We’re Getting Closer, BUT……….

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

We’re Getting Closer, BUT……….

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:23 pm

………there still remains “rankings” as determined by ‘experts’. :? :| :?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... ba7c6p0ksl

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: We’re Getting Closer, BUT……….

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:57 pm

College football is entering a brave new era in terms of its national championship. At least, it will.

There is nothing brave about this design, this is merely the cowards way out ...

If they wanted to be brave about it, they'd make it an even 8, with no byes; then let the field of play during the season eliminate the rest.

All they are doing is giving more chances to the favored sons of the media and advertisers. It's a larger share, for the group that already has.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:17 pm

It is never be more inclusive. When the top 12 matter it will matter what 12 they rank. You heard it here first.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:15 pm

I still have issues with the notions of ‘rankings’ and ‘bye’ ……… to me, both these practices are subjective and manipulative and are used to influence outcomes of the games not only in the first rounds, but also the final rounds. I just don’t get how a FOOTBALL tournament can be fair to all participants when all teams are not required to play the same number of games to become the ‘tournament’ champion’.

This current approach reeks of television programming influence, a.k.a. MONEY…….. now, if they would split those dollars in such a fashion to where the participating schools and TV guys would get half of the dollars generated and the players on all the participating teams would get a share of the other half, I’d take that approach under consideration.

I know, I know…….. not until cows can fly. 8) 8) 8)

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:34 pm

I don't really have a problem with the top 4 teams getting byes. And yes they are insuring themselves the top 4 they want or someone good enough to beat those top 4 for economic reasons. I just wish the formula they used to determine the top 4 would be conference champs. The toe breakers would be overall record, then strength of schedule. I think a conference champ from every conference should go and then the top two teams that aren't champs using the above toe breaking formula. I don't care that this doesn't give us the best 12 teams. It does offer a path to the championship for all the teams in fbs. I don't even have a problem with consolidating a few conferences to get to 8. Then the wild cards that aren't champs. As long as we quit using any subjective way of determining the teams.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:11 pm

Spence, let me tell you a story that’s straight from actual events that occurred right here in the hills and hollers of Ole Wild and Wonderful………

Once upon a time there were 2 Blue Tick Hound Coon Dogs, and both were pretty darn good at what they did……. One night, when the full moon was shining bright and a chill was in the air, those two dogs came across the same scent of a big ole boar coon. Now both those hounds knew it was big ole boar coon because they’d been around a while and done battle with those critters before and knew they were in for a chase and quite possibly a mighty struggle.

Off they took…… on a dead run, over hills, through the fields and up the holler, over the ridge and down the other side……. when suddenly they came to a stop. The scent trail had vanished, they looked at one another, and then began backtracking to where the scent had last been fresh. They found the scent trail again. It was right between two giant Red Spruce Pine Trees. Those two hounds looked at one another, both knowing something wasn’t right, but they knew that big ole boar coon just didn’t vanish or disappear, he was there somewhere. So after a few minutes of sniffing around both those pine trees to make sure that ole coon hadn’t pulled an ole coon getaway trick on them, one hound set at the base of the tree on the right while the other hound set at the base of the tree on the left……… because they both knew, the answer to the issue at hand was up in one of those trees. :wink:

As we’ve said before, Conference Champs are a good measure, but strength of schedule can be little tricky because those, such as Alabama among others, that play a very weak non-conference schedule in addition to several ‘weak sisters of the poor’ conference games.

8) 8) 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:10 pm

I agree. I am willing to not care about the SOS dynamic if the are putting in all conference champs. Who the last two or four teams (depending on how the number of conferences in the end). My whole goal would be to take subjectivity out of it without using a computer algorithm for SOS or ranking of any kind, Records and who you beat would be the only thing that matters. I know it won't be perfect. I know it wouldn't give you the best 12 teams. I think what matters is every team having a legitimate path and no humans opinion mattering.

I think that dog could hunt, even though that coon may get him to chase it into the creek and drown the dog.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:44 pm

The Playoff will join the vast majority of the organized sports world by providing more inclusive entry into the college football postseason, tripling the number of current teams from four to 12 and providing four rounds of play as opposed to two.

There is no sure fire way to turn me against something that to use the word "inclusive".

I'm sick of the fairness drivel. It's weak commie nonsense.

