We’re Getting Closer, BUT……….

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: We’re Getting Closer, BUT……….

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:37 pm

College Football……. Devouring its own. :roll:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 823%29.jpg

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:11 pm

Seems to me most years in the CFP running there are 4 or 6 teams that have a legit argument to be in the playoff. This year there is really only two that have proven they belong and one that proved they have enough fight to deserve a shot. no one else has a good argument.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:07 pm

I go back to the beginning, or maybe better said would be my starting point, when I think about the current state of the the game I start when Jim Swofford and the Atlantic Coast Conference decided to listen to the ESPN guys. and see where College Football is now and where it’s going. :?

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:28 pm

It was a huge mistake. It killed the bowls. They were arrogant and thought the bowls would be fine. The playoff will rain in the absolute end of all side bowls and create a giant chasm in talked between the top 8 or 12 teams in the country and everyone else. Couple that with dwindling NIL money for the bottom two thirds of teams and it will not be good.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:05 pm

Spence wrote:It was a huge mistake. It killed the bowls. They were arrogant and thought the bowls would be fine. The playoff will rain in the absolute end of all side bowls and create a giant chasm in talked between the top 8 or 12 teams in the country and everyone else. Couple that with dwindling NIL money for the bottom two thirds of teams and it will not be good.

………….and now find themselves with an way under market contract through, I believe, 2036 and their testicles firmly gripped in the hands of Disney. Atta boy, Jim…… :roll:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:03 am

Spence wrote:It was a huge mistake. It killed the bowls. They were arrogant and thought the bowls would be fine. The playoff will rain in the absolute end of all side bowls and create a giant chasm in talked between the top 8 or 12 teams in the country and everyone else. Couple that with dwindling NIL money for the bottom two thirds of teams and it will not be good.

I think this is absolutely correct. The bowls will be gone within 5+ years of going to 12 teams.

I did think this would happen with 4, but it doesn't seem that's really enough teams to drown out the bowl games. With 4 rounds of playoffs, the Poulan Weed Eater bowl will be uninteresting to fans and teams will eventually quit spending money to go when sponsors start dropping the games due to no one watching.

Not to mention the star players getting ready for the pros who don't want to risk it with a game that no one is watching.

It's inevitable IMO.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”