Going to the Game, Kent Vs. Va Tech

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Going to the Game, Kent Vs. Va Tech

Postby Vileborg » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:47 am

I've been a Virginia Tech fan for about fifteen years, not a record by any means, but for many reasons I've never made it to a Va Tech game. I had resigned myself to enjoying them play from the safety of many living rooms. I even worked for a time in Bluefield, some 30mins away, but was never able to get tickets. Christmas time rolls around, and my family spends ages trying to figure out what I want, and sadly they just don't understand, I have my family, and thats enough for me.
Well in an effort to surprise me on a rare occasion my mother produced two tickets to see Kent St Vs. Va Tech. Never in my life do I think anyone could have figured out a better present. I was institutionalized to the idea that I would forever be watching my team from the confines of some living room. Sadly, she almost didn't get the tickets, because it was "Kent St.". Me, personally, I'd rather see Va. Tech blow out Kent St. by 50 points, enjoying a huge victory, and a fantastic display of Va. Tech football. I'm hoping the score is so badly skewed that the whole world remembers the day I went to Lane Stadium, I know I will, regardless of the score. I only hope that I have the oppourtunity to meet some of the players, and hopefully shake a few coaches hands, and thank them for the many memories, and players they have coached.

If you happen to be at the game I will be at:

Sec 202 Row F Seats 15&16

It says something about South End Zone, I've never been to the stadium so I have no way of knowing if thats important.

Sincerely,
Chris A.K.A. Vileborg

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:15 am

They could give you info but... they're already in Blacksburg. Went up there yesterday.

I've got no idea where their seats are at, though. If I talk to ..Fanatic I'll ask him.

End zone seats are decent... the Fanatic family usually sits down that way. I prefer being around the 20-30 yard line, half way up the stands =] Sitting in the end zone makes everyone a big blur in my opinion.

Have a good time, Vileborg. You'll enjoy it. (Too bad it's not a bigger game... although after last weeks win, the crowd might be a bit more into it... one can only hope.)

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:26 am

Enjoy the game, Vileborg. :D

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:21 pm

I looked it up on the web, and it's in the South End Zone. Not 50 yard line by any means, but the biggest experience for me is going to be Lane Stadium, surrounded by 50,000 other fans all voicing their support of my team with me. I fully expect to be unable to talk at all for a month or so.
Well, I'm about to leave to head up there, won't have anyway to get anymore information. If anyone goes to the game feel free to drop in, and introduce yourself. If you wait too long into the game I probably won't be able to talk though.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:17 pm

When it is your first time you could be sitting in the top row of the stadium and it doesn't matter. After 10 or 12 times you start inquiring how to get closer. :lol: Have a good time.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:09 pm

So, Vileborg, did you find it fairly exciting?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:55 pm

Spence wrote:When it is your first time you could be sitting in the top row of the stadium and it doesn't matter. After 10 or 12 times you start inquiring how to get closer.

I could disagree with that. I've been about 10 or 12 times and I actually prefer to be at the top of the stands, around the 30. It's a gorgeous view, especially when it starts to snow... two years ago, against... I don't remember who... I was sitting at the top of the stands (literally, back against the wall), and you could just see a wall of white approaching. My entire family left me up there in search of shelter, but I enjoyed every second of it. Besides, you also get a better overall picture of the game (in my opinion). Too close to the field, or too close to the endzones, and everyone becomes one big blob of maroon and orange.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:10 pm

Spence wrote:When it is your first time you could be sitting in the top row of the stadium and it doesn't matter. After 10 or 12 times you start inquiring how to get closer. :lol: Have a good time.

Not me.

My seats that I had since 1962 were in the east balcony row 14
If they were two rows higher I would not be is the stadium.

They were good seat as we never had trouble seeing what was happening on the other end on the field as our seat were on the north 25 yard line.

Some people do not like it being that high up but all the people in our section
enjoyed them.
Most of us got them about the same time.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:51 pm

I guess it depends on the stadium. At Ohio Stadium when there are 90, 000 people between you and the field, it gets hard to read the numbers.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:50 pm

Or see the cheerleaders...that's why binoculars were invented.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:54 pm

When you have to use binoculars, though, the sports bar close to the stadium is a much better option.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:04 pm

My seats are not near the top (seniority over 34 years)...but I have been known to go to the top rows with my binocs...I can see holes, patterns, that I don't see from my seats. Looking down on the field from a bird's eye view gives me a different panarama. And I sometime will watch a quarter from the top of the stands if no one is one the wall.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:48 pm

Vileborg wrote:I looked it up on the web, and it's in the South End Zone. Not 50 yard line by any means, but the biggest experience for me is going to be Lane Stadium, surrounded by 50,000 other fans all voicing their support of my team with me. I fully expect to be unable to talk at all for a month or so.
Well, I'm about to leave to head up there, won't have anyway to get anymore information. If anyone goes to the game feel free to drop in, and introduce yourself. If you wait too long into the game I probably won't be able to talk though.

I guess I should have looked you up while I was there. We "traded Up" outside the stadium to 50-yard line seats for face value - must have been 50,000 no-shows to the game as everyone expected a 70-0 blowout by Virginia Tech. The offense's performance was troublesome but Kent State came to play. The local paper didn't help when it's entire two-page pregame analysis insisted that Kent State basically sucked and we'd have second-stringers in the game in the second quarter. Thanks a lot Roanoke Times. Next time, just provide analysis and tone down the over-hyped opinions.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Return to “General Discussion”