Through the mud, the blood, and the beer………

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Through the mud, the blood, and the beer………

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:56 am

……….College Football Season is finally here. 8)

I seem to have lost my edge….. maybe a win at Pittsburgh this Thursday will help. :wink:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Through the mud, the blood, and the beer………

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:51 pm

Or maybe just beer!
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Mountainman wrote:……….College Football Season is finally here. 8)

I seem to have lost my edge….. .

I'm sure Scott Frost is pontificating that very same sentiment right about now ...

And will be for his 6 hours time difference trip home.

All while, Pat Fitzgerald is sitting by the side with a mischievous grin, ole Calvin [and Hobbes] would be envious of.

Of course, Frost is envious of Fitzgerald's favorite Letter -----> W.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:12 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:

I'm sure Scott Frost is pontificating that very same sentiment right about now ...

All while, Pat Fitzgerald is sitting by the side with a mischievous grin, ole Calvin [and Hobbes] would be envious of.

"If I had it over, I wouldn't make the call," said Frost of the onside kick. :roll:

Ya think??????? :lol:

”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:18 pm

Mountainman wrote:

"If I had it over, I wouldn't make the call," said Frost of the onside kick. :roll:

Ya think??????? :lol: .

Now, is that hindsight, or foresight for next week?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:01 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Well, based on the what we saw today, Coach Frost has shown no evidence of foresight, so I’d conclude that it’s hindsight……… :roll:

If Elvira has taught me anything……. It’s that there’s no such thing as foresight in College Football. There’re only consequences. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:25 pm

hate that i missed all the games today. But I could sit down and watch Vandy lose to Hawaii, but I don't have the stomach for it.

Glad the season has started back, but I'm not 100% confident in Ga's offense this year. Never been a big fan of Stetson Bennett, and I'm not sure why Kirby Smart is either. But we'll see. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:07 am

Derek wrote:Glad the season has started back, but I'm not 100% confident in Ga's offense this year. Never been a big fan of Stetson Bennett, and I'm not sure why Kirby Smart is either. But we'll see. 8)

We'll see ...

Ought to know a little bit of something after game 1 ...

Oregon is certainly credible enough to evaluate where your teams strengths are, or are not.

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:15 am

Derek wrote:hate that i missed all the games today. But I could sit down and watch Vandy lose to Hawaii, but I don't have the stomach for it. 8)

Guess not ...

The Commodores are up 49-10 ...

So far, they've run the ball somewhere near 350+ yards.

And the 4th quarter hasn't started yet.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:28 am

Derek wrote:hate that i missed all the games today. But I could sit down and watch Vandy lose to Hawaii, but I don't have the stomach for it.

Glad the season has started back, but I'm not 100% confident in Ga's offense this year. Never been a big fan of Stetson Bennett, and I'm not sure why Kirby Smart is either. But we'll see. 8)

Hey Derek……. :D

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:23 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Well, based on the what we saw today, Coach Frost has shown no evidence of foresight, so I’d conclude that it’s hindsight……… :roll:

If Elvira has taught me anything……. It’s that there’s no such thing as foresight in College Football. There’re only consequences. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Speaking of consequences……. Pat Forde mentions one. 8)

https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/27/n ... cant-coach

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:41 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Mountainman wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

If Elvira has taught me anything……. It’s that there’s no such thing as foresight in College Football. There’re only consequences. :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Speaking of consequences……. Pat Forde mentions one. 8)

https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/27/n ... cant-coach

You know ...

If you are going to attempt an onside kick; maybe tell your kicker to boot it toward a blocking personnel with taped knuckles, and not to B-Line it at a Running Back.

As per the post game presser ...

The media sure turned on him, though. They called for the last question, about was it hard for him to not be the offensive play caller.

Then, before they end, someone blurted out, "Over here, just one more question coach. If things don't start going in the right direction, is there any point were you would consider stepping down?"

I appreciate his immediate "No. Absolutely not" response. There was zero hesitation, as he said, "I Love Nebraska, and I'm going to fight with the guys, as long as I can fight". It shows he won't be subject to media pressure.

Cane... [__]

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:06 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Derek wrote:hate that i missed all the games today. But I could sit down and watch Vandy lose to Hawaii, but I don't have the stomach for it.

Hey Derek……. :D

Hey, I was up in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago in Wheeling. Landed at the airport there due to weather.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:36 pm

Mountainman wrote:

This didn't age particularly well ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XU8vudpJsQ

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:18 am

Mountainman wrote:

This didn't age particularly well ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XU8vudpJsQ

I watched the replay of the game yesterday…….. I can understand why he may have decided to try the onside kick. Northwestern was running the ball down the Huskers throat and there was nothing they tried would stop it.

I think he was thinking ‘I need time off the clock and another score to win this thing.’ So, he rolled the dice………. and as we know, any time you roll those dice, it can come up ‘Snake Eyes’. 8)

Last edited by Mountainman on Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”