So, This Happened ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

So, This Happened ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:08 am

--------------------------------------------------------------

UConn beat Liberty = maybe one of, if not the most, least likely outcomes on the day.

Purdue proves Bielama is what we believed him to be; Deep down, we all knew it, but collectively took the Illini in the Picks.

TCU beat Texas ... by holding the Longhorns to 7 points. And even that was practically a fluke, with a botched snap dropping the ball for the Horned Frogs, when they were heading down the field to push the lead to 24-3, and the UT Defense scoop'n'scoring with nothing but green open field. For those questioning whether TCU's defense can play sound enough; these guys held Texas' offense out of the end zone, and only allowed one field goal, in Austin.

Washington delivered in Eugene; while the Ducks did their best to cheat their way to extra time. One of the most obvious, worst fake injuries I've ever seen, to stop the clock. --- Michael Penix Jr is something else at QB. His throw was near perfection. I knew the Huskies passing game has been rather stellar. However, until you see it, in a Big Time environment on the road, versus the favorite to win the conference ... Penix needs to be looked at right next to Hooker, for best QB.

Vegas had LSU winning at 3.5 ... If I were the type of person to bet, I would have been on that in a heartbeat ... and I would have lost money, because Arkansas kept the Tigers offense to 13 point. The final was 13-10 = Vegas made a Vault load off of this game. These guys get paid to do this sort of thing for a reason.

Ole Miss was looking to put it in the end zone to finish out the game. They got all the way down there, only for Kiffin to call a QB draw on first down ... they lost yards. It threw off the rhythm, as they had to pass with the clock moving. 4th down, incomplete in the end zone, Alabama takes the knee and goes home with a W.

UCF / Tulane ... this did not disappoint. Early on, UCF looked like they were just going to runoff with it. Then, Tulane started to scrap their way back into things. When they had tied it up, there was a complete shift in the atmosphere. The belief was real. A dynamic play or two, and UCF was back in the lead. It had that feel as though this was all wrapped up, but Tulane somehow kept staying in it. The Knights held the ball for 8 minutes, and put it in the end zone taking a 14 point lead with 3:32 left. The Green Wave went down the field in 1:46, and got within 7. The Onside attempt went out of bounds, which allowed UCF to kneel away the rest, for a 38-31 victory. The loss may be what keeps Tulane out of the New Year's 6 running.

West Virginia / Oklahoma ... I wanted to put this game in the predictions, but figured we'd all just take the Sooners. The Mountaineers put up more points in their win vs OU than Virginia & Virginia Tech put up, total, in their losing efforts to Pitt & Duke.

Vanderbilt ... beat ... Kentucky ... in Lexington = Let that one sink in.

James Madison came to life, and looked very much like the team they were when they started the season. Old Dominion had fallen off, I know. But JMU was on a 3 game losing streak. They averaged only 11 points in their last two games. So, winning 37-3 must have been a morale booster. When the wheels fall off, and the team stops believing in themselves, you have a messy end to the season brewing. A game such as this could spark a surge.

Troy looks to be on a Collision Course with Coastal Carolina for the Sun Belt Championship. They are 8-2, with only one in conference loss, as the other is to Ole Miss. Even had they lost to Army today, it would not have changed the trajectory of the Troy - v- CCU matchup, as Army is an Independent. It didn't stop the Black Knights from giving the Trojans all they could handle. The final there was 10-9. A loss there, may have bumped Troy to a lower tier Bowl, because Army is 3-6.

Speaking of Coastal Carolina ... they could be heading to a New Year's 6 game, especially now, with Liberty losing to UConn, and Tulane's loss to UCF. But, Southern Miss wasn't going to let that happen without at least making some noise. It wasn't pretty, but the Chanticleers got the win, 26-23 --- Time of Possession: Coastal = 30:30 - Southern Miss = 29:30 --- Total Yards: Southern Miss = 365 - Coastal Carolina = 361 --- 1st Downs: Southern Miss = 20 --- Coastal Carolina = 18 --- Turnovers: Southern Miss = 1 --- Coastal Carolina = 2 --- Penalties: Southern Miss = 8 / 78 yrds - Coastal Carolina = 7 / 56 yrds ----- Yep, the game was that close.

Texas A&M ... their fans have been amazingly quiet this season. Wonder why that could be. O', maybe it has something to do with the fact they were playing Auburn, for last place in the SEC. After today, the Aggies Faithful may be ready to pull out the Pitchforks & Torches on their way to Jimbo's house. Vanderbilt and Auburn winning means A&M is dead last last in conference. My, oh my, oh my!

The game was in Waco ... so I expected this to be a well fought game. But, Baylor got manhandled. K-State walked all over them. 31-3 ..? There are bad games, and then there are the "Where were you guys". Bears fans are understandably perplexed. All while, Kansas State fans are thinking Big XII Championship game.

When you kick a Field Goal to go up 20-7 and hold that lead until the halfway point of the 3rd quart, against the 2cnd, maybe 3rd, worst team in your conference ... How do you lose the game; N.C. State? Boston College is terrible. And you had absolute control of the game. Then, somehow you manage to Elmer Fudd your way to a 1 point loss.

The Rivalry is real ... Wake did what they could to upset the projection; North Carolina manages to escape with a 2 point win. Seems as though we have Tarheels/Tigers pairing in the ACC title game, looming.

