Is UCF ready to prove they are a legitimate Power5 Program? Can they win convincingly so far from home?
Can Kansas St salvage their season with a win against the Knights? Will they make a statement in this game?

USC and Washington: Who will put up more points? Which will have the greatest Margin of Victory?
The Huskies on California
The Trojans on Arizona St

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Saturday, September 23rd Spotlight ...

Postby Mountainman » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:37 pm

You’re asking the right questions…….. it’s been harder to get a good read on numerous teams so far this season. I believe a big part as to why its been so is the sportswriter guys are spending much of their time writing about all the goings on in and around College Football e.g. transfer portals, NIL, NCAA issues, Conference Realignment, Congressional intervention, scandalous behavior, and let’s not forget Prime Time…… 8)

Hope you and the wife get to see the Bucks and Irish in person…… enjoy!!!!!

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:21 am

Mountainman wrote:You’re asking the right questions…….. it’s been harder to get a good read on numerous teams so far this season. I believe a big part as to why its been so is the sportswriter guys are spending much of their time writing about all the goings on in and around College Football e.g. transfer portals, NIL, NCAA issues, Conference Realignment, Congressional intervention, scandalous behavior, and let’s not forget Prime Time…… 8)

Hope you and the wife get to see the Bucks and Irish in person…… enjoy!!!!! .

Great thing about YouTube is, even if I miss a game, I can always go back and find it there.

Most games are also condensed down, playing every snap, but pressed into a half an hour to 40 mins.

The only thing it doesn't allow for, is to see replays for most downs, except crucial ones. Sometimes those Yellow Hankies can be game changers for a team. And if the "Penalty" wasn't immanently visible during the play; without replay you cannot gauge its genuine nature. Especially the way some of these zebras interpret the legality of a procedure.

Otherwise, you can see just about every game, in the hereafter.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:43 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:You’re asking the right questions…….. it’s been harder to get a good read on numerous teams so far this season. I believe a big part as to why its been so is the sportswriter guys are spending much of their time writing about all the goings on in and around College Football e.g. transfer portals, NIL, NCAA issues, Conference Realignment, Congressional intervention, scandalous behavior, and let’s not forget Prime Time…… 8)

Great thing about YouTube is, even if I miss a game, I can always go back and find it there.

Most games are also condensed down, playing every snap, but pressed into a half an hour to 40 mins.

The only thing it doesn't allow for, is to see replays for most downs, except crucial ones. Sometimes those Yellow Hankies can be game changers for a team. And if the "Penalty" wasn't immanently visible during the play; without replay you cannot gauge its genuine nature. Especially the way some of these zebras interpret the legality of a procedure.

A few words of counsel and advice……. In the event the tickets don’t work out, do not say anything that may be interpreted as critical or that you’re disappointed. Be very careful here, as wives have a way of redefining exactly what you say into exactly what they think you meant. In other words DO NOT EVEN MENTION IT. Instead, I suggest a big hug, and something like, “We can now watch the game together on TV and order pizza and beverage and enjoy an afternoon and evening together.”

Else, you very well could find yourself prematurely in the “hereafter” or on the couch, alone watching replays on YouTube. :wink:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:47 pm

I don't think Ohio State is solid on either side of the ball right now. They may get there, but right now I don't see it. McCord still stares down his receiver, making every pass a interception threat. The front four haven't gotten much pressure to this point. I have liked what I have seen from the backfield. The back four have played well. Especially Ransom and Burke. The backers are playing faster which hopefully means they are "getting it".

