boise state/BCS

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:42 am

Footnote wrote:Fiesta Bowl gets the Big 12 champion, and that SHOULD be the 'Horns. According to what I read in the Austin newspaper, the Fiesta Bowl is the last of the BCS bowls that gets to pick its at-large team. If Boise State is in the BCS, it seems a foregone conclusion that the other bowls will be picking -- what's the best way to put this -- teams that people actually would want to watch. Thus, when it's time for the Fiesta folks to invite a team, it's pretty safe to predict BSU will still be available.

According to my understanding....which is not that great...started in the third grade when Mrs. Mooberry (they named a school after her) said...Donnie...do you not understand a thing I said....they do pick last...kind of like when you were on the playground and the last person picked...which was really distressing because they always pick Sally Jones before me and she wore orthopedic shoes....you are correct.

So BSU gets picked last....because nobody cares. And...the Fiesta Bowl gets the NC so they make money there and all is well with what is important.

............BUT......this weekends voting is crucial...If those communists that vote do what I suspect...cast their ballots to manipulate the bowl line ups....(This conspiracy theory ranks right up there with Roswell and the single bullet ones)..... Boise will stay right where they are. (Though it is easy to kick BSU around, nobody wants to see Rutgers or Louisville either...may be a Cinderella story...but TV demands Ohio State and Florida....and realistically.....If they can get Ohio State and USC...that is the highest rating....

Do I like this....no....Think I will go daydream so more about Mrs. Mooberry...she was hot.. to a third grader so very long ago....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BYUfan1 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:13 pm

donovan wrote:
Footnote wrote:So BSU gets picked last....because nobody cares. (Though it is easy to kick BSU around, nobody wants to see Rutgers or Louisville either

Boise State would get picked last because their status is lower than everyone elses and bowl committee chairmen would worry about ratings, attendance from the hometown fans, and Boise State's ability to travel well.

I could not disagree more about no one caring. Their respect level is not high but their watchability factor is. They are an enjoyable team to watch and I think it would be interesting to see what they would do against one of the big boys.

I think Louisville has one of the best offenses in college football and Rutgers has a strong running attack and a good defense. I don't find Michigan, Florida, or Auburn that enjoyable to watch. I would put all those 3 below Boise State, Rutgers, and Louisville as far as viewer enjoyment is concerned.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:08 pm

Irish88 wrote:Boise only needs to be in the top 12 of the BCS rankings or be ranked in the top 16 with a ranking higher than that of a conference champ to get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl. Thanks to the ACC, this may be a real possibility, since Boise is sitting at 14 in the rankings and only needs to beat San Jose State to keep this BCS possibility alive.

Boise St, is anything but a 'lock' for the Fiesta Bowl, even with their 'heralded' win against the SJSU Spartans.
To be selected 'automatically', they necessarily have to finish ranked 'higher' than any major conference champion.
W.F. is gaining 'momentum' may pass Boise St in the polls. Wisconsin, is already ranked ahead of Boise St (as are other one-loss teams). Boise St, better pray for a miracle, and not lose a game, if they want to be in any BCS bowl. Lose, they are gone. Win-out, they still need 'help. SJSU is about 'par' with Northwestern as a football program. Not too bad.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: boise state/BCS

Postby Derek » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:02 pm

irish88 wrote:The scenario: Texas, brought low in the race for BCS position by their Sam Houston State matchup, gets the Fiesta Bowl bid. Boise only needs to be in the top 12 of the BCS rankings or be ranked in the top 16 with a ranking higher than that of a conference champ to get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl. Thanks to the ACC, this may be a real possibility, since Boise is sitting at 14 in the rankings and only needs to beat San Jose State to keep this BCS possibility alive.

i found this piece while searching another college football site.
Brad Edwards, the ESPN numbers guy was the one who mentioned the above statement .

i understand how boise could end up in the BCS . . i don't understand the Texas attachment to the fiesta bowl . .anyone ???

Here's a prediction you can take to the BANK!!!

GT will win the ACC and still be ranked lower than Boise State. Thereby giving Boise the BCS berth. Watch! 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Hogs behind Rutgers

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Arkansas ranked 7th behind Rutgers in current BCS poll.

Rutgers #6 ranking is largely due to the computers, as they have them ranked 2nd, while Ohio St is ranked 3rd by the computers. What is up with that?

http://footballfoundation.com/pdf/bcs06/111206s.pdf
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:54 pm

Ohio State is getting hurt by their SOS. Texas losing didn't help that. Michigan has Wisconsin and Notre Dame proping them up. I understand the computers on that. If Ohio State wins Saturday, they will absorb Michigan's SOS and all will be right with the world. If they lose to Michigan, then they weren't #1 to start with so it doesn't matter.
Last edited by Spence on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:50 pm

What is hurting Arkansas in the computers is that they are helping SC more then they are helping them selves. Arkansas really needs Cal to beat SC and then for SC to beat Notre Dame.

Eric

Re: boise state/BCS

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:57 am

Derek wrote:
irish88 wrote:The scenario: Texas, brought low in the race for BCS position by their Sam Houston State matchup, gets the Fiesta Bowl bid. Boise only needs to be in the top 12 of the BCS rankings or be ranked in the top 16 with a ranking higher than that of a conference champ to get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl. Thanks to the ACC, this may be a real possibility, since Boise is sitting at 14 in the rankings and only needs to beat San Jose State to keep this BCS possibility alive.

i found this piece while searching another college football site.
Brad Edwards, the ESPN numbers guy was the one who mentioned the above statement .

i understand how boise could end up in the BCS . . i don't understand the Texas attachment to the fiesta bowl . .anyone ???