Speaking of Real Rivals ... Notre Dame - v - Navy looked to be one of those little guys getting trampled over scenarios. Nuh-Uh!! Said Navy. The Midshipmen threw everything they had at the Leprechauns. ND squeaks outta there with a 35-33 win. After last week, I don't think the Dome Hive imagined it could get that close.

Texas Tech billy-jacks Kansas, 43-28 ... I don't know what to make of the Jayhawks. Could be they just stepped into an emotional game for the Raiders, looking to have a strong finish vs a team moving the needle. But it felt like Kansas was simply out of sorts in this game.

O'Yeah ... Miami won. And, surprisingly, it was a well played game. Yes, Ga Tech is about as low on the totem pole as you can get. However, the Yellow Jackets defense was 5th in the nation against the run. And that's what Miami did to beat them. 353 Total Yards, with No Turnovers. huh? Who'da Thunk it?

A-aand ... As I finish this up; UCLA falls to Arizona. FOX did right by themselves to have this one on, as the late game. On the road, against all odds, Arizona gets the win in the Rose Bowl stadium, upsetting the #12 Bruins, 34-28. This was a game where the Wildcats jumped out to an early lead. When UCLA started making their comeback, it looked like one of those changing of momentum avalanches forming. Arizona wouldn't go away, and fought like hell to stay in it. Even when UCLA would take the lead, Arizona had no quit. The second half became a back'n'forth event. This one was entertaining. Almost too bad that it ended. It was a game that left me wanting more.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: So, This Happened ...

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:59 am

Bert pulled me in too. I should have known better.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:37 pm

Yep, these games are all over the place, I was scoreboard watching at the game yesterday and I was feeling good about the picks……. and then I wasn’t.

Everything when well in Morgantown yesterday except for the weather. The eye of of that ‘hurricane’ came right up the middle of the State and brought steady and gusty winds and those tiny raindrops. There were ponchos a plenty throughout the stadium.

I just have to mention what a great job ‘The Pride’ does for Veterans Day during their halftime show. First Class…….

Gotta hand it to the Coaches, JT Daniels was struggling when it was decided to bring in Garrett Greene, a running quarterback. That move proved to be the difference maker in the game and as time expired Casey Legg’s field goal attempt split the uprights.

It’s good to hear the fans singing ‘Country Roads’ again……. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:06 pm

My niece was a member of the pride. She is alumni now. Nice to see the Eer's fans get that win.

Ohio State's 5th TD pass could have been construed as piling on yesterday. It wasn't. Kam Babb, who caught the TD pass, is a 5th year player who has had four ACL tears and a meniscus tear since his senior year in high school. It was the fist TD of Babb's career and the celebration lasted five to eight minutes. No flag from the refs of complaints from Indiana's coaches. Everyone was happy for a kid who came to Ohio State with huge aspirations and has never been healthy enough to try and achieve them. He has his degree. He is part of the brotherhood and now he has caught a TD pass for Ohio State. Really cool story about perseverance.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:25 pm

Spence wrote:My niece was a member of the pride. She is alumni now. Nice to see the Eer's fans get that win.

Ohio State's 5th TD pass could have been construed as piling on yesterday. It wasn't. Kam Babb, who caught the TD pass, is a 5th year player who has had four ACL tears and a meniscus tear since his senior year in high school. It was the fist TD of Babb's career and the celebration lasted five to eight minutes. No flag from the refs of complaints from Indiana's coaches. Everyone was happy for a kid who came to Ohio State with huge aspirations and has never been healthy enough to try and achieve them. He has his degree. He is part of the brotherhood and now he has caught a TD pass for Ohio State. Really cool story about perseverance.

……..yep, I thought you might pass that along to her. They ask all the Vets to stand and be acknowledged,……. I do really well and enjoy the tribute until the older vets feebly stand-up in my section and they’re emotional. Whew……
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:26 pm

Mountainman wrote:Yep, these games are all over the place, I was scoreboard watching at the game yesterday and I was feeling good about the picks……. and then I wasn’t.

Everything when well in Morgantown yesterday except for the weather. The eye of of that ‘hurricane’ came right up the middle of the State and brought steady and gusty winds and those tiny raindrops. There were ponchos a plenty throughout the stadium.

I just have to mention what a great job ‘The Pride’ does for Veterans Day during their halftime show. First Class…….

Gotta hand it to the Coaches, JT Daniels was struggling when it was decided to bring in Garrett Greene, a running quarterback. That move proved to be the difference maker in the game and as time expired Casey Legg’s field goal attempt split the uprights.

It’s good to hear the fans singing ‘Country Roads’ again……. :wink:

How'bout beating them Sooners at home, finally ...

And, with West Virginia beating Oklahoma, yesterday; The Sooners are 5-5, having 5 conference losses for the first time since 1998.

The UConn Huskies are 6-5, and are Bowl eligible, before Oklahoma.

To reach Bowl eligibility, Oklahoma has to win at least one more game versus either Oklahoma St in Bedlam this weekend [which is in Norman, at least], or on the road in Lubbock against Texas Tech [who is also 5-5 in need of one more win for eligibility].

Sometimes, the stories aren't just about the race for the playoffs. 8)

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:44 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:My niece was a member of the pride. She is alumni now. Nice to see the Eer's fans get that win.

……..yep, I thought you might pass that along to her. They ask all the Vets to stand and be acknowledged,……. I do really well and enjoy the tribute until the older vets feebly stand-up in my section and they’re emotional. Whew……

I sure will. I should see her in a couple weeks.

Return to “General Discussion”