I am hoping to catch the last half of the game. I have Sectiontionals this Monday and I am trying to get my team ready for it. This has been the most mind sapping year of my life as fars as coaching goes. I am hoping to get out and let my seniors experience going to the district tournament as a team. They have only played as individuals the last couple years because we didn't have the fourth score to move forward as a team. I feel like the dutch ball trying to keep my fingers in the leaking dike and hold it all together. :?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:14 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:

A few words of counsel and advice……. In the event the tickets don’t work out, do not say anything that may be interpreted as critical or that you’re disappointed. Be very careful here, as wives have a way of redefining exactly what you say into exactly what they think you meant. In other words DO NOT EVEN MENTION IT. Instead, I suggest a big hug, and something like, “We can now watch the game together on TV and order pizza and beverage and enjoy an afternoon and evening together.”

Else, you very well could find yourself prematurely in the “hereafter” or on the couch, alone watching replays on YouTube. :wink: .

Well, I already got the word the other party did in fact contact for the tickets, thus, I won't be at the game.

As for not letting it show ... there really is nothing to say or show, as I always knew it was 50/50

I didn't show any disappointment last week when I said something about that game, and my wife told me she gave away the tickets. I face palmed when she told me she didn't think I'd want to go to it, so she offered them to someone else.

She tried to consolation me with Notre Dame -v- Wake Forest, and I just laughed, saying "No. I won't be going to that game."

She responded by saying, "Oh good. Because it's in mid November, and I don't want to stand in the cold."

She only watches with casual interest. So, we won't be watching the game together, either. She'll ask me what the score is here and there, then if ND won. Otherwise, she'll checkout after kickoff. No way she'd have the patience to sit through my jumping all over the place, flipping channels, scanning scores, watching for updates. Mitigating between my TV and Laptop.

What it means, is I'll get to watch every game and scrutinize them in real time, while avoiding gameday traffic.

It also means, I can order Chipotle on the phone app, and pick it up, eating at leisure, without being in a rush. Especially since they put one in up here on 933 North of the Stadium, about a 5 minute drive from my house. It's either that or Culver's, which is directly across the street from Chipotle, so I see it as a win.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:36 pm

Spence wrote:I don't think Ohio State is solid on either side of the ball right now. They may get there, but right now I don't see it. McCord still stares down his receiver, making every pass a interception threat. The front four haven't gotten much pressure to this point. I have liked what I have seen from the backfield. The back four have played well. Especially Ransom and Burke. The backers are playing faster which hopefully means they are "getting it".

I am hoping to catch the last half of the game. I have Sectionals this Monday and I am trying to get my team ready for it. This has been the most mind sapping year of my life as far as coaching goes. I am hoping to get out and let my seniors experience going to the district tournament as a team. They have only played as individuals the last couple years because we didn't have the fourth score to move forward as a team. I feel like the dutch ball trying to keep my fingers in the leaking dike and hold it all together. :?

I think it should be one of the better games of the day. I'm curious if Hartman can maintain the production he's found with the Irish. The Buckeyes have a lot to prove tomorrow. If they win in that environment, all the talk will be about them and the Wolverines. Then, whether or not Penn State can be a spoiler.

I know the odds makers are giving a heavy lean for OSU, but I think these teams pair up really well. Offensive output is at nearly the same level. Defensive numbers a in the same range. This has close one written all over it.

I hope you have a constructive outing with your team. Getting through Sectionals and into District would be a great experience. The confidence that comes with success is also contagious.

Here's to the Spencer Trophy

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:09 am

I agree. Ohio State offensive front four hasn’t played well over teams they should have manhandled. The defensive front have play just alright. Ohio State shouldn’t be a heavy favorite. I am not sure they should be favored at all.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:51 pm

I like this Nole team...they don't roll over and quit...

I remember the FSU-Miami matches of old...settled in the 4th qtr...a bunch of games by 3 points...teams fought to the end.

One of my favorite quotes was from an FSU linebacker..."We knew we were the better team and they knew that they would win."
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:47 pm

They looked good today.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:59 pm

Ohio State didn’t look good today. This team is definitely not as slick as the last few years. But they got the win. Pretty clean called game. My cousin was at the game, he said it took him a few minutes to compose himself to start to leave.

Return to “General Discussion”