The Poop Has Hit The Windmill In Mo’Town….

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

The Poop Has Hit The Windmill In Mo’Town….

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Talk radio and TV this morning…….. personally, I thinks Lyons left a few items out. :roll:

https://wvmetronews.com/2022/11/28/lyon ... athletics/

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Poop Has Hit The Windmill In Mo’Town….

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:51 pm

Shane Lyons:

My mark will always be here. I built roughly 200 million dollars worth of facilities. Those things aren’t going away. That’s only going to help West Virginia in the future. You’ll look back and say Shane Lyons left his mark here in a very positive way.”

Seems to me, the sheer number of other Athletics Directors doing the same, even generating more, and the Administrations across the country all being on board to haul this current environment forward; Any competent qualified person at this job title would have done the same, if not better. So if that's the ground Lyons is standing his high horse upon, then he didn't do anything special.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:06 pm

It would seem to me that the AD would have set someone up to watch the transfer portal and coordinate with the head coach. While it isn't his job specifically to watch it, he is responsible for how his sports do their business. Gee is a pretty sharp guy. If he got rid of him, it was for good reason. Unless he has changed a lot since he was at Ohio State, he is loyal to his AD and coaches to a fault.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:45 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Shane Lyons:

My mark will always be here. I built roughly 200 million dollars worth of facilities. Those things aren’t going away. That’s only going to help West Virginia in the future. You’ll look back and say Shane Lyons left his mark here in a very positive way.”

Seems to me, the sheer number of other Athletics Directors doing the same, even generating more, and the Administrations across the country all being on board to haul this current environment forward; Any competent qualified person at this job title would have done the same, if not better. So if that's the ground Lyons is standing his high horse upon, then he didn't do anything special.

This guy is Gee’s right hand man……..

Statement from WVU Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and Interim Director of Athletics Rob Alsop on the WVU Football Program:

"Over the past several weeks, President Gee and I have discussed the future of WVU Athletics and our football program with a number of individuals and talented athletic administrators from across the country. We were also impressed with the effort of our team the last few weeks. Additionally, we have also had discussions with Coach Brown and our new Director of Athletics, Wren Baker, about our next steps as a department. In fact, Wren and Coach Brown have already connected relating to the future of the program. As a result of all of these efforts and discussions, it is clear that Coach Brown should continue to lead our football program.

"With new energy that comes with new leadership, it is time to rally around Wren's leadership as we move forward quickly to recruit more top student-athletes to our program and continue to develop the incredibly talented group of returning players who are an integral part of our Mountaineer family. I know that Wren will be focusing a lot his time and attention on how we improve our results on the football field and across a number of our programs.

"I will continue to work with Wren, Neal, and the rest of our Athletics program to ensure a smooth transition to the next era for our Athletics Department. Let's go."

Lyons had no trouble spending money, and to be accurate, he did well with the projects he oversaw……… but when it came to Coach’s Contracts AND raising money to address an ever changing world of College Football, he failed miserably. :? :? :?

President Gee,

“When we began this search, we were determined to find someone who could lead in the modern realities of intercollegiate athletics and build on the legacy of his predecessors,” Gee added. “We wanted someone who clearly understood the dynamics of a fast-changing athletics environment and had found success being at the forefront of this new world that includes managing NIL and the portal. We looked at a number of well-qualified candidates and, at the end of the day, Wren met every one of our needs.”

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Return to “General Discussion”