Here's a prediction you can take to the BANK!!!

GT will win the ACC and still be ranked lower than Boise State. Thereby giving Boise the BCS berth. Watch! 8)

Alright, Derek! Looks like you and I rode the Georgia Tech bandwagon all the way! :D 8)

There's still some football to be played though...
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:25 am

Well....not a prophet...but as I prophecied..Boise wins..albeit as game ending kick and a rest of a game that was somewhat less than stellar against a team that is not that bad (San Jose is another team that had issues and Dick Tomey goes in and puts them on track....but that is another story.....and Boise stays ..up one..the same in the BCS. Why you say...well I know what this site says..lousy schedule, play a soft game..etc....fact is....they have won....will they make the BCS..who kows.....have never thought they would. Will they beat Nevada..yes...Nevada is not the Nevada of old....but in the end...

In the end....these bubble spots will go to the teams that..

1. Will sell the tickets to fill the stadium.....number one priority....
2. Have a TV presence that will give the highest possible ratings.
3. Are from the EAST Coast.

Other than number one...Boise is out.

The problem with this is......is Boise goes undefeated and does not make it....there will be significant concern about the BCS...(This may be there best hope)....When you have 119 schools represented...and the cards are always stacked in favor of the "big eight or nine"...and an undefeated team can not make even the Dreg Bowl....then what hope ....and what reason....do the bottoms feeders have to support such a program...College Presidents decide these matters..not coaches..and every school has one vote. So.....if the possibility is taken from those that are suppose to be grateful that they can even be on a list with the "chosen"....this will not cut it. Politics and money...under the guise of Computers and Polls drives all of this.

Anyway......Boise needed to control the game...not necessarily run up a big score...they did neither......

Got 2" of rain today.....
Last edited by donovan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:21 am

If Boise State goes undefeated they will be in a BCS bowl. You are right that money and politics are involved in the decision, but not to the extent that you think. The body of work that a team turns in matters. If Boise State had beaten USC instead of Oregon State and then had beaten say Nebraska, they would be in the running for the big game.

There isn't as much an East-West bias as there is a major-mid major bias. But a team can over come by beating a couple of good teams as Utah did a few years ago.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:30 am

Spence wrote:If Boise State goes undefeated they will be in a BCS bowl. You are right that money and politics are involved in the decision, but not to the extent that you think. The body of work that a team turns in matters. If Boise State had beaten USC instead of Oregon State and then had beaten say Nebraska, they would be in the running for the big game.

There isn't as much an East-West bias as there is a major-mid major bias. But a team can over come by beating a couple of good teams as Utah did a few years ago.

There may not be as little influence of money and politic as you think...those of course are the choices...

I think you are right about the major -mid major issue...however.....that has some geographical basis and......look at the number of western schools in the hunt....

Will suggest we schedule Ball State...that seems to work.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:08 am

It wasn't Ball State, it was Wisconsin and Notre Dame that buoyed Michigan, but you knew that. :wink:

Teams with "names" get more poll respect then teams without "names". I am not saying that is fair, but it is human nature. That is the main bias. If USC or UCLA does very well, they get noticed. If Nebraska does well, the get noticed. If it is just an East-West coast thing, why has Wake Forest had so much trouble getting respect in the polls? It has to do more with the program, than where the program is located. I am not saying that is right, just that is how CFB works.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:51 pm

Spence wrote:It wasn't Ball State, it was Wisconsin and Notre Dame that buoyed Michigan, but you knew that. :wink:

Of course...but how does that help my weak case...

As for the others..you are right...but since has correctness of facts and issues every tainted my core beliefs.....

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Well....although Boise did not look that great against San Jose, there are some mitigating factors. First the QB, Jared Zabransky, was ill with the flu and not that sharp. Also the star running back Ian Johnson was injured with a collasped lung in the first part of the game. Not great excuses, happens to all teams...but one of the difference between Big schools and the insignificants is depth...As always hope all is well..

Here is the link...because this site has standards...kind of.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6167008

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:39 pm

Boise State is a good team, they deserve their ranking. I think most people believe that. If they continue undefeated I think they will have deserved their BCS bid.

I know people from smaller conferences get tired of hearing that they aren't deep enough to make it through a major conference schedule, but the truth is that several teams from major conferences aren't deep enough either. You have 10-12 teams from around the nation who are the teams that get most of the blue chip players. They have most of the money and they have lots to say about how the money is spread out. They are the teams that never are "down" for very long. They are the teams who get the "benefit of the doubt" when determining the best teams. Proof of that was when Billybud offer $1000 cfp to anyone who would take Wake Forest over Florida State. As bad as Florida State has played all year, no one would touch it. It wasn't even real money and no one would touch it.

Boise State is better or at least as good as 107 teams in the country. They would be competitive in any conference this year. Maybe they could win on, maybe not, but they would be competitive. Over all I think the lack of depth would hurt them in most of the bigger conferences, but then if they played on a bigger conference they might not be able to get the depth that they have now.

Return to “General Discussion”