ALL we have done is ensure the regular season doesn't matter anymore.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:53 pm

Spence wrote:I agree. I am willing to not care about the SOS dynamic if the are putting in all conference champs. Who the last two or four teams (depending on how the number of conferences in the end). My whole goal would be to take subjectivity out of it without using a computer algorithm for SOS or ranking of any kind, Records and who you beat would be the only thing that matters. I know it won't be perfect. I know it wouldn't give you the best 12 teams. I think what matters is every team having a legitimate path and no humans opinion mattering.

I think that dog could hunt, even though that coon may get him to chase it into the creek and drown the dog.

Yes, though dogs can swim, too ...

And given the six highest-ranked conference champions as automatic qualifiers, byes to the top 4 [the four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded 1-4 ], and the best group of 5, having 6 at large spots, [being next six highest-ranked teams].

The next four highest-ranked teams (#'s 5-8) will host the first-round matchups [which very likely will not include the group of 5 champion].

The CFP Selection Committee will continue to determine weekly ratings with criteria to be reevaluated in the future.

The only thing they are doing, is ensuring they get who they want in the playoffs, and then giving a free admittance ticket to whatever criteria they choose to delineate as best, with conditions of ranking preference.

6 Best Conferences = Power5 + 1 Obligatory Group of 5 {best Go5 team}
6 next highest ranked = Notre Dame + Power5 Conference Championship losers

This model gives teams a second chance vs the team who earned it. And, in some cases, a 3rd chance if:
Opponents play in the regular season + Conference Championship + Playoff

The math doesn't lie.

And when one of the Power5 doesn't have a team ranked as "The Next 6 Highest", it will mean a 3rd team from whichever Power5 Conference [the SEC] has.

The PAC and Big 12 will receive less consideration, once USC/UCLA and Texas/OU are no longer members.

And until the ACC starts elevating their status; we very well may end up with 3 SEC and/or 3 Big 10 schools to fill the back end of the bracket.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:43 pm

………and there you have it folks. Analytics, Ethics and Truth, and all in the same thread. A rare occurrence this day and time. :wink:

Congratulations Gentlemen 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:14 pm

It is hard for a dog to defend itself when it is using it's legs to stay afloat and a coon is on his back ripping through his throat.

I know the powers will never hand over control. That is why you will start to see the rankings change down the line compared today. You won't see Tulane ranked as high as today. That is how they control things. I don't think they care who wins, but they absolutely care who plays.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:16 pm

Derek wrote:
The Playoff will join the vast majority of the organized sports world by providing more inclusive entry into the college football postseason, tripling the number of current teams from four to 12 and providing four rounds of play as opposed to two.

There is no sure fire way to turn me against something that to use the word "inclusive".

I'm sick of the fairness drivel. It's weak commie nonsense.

ALL we have done is ensure the regular season doesn't matter anymore.

By fairness, I would mean everyone has a seat at the table. You still need to advance on the field.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:35 am

Mountainman wrote:………and there you have it folks. Analytics, Ethics and Truth, and all in the same thread. A rare occurrence this day and time. :wink:

Congratulations Gentlemen 8) .

Now here's a solid take ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCyO-oFSyQ

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:50 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Mountainman wrote:………and there you have it folks. Analytics, Ethics and Truth, and all in the same thread. A rare occurrence this day and time. :wink:

Congratulations Gentlemen 8) .

Now here's a solid take ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCyO-oFSyQ

Yep, big issue in today’s environment, where there’s a problem or issue, or want, or need…….. and some authority comes along and tells people what they want to hear.

“we’re gonna fix it” and end up convincing people their ‘solution’ will work, when it won’t. And the reason it won’t work is because the priority of the guys in change is not fixing it, but rather profiteering.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:57 am

I agree with this guy. Where we would part ways is I believe teams that are not going to have a seat at the table, shouldn't be made part of the group. If you have no path, you aren't in this league.

And I still don't like the subjective nature of ranking.
If the power 5 is who is in the league, take the five champs and play them off.'This year that would be Georgia, Michigan, Utah, Kansas State, and Clemson. We don't need the eye test or any other "test" to create a metric to justify adding Ohio State, TCU, USC, Alabama, or anyone else. The games they played decided it.

We also don't need any expanded playoff to do it. They could have a playing based on the records of the five teams to decide the forth team.

He is right that they have killed the bowls. That
Is mostly what expansion is about. We screwed up when we thought it wouldn't affect the bowls and it did. Top players sit them out, so this is how we fix that.

You can't get back the past. You can only quit screwing up the future. This is a good lesson for college spots amd congress for that matter.

Return to “General Discussion”