Clock Management ... Now It Won't Stop

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Clock Management ... Now It Won't Stop

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:45 am

-------------------------------------------------------------

Not a fan of this decision ...

Reports on running game time are saying they're changing the first down rule.

The clock will continue to run after.

It was one of those rules that made college football feel like a separate entity from the pros.

But, now with all of the NIL deal, Schools Poaching players through the Portal {Bama attempted to scoop Van Dyke away from Miami this past week}, and Programs filing into two major conferences, I'm not sure we'll be able to tell the difference in a couple of years.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Clock Management ... Now It Won't Stop

Postby Mountainman » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:15 am

Hey Cane…….. hopefully you’ve thawed out from last winter.

Earlier we were discussing rule changes these guys were making to ‘shorten’ the game by a few minutes with the thoughts of ‘player safety’ by reducing the number of plays run during the game…….. and now we’re reading and discussing rules to eliminate a rule that will allow more plays to be run. :roll:

My two ‘cents’ worth is to make any ‘sense’ of these changes is that the NCAA Rules Guys are attempting to make game’s times, ie, the duration of the game, more predictable and consistent in order to fit into the time slots for the TV guys broadcasting schedules…….. and if there’s one thing we’ve witnessed with certainty it’s that the TV guys rule the behavior of the NCAA. 8)

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:05 am

Mountainman wrote:Hey Cane…….. hopefully you’ve thawed out from last winter.

Earlier we were discussing rule changes these guys were making to ‘shorten’ the game by a few minutes with the thoughts of ‘player safety’ by reducing the number of plays run during the game…….. and now we’re reading and discussing rules to eliminate a rule that will allow more plays to be run. :roll:

My two ‘cents’ worth is to make any ‘sense’ of these changes is that the NCAA Rules Guys are attempting to make game’s times, ie, the duration of the game, more predictable and consistent in order to fit into the time slots for the TV guys broadcasting schedules…….. and if there’s one thing we’ve witnessed with certainty it’s that the TV guys rule the behavior of the NCAA. 8) .

I'm managing the weather as best I can; Temperatures keeps bouncing up and down like a rubber ball the last couple of weeks.

My issue with the shortening game play to fit into time slots better, is that every time they change the rules to reduce the game length, the broadcast times have maintained, and in many cases gotten longer.

Funny how the actual play shortens ... yet advertisers seem to have more frequency in commercial sequence.

I wonder how long before they pull the NASCAR approach, where they shrink the size of the game, and run the ads in a side view during game play.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:32 pm

I like football games. I don't mind if they are longer. I don't like it when they have TV time outs. Could we get a running clock on those. Start them as soon as the whistle blows.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:28 pm

The weather has been crazy lately!! It's been in the high 40s low 50s at night, and not getting above 80 or so during the day.

This type of weather is usually gone by end of March down here.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:30 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

It was one of those rules that made college football feel like a separate entity from the pros.

But, now with all of the NIL deal, Schools Poaching players through the Portal {Bama attempted to scoop Van Dyke away from Miami this past week}, and Programs filing into two major conferences, I'm not sure we'll be able to tell the difference in a couple of years.

Not a fan of this rule at all. This will change the outcome of some of the games. And what purpose does this serve????? What's the point. So the game lasts 5 minutes longer.....you can't cram a commercial in that time anyway.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:44 pm

Derek wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:.
Cane from the Bend wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------

Not a fan of this rule at all. This will change the outcome of some of the games. And what purpose does this serve????? What's the point. So the game lasts 5 minutes longer.....you can't cram a commercial in that time anyway.

I feel Pate has a really solid handle on this ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjdB3JpERD4

Only thing I would have added, that I think he misses, is that the number of plays being reduced is going to be marginal.

Do you really believe with the change to a more uptempo offensive league, that this will significantly reduce the amount of snaps?

Or, will it just give the fast paced spread gurus an incentive to accelerate the playbook, attempting to create shorter times between snaps?

How many more stoppages is all of this going to inevitably produce, when guys look to the sidelines for the signal to drop and grasp their hamstrings?

The ad guys will Love that, though.

Because injuries always garner commercial breaks.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed May 10, 2023 9:16 am

It will certainly change the nature of some last two minure drives to come from behind...FSU would not have had a 96 yard drive in under 2 minures to beat Auburn in the NC game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed May 10, 2023 3:15 pm

billybud wrote:It will certainly change the nature of some last two minure drives to come from behind...FSU would not have had a 96 yard drive in under 2 minures to beat Auburn in the NC game.

exactly, I don't see the need for it. I can't think of any angle of it that would fall under "safety" of the players.

Hope you're doing well.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu May 11, 2023 1:47 pm

Interesting enough, I see where Division III has voted and rejected the new “clock” rules. 8)

………..and on another it appears the NCAA is bending some ears in Congress:

The NCAA is seeking a college athlete bill that (1) provides a national name, image and likeness standard, preempting state NIL laws; (2) deems college athletes as students and not employees; and (3) offers protections from legal challenges so the NCAA can create more rules around NIL.

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Return to “General Discussion”